2012 KTM Freeride E - VOTED: Cool

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 KTM Freeride E is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2012 KTM Freeride E - VOTED: Cool

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2012 KTM Freeride E

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... ride-E.htm

2012 KTM Freeride E

A true revolution

That is the one and only fitting description of the Freeride E. As the first of the major motorcycle companies, KTM has taken on the challenge of developing a purely electrically driven off-road sport motorcycle for mass production. After more than three years of the most intense development, during which we sometimes broke completely new ground, the project “Freeride E” has finally materialised.

Based on the immense experience from the development of dozens of conventionally combustion-driven models, and driven by its hallmark ambition, KTM has come up with a product that is globally unique and truly one of a kind. Developed in-house, the electric motor drives the Freeride not just with a great dynamism, but also without emissions and almost silently. And that in turn opens up a significant expansion of its range of applications. Like any KTM, the Freeride E is about pure riding enjoyment.

But beyond that, the extremely complex project proves that with enough determination and innovation, it is possible to develop solutions for off-road motorcycling that are at the same time sporting and environmentally friendly. 2012 is only the beginning. KTM is already electrified and welcomes future challenges.

In 2012, the time has come – as the world’s first motorcycle manufacturer , KTM offers a racing off-road bike with electric drive. With its first Zero Emission motorbike, the global leader in off-road motorcycles launches an electrically-driven off-road sport bike to prove that riding fun and environmental sustainability are perfectly compatible.

This development is firmly rooted in KTM’s clear lead in off-road motorcycle racing and the company’s intention to aggressively expand this main strategic pillar – by launching a unique product which is the first of its kind. The revolutionary development embodies completely new perspectives, not only for KTM: In the long term, the Freeride E will also mean the end of exclusion zones, and will bring a new acceptance of motorcycle sports even inside urban areas. "Sporty Mobility" – is not just the buzzword of the future in Mattighofen.

KTM Freeride delivers the sporting spirit of the brand strictly according to KTM's "Ready to Race" principle and it vaults it straight into the 21st century with an all new philosophy and technology.

KTM’s courageous and logical approach is called Freeride E. A revolutionary bike, a 100% genuine KTM regarding technology, quality and sporting performance, which at the same time uses a powertrain technology thought to be nearly impossible to realize in a sport motorcycle until today. Globally unique in its radicalness, the vehicle is extremely light, highly dynamic and powerful while delivering emission free and nearly silent propulsion with its electric powertrain.

The revolutionary concept is one possible step in bringing off-roading closer to the metropolitan areas, as well as establishing riding areas in places where that used to be unthinkable. Ideally, this could draw the use of the sporting equipment closer to home. In addition it opens up opportunities to inspire new target groups with the fascinating world of off-road motorcycling.

New Challenge – New Technology – Proven Chassis

A 300V battery, power electronics developed by KTM and a brushless, synchronous motor made in Mattighofen which delivers a peak power of up to 22kW make for a high-performance powertrain and extreme riding fun that is not limited to tight and twisty tracks. With its 42Nm of torque, which – typical of electric motors – are available right off the start, it never needs to fear combustion-driven competitors.

Making for up to an hour of maximum electric power, 2.1kWh of energy storage mean unstoppable riding enjoyment. After that, riders who still have not enough can simply swap the battery thanks to a special quick change system, and are ready to go again in no time – and fully recharge the empty battery within 90 minutes. Considering the typical use of their off-road vehicles, KTM also went to a lot of effort to fully seal the complete drive and energy unit. Motor, power electronics, battery – any and all driveline components have been 100 per cent dust and water proofed. This means that neither tough terrain nor fording pose limits to the technology. It also means that the bike can be cleaned with a regular pressure washer in typical off-road fashion.

The completely new powertrain technology does require a different operation and some unique motion sequences. Thanks to its high-torque electric motor, the Freeride E is very easy to ride as it has neither a gearbox nor a clutch. Especially beginners benefit from this simplification – just hop on, open up and have fun! As no clutch lever is needed, both front and rear brakes can be operated from the handlebar like on a bicycle, although the right lever still operates the front brake like on any true motorbike.

Even experienced off-road riders will quickly discover just how much you can improve your riding style just by being able to fully concentrate on the ideal line and the possible variations that open up.

Just as the other KTM models, the Freeride E benefits from the company’s focus on uncompromising lightweight design across all components. The innovative, composite steel/aluminium chassis design, along with the use of top quality equipment and chassis parts throughout, drops the total weight to only 95kg. This is complemented by a suspension in the best “Ready to Race” tradition. Ultra-light 21-inch front and 18- inch rear wheels, compression and rebound adjustable suspension and an outstanding braking system with a four-pot calliper up front and a two-pot counterpart on the rear make the Freeride E a genuine KTM.

Safety

The Freeride E is the first production bike to use a high voltage design with 300 Volts, similar to electric cars. There is a good reason – the higher the voltage, the lower the electric current, which in turn means you can use smaller and lighter live electrical components. Any worries about the high voltage are unfounded, because right from the start, the KTM developers have made no compromise wherever safety is concerned.

For example, the complete vehicle safety concept complies with the ISO26262 standard and has also been elaborately tested and certified by the German GTÜ (Gesellschaft für technische Überwachung).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 KTM Freeride E - International Specifications/Technical Details
MSRP Price: See KTM dealer for pricing.

DRIVE UNIT

Electric motor - Permanent magnet synchronous motor in a disc armature design
Rated output - 7.5 kW (10 hp) @ 6000 rpm
Max. power - 22 kW (30 hp) @ 6000 rpm
Torque - 42 Nm @ 500 rpm
Max. motor speed - 6600 rpm
Traction battery - Lithium-ion (easily removed)
Rated voltage - 300 V
Energy - 2.1 kWh
Recharge time - 1.5 h

CHASSIS

Frame - Perimeter steel-aluminium composite frame
Subframe - Plastic
Handlebars - Aluminium Ø 28/22 mm
Front suspension - WP USD Ø 43 mm
Rear suspension - WP PDS shock absorber
Suspension travel front/rear - 250/260 mm
Brake front/rear - Formula disc brakes Ø 240/210 mm
Wheels front/rear - 1,60 x 21''; 1,85 x 18'' GIANT RIMS
Tires front/rear - 80/100-21"; 110/90-18"
Chain - 5/8 x 1/4"
Steering head angle - 67°
Wheelbase - 1418 ±10 mm
Ground clearance - 340
Seat height - 910 mm
Range - 20 min professional, 45 min amateur
Weight, approx. - 95 kg
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week: 2012 KTM Freeride E - VOTE NOW!

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

This is it! Our last bike on the 2011 Cool Wall and KTM's first electric motorcycle as well. Electric bikes seem to be gaining interst as many manufacturers are strating to dip their toes into the "electric water" (haha), but is this the future?

Enjoy!

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

The future? More then likely, however not with batteries or hybrids. Fuel cells most likely are the way forward. Actually I am impressed by the claimed 90 minute till fully recharged time....that's bloody good. So I am going to go cool this time, even though electric bikes and "dirt" bikes tend to leave me cold.
Always ask why.

rayian
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki SV650

#4 Unread post by rayian »

Looks like it could be a bit of fun. I'll go for cool.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted for: cool

I can see this working for "hobby/fun" bikes like Dirt bikes, where distance isn't as important as street bikes as the lack of sound and pollution can be an advantage (it might even open up more places to off road ride as well!). For street bikes, I am not so sure, sound is so much a part of the whole riding experience that as silent bike...

But for this 2012 KTM Freeride E, KTM did a really nice job of it! It's good to see KTM entering this market and with a real winner on their hands their first try out too.

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

ceemes wrote:The future? More then likely, however not with batteries or hybrids. Fuel cells most likely are the way forward. Actually I am impressed by the claimed 90 minute till fully recharged time....that's bloody good. So I am going to go cool this time, even though electric bikes and "dirt" bikes tend to leave me cold.
Yup, I have to agree, a "fully recharge the empty battery within 90 minutes" is awesome! That technology itself should even rank the Freeride E into the "Awesome" category as it's the fastest recharge time of any electric motorcycle I can think of!

Looking forward, I bet in 5 years time we see 30-40 min recharge times and a 120mile/200km range and you can do it at gas stations, thus making electric motorcycles completely viable (market willing).

Mike

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#7 Unread post by High_Side »

It would be interesting to know how much $$$ before voting but it does seem like a significant step forwards. I personally am not relishing the change to riding electric, but I have to admire KTM for pushing the envelope. Therefore I am down with awesome.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

High_Side wrote:It would be interesting to know how much $$$ before voting but it does seem like a significant step forwards. I personally am not relishing the change to riding electric, but I have to admire KTM for pushing the envelope. Therefore I am down with awesome.

Nothing for pricing yet in the USA, Canada or the UK... Although each have added a Freeride tab on their sites now...but very little information yet. TMW currently has more information about it than KTM it seems... haha.

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I just created the Cool Wall Award this morning/afternoon for the 2011 Total Motorcycle Cool Wall Award Presentation and I think you will be very impressed. :D

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#10 Unread post by sunshine229 »

I voted cool, even though I really struggled to vote on this one. This type of bike is definitely a step in the right direction but it's not a bike that I would run out to buy (and for me, to be voted cool I'd want to at least have an inkling of owning it...).

Kudos to KTM for continuing to stay at the top of their game by putting so much development into electric off-roads!

It is fabulous that off-road motorcycles are going in the direction of emission-free because the Canadian in me wants to see outdoor sports doing as little damage to the environment as possible. However, they have to keep working on the battery technology. At the moment the battery will go approx. 60 mins and then take 90 mins to charge. I wouldn't think this ratio would be acceptable for most people but I know it's only going to get better.

Unfortunately the first electric vehicles will become like the first PC, first digital camera, first colour TV's... they're great at the time for pushing the boundaries and moving into a new era but the technology requires many more years of development before it can become mainstream.
Andrea :sun: