2012 Honda NC700XA - VOTED: COOL

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Honda NC700XA is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2012 Honda NC700XA - VOTED: COOL

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2012 Honda NC700XA

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... C700XA.htm

2012 Honda NC700XA Review

Got somewhere to go? Don’t leave your bike at home. Hop on a Honda NC700XA, and rediscover the joys of motorcycling all over again.

It’s a jungle out there. City traffic, gravel backroads, construction zones, inclement weather... Is there a bike that can not only tackle all this, but actually make it fun? You bet there is: the all-new Honda NC700XA. What makes the NC700XA so practical for taming the jungle – including its huge storage area where the gas tank would be on most bikes – are also the things that make it such a joy to ride, on the street, highway, gravel road, you name it. The strong low-end and midrange torque from the 670 cc twin-cylinder engine allow you navigate through the city without having to constantly shift gears, and these same characteristics produce the strong acceleration that feels so satisfying when you’re pulling away from a stop sign or pulling out onto the highway. Even the sensible, upright riding position that gives you such a great view of the road and traffic ahead in the city, adds to the NC700XA’s pleasure by feeling so relaxed and comfortable on the open road.With its long-travel suspension, extra ground clearance, standard Combined Braking System with ABS, protective windshield, and optional Honda Genuine Accessories luggage, the NC700XA can also take you far from the city and into the real jungle – or at least into the out-of-the-way place.

The NC700X crossover offers the long-travel suspension, agility and commanding riding position of an off-road bike in an overall package with high standards of stability, braking and engine performance. It promises a fun, engaging riding experience together with the practicality and ease of use that make it a machine eminently suitable for daily commuting.

At the heart of the NC700X is a purpose-built engine and transmission package. The liquid-cooled, in-line 2-cylinder 670cc engine is a lightweight and compact unit with a low centre of gravity. It offers a very usable power delivery with strong levels of torque at low to medium rpm combined with low exhaust gas emissions and outstanding fuel economy (78.8mpg WMTC mode. Tested in D-Mode). On the NC700X there is the option to enjoy this new engine with the second generation of Honda's innovative Dual Clutch Transmission, offering both manual gear shifting and fully automatic functionality - a suitably advanced and versatile core for an innovative new motorcycle.

The NC700X has been designed with a secure internal storage space large enough to accommodate a full-face helmet, located where you would typically find the fuel tanks. It is also offered with Honda's Combined Anti-Lock Braking System (C-ABS) as an option. It offers the practicality of a commuter with easy handling in a crossover styling.

Available: Summer 2012

Honda’s new NC700X is a real breath of fresh air in today’s world of specialized motorcycles, a new concept in streetbikes, and one that puts the FUN in Functional. During the week it’s an awesome commuter. On the weekend it lets you go exploring in the country, or carve up a twisty canyon road. Light, nimble, and with an engine that offers a generous helping of useable torque, it’s all wrapped up in a package that’s big enough for longer rides, but not a handful in tight traffic or in a parking lot. And to sweeten the deal, it’s even available in two versions: one model features a conventional six-speed, manual-clutch transmission, while a second version is available with the latest generation of Honda’s exclusive automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT). Plus, the DCT version comes with Honda’s revolutionary Combined ABS!

2012 Honda NC700XA Key Features

Designed to be light and compact, extremely stingy on fuel, and to conserve resources during manufacturing, the all-new 670 cc, liquid-cooled, inline-twin engine used in the NC700XA incorporates numerous advanced and patented technologies..

The engine’s inline cylinders are canted forward by 62 degrees to help create a low overall centre of gravity for nimble, confidence-inspiring handling, and also to create room for a convenient central storage area where the cylinders and fuel tank would typically be..

To give the engine a satisfying and distinctive sound and feel, engineers thought way outside the box. A 270-degree crankshaft combined with a uniaxial primary counterbalance shaft creates a pulse much like that of a V-twin. The intake-port layout inside the cylinder head was carefully designed to create an intentional interference between adjacent ports, which results in subtle combustion variations. In addition, the timing for the opening and closing of the intake valves was set separately for each cylinder. The result? An engine that lets you know what it’s doing every time you twist the throttle..

To ensure strong acceleration, ease-of-use in the city, and a relaxed character on the highway, the engine delivers exceptionally strong low-rpm performance. The unique design creates a muscular, easy-to-use powerband not unlike that of a big-bore cruiser..

The six-speed manual transmission complements the powerband by using wide gear ratios – no need to be constantly shifting up and down to maintain strong performance..

Through the use of friction-reducing technologies, integrated components (such as running the oil pump using the counterbalance shaft and the water pump using the camshaft, which reduces the number of shafts required), precise PGM-FI electronic fuel-injection and efficient combustion, the NC700XA engine delivers exceptional fuel economy..

The engine’s efficient use of fuel enables the use of a smaller-volume, more-compact fuel tank that still allows ample riding range while giving engineers extra freedom to re-think the optimal placement of other components..

The exhaust catalytic converter sits directly beneath the exhaust ports and is activated early when the engine starts. This design lets the combustion gas pass through the catalyst while it is at its hottest, thereby maximizing purification efficiency. In fact, emissions are half of what is required by the strict Euro 3 emissions standard.

Chassis/Suspension

Although lightweight, the diamond-shaped steel-tube frame was carefully designed to be very sturdy while also allowing just enough flexibility to respond smoothly to changing road surfaces. This “tuned flexibility” produces a smooth ride while also letting you feel what the bike is doing. The result? Comfort when you’re just cruising, and a sporty, fun ride when you’re on your favourite twisty backroad..

Like the engine, the chassis is all about creating a ride that’s fun and user-friendly. The seating position is comfortably upright and relaxed, and the chassis geometry allows the NC700XA to nimbly manoeuvre through the city..

Honda’s Combined Braking System with ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) provides added confidence during sudden stops or when the road is wet or slippery. Specially designed wave-style brake rotors not only keep unsprung weight low, they also require less energy and use less material during production because the rear rotor fits precisely inside the front rotor, allowing them to be stamped out of a single sheet of stainless steel at once.

Additional Features

The shape of the seat and its low height help to make it easy for you to extend your legs and reach the ground. And the handlebar position provides more room around your knees and arms for greater freedom of movement..

The 14.1-litre fuel tank is accessed beneath the seat at the rear of the bike, and the fuel is stored beneath the rider. The tail cowl has been cut short to bring the mass forward, and handy grips have been integrated into the tail section for passenger security..

Where the fuel tank would be on most bikes, the NC700XA instead has a large-capacity (21 litres), lockable utility compartment that’s big enough to hold an XL-size helmet. Don’t want to carry all your gear when you arrive at your destination? This handy compartment allows you to quickly stash your helmet, gloves and more out of sight. Need to hop down to the corner store for a few dinner supplies? The NC700XA makes it easy.

---------------------------------
2012 Honda NC700XA - American Specifications
USD MSRP Price - $6,999 USD

Engine Type Liquid-cooled parallel-twin
Displacement 670 cc
Bore & Stroke 73 x 80 mm
Compression Ratio 10.7:1
Valve Train Chain driven SOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Fuel Delivery PGM-FI electronic fuel injection
Transmission Six-speed
Final Drive O-ring sealed chain
Front Suspension 41mm telescopic fork; 120 mm (4.7 in.)travel
Rear Suspension Single shock, Pro-Link swingarm; 120 mm (4.7 in.) travel
Tires 120/70ZR - 17 radial front; 160/60ZR - 17 radial rear
Brakes Front 320 mm wave disc with triple-piston caliper; rear 240 mm wave disc with single-piston caliper. Combined Braking System with ABS
Ground Clearance n/a
Seat Height 790 mm (31.1 in.)
Wheelbase 1,525 mm (60 in.)
Curb Weight 215 kg (473 lb) including required fluids and full tank of gas - ready to ride
Fuel Capacity 14.1 litres
Colour Seal Silver Metallic with Thunder Yellow
Warranty 1 year, unlimited mileage, freely transferable warranty; extended coverage available with Honda Plus

Additional Information:

Max. Power Output 38.1kW/6,250min-1 (35kW/6,250min-1 - 95/1/EC)
Max. Torque 60Nm/4,750min-1 (95/1/EC)

Candian proposed pricing: $8,990
UK pricing: 5,850

Engine
Parallel twin, liquid cooled, SOHC 8v, 670cc
51Hp@6250rpm, 44lb.ft@4750rpm
4.04L/100kms...14.1L fuel tank

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... C700XA.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week: 2012 Honda NC700XA - VOTE NOW!

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Thanks madjak30 for suggesting this model for the Cool Wall!

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#3 Unread post by madjak30 »

No problem...it was the surprise bike for me at the bike show...I think it is the ideal do it all bike...commuter, learner, adventure (lite), green machine...not sure it will do that well on the COOL WALL but I think the concept is what people have been asking for for quite a while...reasonable weight & low center of gravity, which inspire confidence in a newer rider...and decent power and torque so that you aren't looking for your next bike within a month or two...if you are looking for the next greatest sport bike, look elsewhere...but if you are looking for the modern version of the old faithful UJM, this checks a lot of the right boxes!!

I think if you can only afford one bike, this might just be the one for you...I thought that was the case for my last bike, the Suzuki GS500...but found it lacked torque, since wind & hills would cause it to loose speed (at hiway pace)...so this bike with only 50lbs more weight, but 50% more torque...it should fit the bill 8)

It has come up on every forum that I am part of...and I didn't bring it up on all of them... :wink:

I voted: COOL
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#4 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Love the concept, just wish it was better looking. This whole class of bikes isn't exactly known for gorgeous designs, but somehow the Versys, Wee Strom, F650GS, and even Triumph's 800 Tiger manage to look . . . well, not exactly pretty, but still less awkward than this Honda. I'm sure it's not a bad bike at all, but I'm still voting it uncool, only because there are lots more desirable options in the class.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#5 Unread post by High_Side »

Grey Thumper wrote:Love the concept, just wish it was better looking. This whole class of bikes isn't exactly known for gorgeous designs, but somehow the Versys, Wee Strom, F650GS, and even Triumph's 800 Tiger manage to look . . . well, not exactly pretty, but still less awkward than this Honda. I'm sure it's not a bad bike at all, but I'm still voting it uncool, only because there are lots more desirable options in the class.
I was going to say almost the complete opposite :P While the V-strom, and Versys continue to look awkward in my eyes after several years the Honda looks like a supermodel along side them....

Looks aside I liked the concept too, remembering my first streetbike (a Honda CX650E) and thinking that this would be a great modern equivalent. But then I compared the power: My '83 Honda CX650E was rated at 64h.p., and the NC700 only 51h.p?(!). WTF? The CX was not known as a powerhouse in it's day but it had enough to do the job. At only 51H.P. (and less torque than the CX as well), it's best to think of the NC700 as a 500 in both performance and price. In that regard it actually looks pretty good on both accounts. And it even has competitive power with the 1978 CX500 released some 34 years ago.....

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#6 Unread post by Wrider »

I like it's storage being right there where the tank usually is, and big enough for a helmet? Awesome.
I hate that the gas tank is accessible through the passenger seat. Touring anyone? Crappy.
That said, I like the bike overall, and I'd probably concoct a different way to fill the tank if I owned one!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

rayian
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki SV650

#7 Unread post by rayian »

To my eyes the Versys and the new V Strom are great looking bikes and this Honda fits right in. Cool.
But what's with the 51 hp.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#8 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Read somewhere that it'll be about $900 less than the Versys (itself not that expensive). The Cool Wall isn't about price, but that makes me look at this Honda a lot more favorably.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#9 Unread post by jstark47 »

I'll go with Cool for this one. Unlike recent efforts, Honda's rolled out a bike with reasonable weight and a real-world price. I sat on it at the NY show, it was comfortable and easy to handle. The "gas tank" storage area doesn't impress me so much per se, but it's presence tells me the real gas tank is lower down, so the CoG is low. I like that Honda developed a new engine instead of recycling that old 680cc twin from the Deauville and DN-01. And as far as looks go, it's acceptable, and better looking than a Versys from the front. The DCT does nothing for me, but as long as there's a manual shift version for sale, I'll ignore the DCT. To sum up, a capable comfortable bike at a great price point. These should sell very well.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I went with: COOL

But it's just cool. There is something about it's looks, design and low horsepower that just make me wonder a little if it's uncool. But that said, it's a "naked" bike and I like those, this one being a Honda will be quite reliable and it's fit and finish should be right up there too.

The gas tank location would drive me crazy I think and might even lead to selling off the bike as I just can't see removing the seat to fill up (if that's what Honda expects riders to do). The 51hp is kinda "blah" for a 670cc parallel engine and I can't see why Honda would go with that engine (unless width was an issue?). For me, the soul of a bike is it's engine and if it turns out the NC700XA's engine is truly boring, I would imagine the sales would start to dry up after a few years.

I do really like the wheel rim design and the wavey rotors, very nice touches. The gas milage of 4.04L/100kms...14.1L is nice.

On a side note, I think the $2000 price different between the USA and Canada is too great. Cananda should have this bike much closer to the US price (say, $750-1000 more).

Overall, neat bike, it will attract looks and interest but it is fun to ride??

Mike