2012 Harley-Davidson XL1200V SeventyTwo: Voted: Awesome

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Harley-Davidson XL1200V Seventy-Two is...

You may select 1 option

View results

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

Re: This Week: 2012 Harley-Davidson XL1200V SeventyTwo -VOTE

#11 Unread post by madjak30 »

Kind of a lame excuse (sorry, not being a turd toward you)...you can't tell me that Harley doesn't know about powder coatings...I know they are trying to save a buck, but it's a premium brand (or it's supposed to be) so their bikes are held to a higher standard...you are buying into a brand and they know it (check out their Branded line of merchandise... :shock: ), so I expect a better finish than if I just went to one of the Japanese Dealers and picked out one of theirs...and the Japanese bikes are getting better with their quality as well, so they do need to raise the bar a little...

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#12 Unread post by HYPERR »

madjak30 wrote:Kind of a lame excuse (sorry, not being a turd toward you)...you can't tell me that Harley doesn't know about powder coatings...I know they are trying to save a buck, but it's a premium brand (or it's supposed to be) so their bikes are held to a higher standard...you are buying into a brand and they know it (check out their Branded line of merchandise... :shock: ), so I expect a better finish than if I just went to one of the Japanese Dealers and picked out one of theirs...and the Japanese bikes are getting better with their quality as well, so they do need to raise the bar a little...

Later.
Yeah maybe they could have done it in chrome or a nice high quality aluminum. :?
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#13 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I went with: AWESOME

Yes, it's a sportster and it has a small tank and yes, it's a little pricy (but really, not that much for a 1200cc H-D) but why I voted Awesome was because of the fact that Harley-Davidson actually produced something quite unique here with a true to form 70's styled motorcycle. The Hard Candy Big Red Flake paint, ape bars and whitewall tires, it all screams 70s cool.

This is an in-town motorcycle IMO, not for the highways or for touring, but for looking cool in the city. A 8l tank and 1200cc engine is adequate for this as you would maybe ride 50km max anyways.

Maybe I find it cool as well because it reminds me of my first 1970s style bicycles, you know where you had a banana seat, highbars and of course the "cool" clothes peg/hockey card on back spokes to make it sound like a motorcycle!

This is the style I mean (and I owned a blue one myself)

Don't you think the Harley-Davidson 72 sorta hits the mark then and deserves an Awesome rating?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#14 Unread post by ceemes »

Mike, the answer to your question is a resounding NO!!!!!!!!!

A douche looking bike for douche image only riders. I long for the day when HD actually comes up with something new and exciting instead just doing variations of the same old tired theme. This bike is not only an epic fail in my books, but a stinkin' three coil turd on wheels.
Always ask why.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

ceemes wrote:Mike, the answer to your question is a resounding NO!!!!!!!!!

A douche looking bike for douche image only riders. I long for the day when HD actually comes up with something new and exciting instead just doing variations of the same old tired theme. This bike is not only an epic fail in my books, but a stinkin' three coil turd on wheels.
That's good. :laughing:

If you are meaning Harley-Davidson should take some ideas from Buell I would 100% agree with you. You are right, the 2012 Harley-Davidson XL1200V SeventyTwo is an image bike, a 8l tank and the bike setup isn't exactly "practical" for anything other than city duty... but it's hard not to see a positive in it as it seems to be designed to be an image bike right from the start. And that's my point, it's such an awesome bike because it isn't pretending to be anything other than an image bike from a very specific time frame (70s) and it looks awesome doing JUST that job. Take it out of that pigeon hole and it's a fish out of water (like a Goldwing would be for track riding).

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

BTW, we just had to hunt down where that H-D photo was taken and here you go:

Senor Fish
Little Tokyo | Downtown LA
Add: 422 E. 1st St., Los Angeles, CA 90012

:kicking:

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#17 Unread post by jstark47 »

I "uncooled" the 883 Iron a few weeks ago, it would be inconsistent of me to like this one. But there's more to it than being consistent.... here we have another "hands high, butt low, feet in front" Harley, on a Sporty frame. It wasn't until I had a chance to ride my stepdaughter's Sporty that I learned how small they are. (Took her's out for a spin a week ago Saturday, my butt was numb after a few miles.) The only people this bike fits are 5'4" but with arms that hang down by their ankles!! :wacko:

It's a bike that's all about posing, all about looking cool, not about riding. Compared to this, I would probably love a XR1200X (except for the weight..), 'cause the XR is made to ride. The SeventyTwo could be yet another sales success for H-D, marketed to people in search of "lifestyle accessories." It doesn't even relate to motorcycling as I know it.

Uncool.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#18 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

H-D really should bring back the late 90's Sportster Sport (but with a less awkward name). Dual disks up front, fully adjustable front and rear suspension, standard riding position, actual handling and ground clearance. They've already got the XR. Maybe they can slap a bit more chrome on it.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Grey Thumper wrote:H-D really should bring back the late 90's Sportster Sport (but with a less awkward name). Dual disks up front, fully adjustable front and rear suspension, standard riding position, actual handling and ground clearance. They've already got the XR. Maybe they can slap a bit more chrome on it.
Harley-Davidson did produce the -XL883R/XL1200R Sportsters till 2007 which had a 12.5l tank, 5.6" ground clearance with good handling and riding position. One of the issue with sportsters has always been the "too small gas tank for trips" all along thanks to H-D not wanting to give up with "Peanut shaped tank"

I did really like the looks of those models myself, but looking back at older H-D sportsters I think H-D has come a long way since in design...

Mike

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#20 Unread post by mogster »

Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

It gets a fail from me as firstly I don't like the style & secondly this particular bike looks flimsy.

BTW the rider looks like a k**b too! (but then he is at a major disadvantage being sat on a Harley) :lol:
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land