dablade
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha FJR 1300, 2004 GL1800 ABS

Night riding

#1 Unread post by dablade »

Are there any night riders out there? Personally, I prefer to ride at night. I wait until 10 PM to ride most nights, when the stores are closed, and less cars on the road.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: Night riding

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

Your eyes must have aged better than mine. I'm 55 and I find bright oncoming headlights leave a "haze" of light in my eyes several seconds after the car has passed. The new HID lights are making it even worse. It bothers me driving a car too, but at least a car won't fall over on its side if I lose my visual bearings. I no longer motorcycle unfamiliar roads at night, and don't even like riding familiar ones.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#3 Unread post by High_Side »

I used to love it, but then I realized the relationship between my mortality and suicidal deer.....as in the city, drunk drivers. So not so much anymore...

dablade
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha FJR 1300, 2004 GL1800 ABS

#4 Unread post by dablade »

Deer and other animals are definitely a real hazard. I have seen all kinds of stuff wandering around at night. My wife and I frequently go "deer spotting" in a development a few miles away (Tarpon Woods/Ridgemoor). Usually around midnight, we ride the Wing back there and have seen as many as 17 deer in this area. Posted speed is 25, as it is residential (surrounded by woods and golf courses) so no chance of a high speed collision. I have seen (and avoided) an alligator here on Tampa Road (6 lanes with restaurants, businesses, subdivisions) at around 3 AM. It was so big, it took up most of the right lane. Probably came out of one of the lakes at East Lake Woodlands golf course.

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#5 Unread post by mogster »

I got contact lenses last year specifically for riding as I find my eyesight in the dark & twilight is not what it used to be. I would also wear them if driving at night, but don't always bother for local daytime driving.
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#6 Unread post by ceemes »

Night riding is the best...just watch out for wildlife...both the two legged and four legged kind.
Always ask why.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I enjoy riding at night myself, but like many I find car lights can be blinding and my night vision is just not as good as my day vision. I also seem to find it's harder to naviagate at night and end up taking the wrong route more often than in the day. But like the OP, I do enjoy riding at night with lack of cars and the peace and tranquility of it all...

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#8 Unread post by dr_bar »

I love night riding, right up until the rain sets in, although my lower windshield will be a boon to those few times I'm out in that crud. I've ridden desert, mountains and prairie at night and have been extremely lucky to have only seen wildlife out of the way or as road kill.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"