2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - Voted: Awesome

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - Voted: Awesome

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650R ABS

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... nja650.htm

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650

All-new Chassis, Bodywork and Improved Power Delivery Make the Best Mid-sized Sportbike Even Better

They’re known as “sweet spot” motorcycles: streetbikes so balanced, user-friendly and all-around capable that they stand well above their two-wheeled counterparts, forging lasting reputations as exciting, practical and stylish machines.

There aren’t many such overachievers in today’s narrowly focused two-wheeled world. Since its debut back in 2006, the multi-talented Ninja® 650R has been a bona fide member of this elite group, winning accolades from owners and media alike. But for 2012, the massively reworked Ninja 650 is better than ever.

This practical sportbike features a raft of new technology and design elements, including a totally new perimeter-style frame, revised suspension, more angular bodywork, new instrumentation, improved engine performance, a more comfortable saddle, lower seat height and much more. The new-and-massively-improved version promises even more of the all-around capability that suits beginners and veterans alike.

It all starts in the engine bay, where an advanced, highly compact, liquid-cooled 649cc vertical twin works its magic with help from a digital fuel injection system featuring 38mm throttle bodies and sub-throttle assemblies for optimum response and precise fueling. The ultra-narrow engine produces substantial power with plenty of character – especially down low and in the mid-range – from an impressive array of technology, including double overhead camshafts acting on eight lightweight valves. Lightweight pistons run in plated, linerless cylinders, while a 180-degree crank assembly – coupled with a balancer shaft – maintains a surprising level of engine smoothness.

This has always been a brilliant streetbike engine – torquey, smooth, and blessed with impressive top end performance, yet enough satisfying low- and mid-range oomph to please novices and experts alike. But this year it’s even better thanks to key exhaust system changes, including a header-section connector pipe and a three-chamber muffler design. The high-rpm rush remains, but Kawasaki engineers have pushed additional power down into the mid-range zone, which results in even more all-around usability and in-town responsiveness. Figure in the Ninja 650 engine’s estimated 50-mpg* fuel economy, precise fuel injection and its pleasing twin-cylinder throb, and you’re looking at what just might be the most flexible and satisfying streetbike engine on the planet.

Wrapping around that wonderfully usable engine is an all-new twin-pipe perimeter frame that offers increased rigidity vs. the old Ninja’s trellis layout, yet retains the narrow-waisted design that results in a comfortable reach to the ground. The new frame is slim, light, compact and aesthetically pleasing, while a swingarm with forged axle holders lets the rear wheel arc through its suspension travel in style. The new backbone-type subframe also offers a 10 percent increase in maximum carrying capacity. Combined with revised suspension settings front and rear, (there’s more ride comfort for 2012 from the 41mm fork and single-shock rear end) the overall chassis setup – which includes Dunlop’s new Roadsmart II tires – amplifies the “sporty-yet-comfortable” ethos that’s won the Ninja 650 model so many fans over the years.

It’s a more comfortable machine, too, with a 20mm wider handlebar than the previous version and a 2-piece seat assembly topped with foam that’s thicker than before. Both the handlebar and saddle are rubber-mounted, along with the footpegs, for even more vibration-free comfort. And while enjoying all that ergonomic goodness, you’ll gaze upon a new instrument panel featuring an analog tachometer situated above an LCD info-center showing speed, trip meters, fuel consumption, remaining range, etc., with a swath of info-lights to the right.

Folks watching you ride by will see a sleeker and more aggressively styled motorcycle, as well. The all-new bodywork is more sharply defined and more like our race-winning supersport machines, with flowing lines and a tapered brow that blends nicely with the rest of the bike. The new body parts make the 2012 Ninja 650 more slippery from an aerodynamic standpoint, while an adjustable, 3-position windscreen allows riders to tailor the cockpit’s still-air cocoon for maximum riding comfort. Engine heat is routed rearward more effectively than before, as well, further adding to the comfort level.

It all adds up to one sweet mid-sized sportbike, one that works superbly for novices and vets – not an easy feat. Pull away from a light and the 650’s torquey engine, light-pull clutch and perfect throttle response make quick work of the job. Crisp, linear brakes make slowing down a simple affair, while the low seat height gives riders max confidence once stopped. And light steering and maneuverability keep novices grinning all day long. Experts will love the new Ninja’s powerful yet flexible engine, modern suspension, disc brakes and nimble handling. And the new more aggressive styling looks like it’s going 100 mph, even when sitting still.

The 2012 Ninja 650 really can do it all – whether it’s commuting, cruising, touring or apex-strafing. Just like we said at the beginning: Sweet.

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 - Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $7,499.00 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $8,299 CAN

ENGINE
Type 4-stroke, Parallel Twin
Displacement 649cc
Bore and Stroke 83.0 x 60.0 mm
Cooling Liquid
Compression Ratio 10.8:1
Valve System DOHC, 8 valves
Fuel System Digital fuel injection with two 38 mm Keihin throttle bodies
Ignition Digital
Lubrication Forced lubrication (semi-dry sump)

DRIVETRAIN

Transmission 6-speed, return
Final Drive Sealed Chain
Primary Reduction Ratio 2.095 (88/42)
Gear Ratio: 1st 2.438 (39/16)
Gear Ratio: 2nd 1.714 (36/21)
Gear Ratio: 3rd 1.333 (32/24)
Gear Ratio: 4th 1.111 (30/27)
Gear Ratio: 5th 0.966 (28/29)
Gear Ratio: 6th 0.852 (23/27)
Final Reduction Ratio 3.067 (46/15)
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual

FRAME

Type Perimeter, high-tensile steel
Wheel Travel: Front 125 mm (4.9 in.)
Tire: Front 120/70ZR17M/C (58W)
Wheel Travel: Rear 130 mm (5.1 in.)
Tire: Rear 160/60ZR17M/C (69W)
Caster (Rake) 25º
Trail 110 mm (4.3 in.)
Steering Angle (Left/Right) 35º / 35º

SUSPENSION

Suspension, Front 41 mm telescopic fork
Suspension, Rear Offset laydown single-shock with adjustable preload

BRAKES

Front: Type Dual semi-floating 300 mm petal discs
Front: Calipers Dual piston
Rear: Type Single 220 mm petal disc
Rear: Caliper Single-piston

DIMENSIONS

Overall Length 2,100 mm (82.7 in.)
Overall Width 770 mm (30.3 in.)
Overall Height 1,180 mm (46.5 in.)
Wheelbase 1,410 mm (55.5 in.)
Ground Clearance 130 mm (5.1 in.)
Seat Height 805 mm (31.7 in.)
Curb Mass** 209 kg (460.8 lbs.)
Fuel Capacity 16 litres (3.5 gal.)
Fuel Consumption N/A

PERFORMANCE

Maximum Power‡ 53 kW {72.1 PS} / 8,500 rpm
Maximum Torque‡ 64 N.m {6.5 kgf.m} / 7,000 rpm

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... nja650.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Re: This Week's Bike: 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - Vote & Disc

#2 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Always had a soft spot for these bikes. Still on my want list.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Awesome

What a great all around motorcycle; Kawasaki is a wonderful job with it's engine design and appeal. It works for new riders and experienced riders alike with it's friendly engine, good powerband, high MPG numbers, light weight and top speed... and not at a bad price at all (I would still like to see it a little cheaper for Canada)

Kawasaki is even keeping an update schedule for it that's quick and with a whole line of bikes based off the Ninja 650R, like the ER-6n and Versys it keeps costs down even more.

The Ninja650R is just one of those bikes that fits into the "What did you use before it?" category.

Great bike. I'm glad it's finally on our Cool Wall.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#4 Unread post by sunshine229 »

AWESOME, AWESOME AWESOME!!!

I have a love for Kawasaki's and this one ticks all the boxes for me. It's absolutely gorgeous and has the perfect amount of power. If I were looking to buy a brand new bike, chances are I'd end up with this one (even though you guys know I have my eye on a few) but since I plan on buying used it all depends on what's on the market at the time. With any luck one of these in ORANGE will be waiting for me!!! :mrgreen:
Andrea :sun:

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#5 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

A bike for the real world at a real world price. Awesome. I wish more manufacturers would make them and I wish more people would buy them.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#6 Unread post by madjak30 »

I voted: AWESOME...

Although not that awesome for a taller rider, too cramped for my liking (not that I am tall, but my knees aren't getting younger) I know a couple of people that have these now, and they all love them...great all round bike...one guy I know even rode his to Sturgis for the bike rally and had a blast...I think the time has come for more sensible bikes to be available to us...I think the "bigger is better" mantra is fading and people are getting more realistic with their bike choices...

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#7 Unread post by Wrider »

I voted awesome...
I've only ridden one once for a short distance at low RPMs (rode it to a friend's house for him after he bought it brand new). But even at the low RPMs it was responsive, had plenty of pep to get me moving, and handled well on the brand new tires.
Plus the variety of what you can do with this engine and frame combination is quite amazing... Between the ER-6N, the Versys, and the Ninja 650, this bike has something for everyone except the hardcore road-racer (and that's not to say you can't race the Ninja 650, I see plenty of owners who do).
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#8 Unread post by mogster »

Stand by for an announcement............................ I voted AWESOME for a japanese bike! :alien:

I think this will appeal to many & is likely to be a massive seller as suits the newer + experienced biker. The ctlours are typically kwacker & not for me but the black is cool.

I also like the fact they have put the exhaust low - high exhausts are a bit of a pain luggage wise.

Quite a tempting little bike if I was looking, still prefer a triple tho :D
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#9 Unread post by madjak30 »

mogster wrote:Stand by for an announcement............................ I voted AWESOME for a japanese bike! :alien:

I think this will appeal to many & is likely to be a massive seller as suits the newer + experienced biker. The colours are typically kwacker & not for me but the black is cool.

I also like the fact they have put the exhaust low - high exhausts are a bit of a pain luggage wise.

Quite a tempting little bike if I was looking, still prefer a triple tho :D
I think Kawasaki knocked it out of the park with this bike...I even like the LOOK AT ME!! colours...

and as for your comment about exhaust...

You don't have to tell me...how the "heck" do you mount luggage on this thing? No one makes anything for it, so I will have to custom make something...Ventura makes a parcel shelf for it, but nothing for saddle bags...sucks because it is quite a comfortable bike.

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#10 Unread post by jstark47 »

madjak30 wrote:how the "heck" do you mount luggage on this thing? No one makes anything for it, so I will have to custom make something...Ventura makes a parcel shelf for it, but nothing for saddle bags...sucks because it is quite a comfortable bike.
Givi makes a topcase mount plate and PLX sidecase racks for it. So you can put any Givi topcase on the top case mount, and you can put V35's on the PLX racks.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S