2012 Yamaha TW200: Voted: Uncool

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Yamaha TW200 is...

You may select 1 option

View results

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: This Week - 2012 Yamaha TW200: Vote and Discuss

#11 Unread post by HYPERR »

dr_bar wrote:
HYPERR wrote:
Wrider wrote:How tall are you that you don't fit on the TW???
The TW is a pretty small bike. The seat height is extremely low. I would think even to a person of average height, it would feel very low to the ground.
HYPERR, the seat height isn't all that low. At 31", it's got my Royalstar Venture beat by 1.5", my seat height is only 29.5"...
31" is extremely low for a dirtbike. Also since the suspension compresses quite a bit and the seat so narrow on dirtbikes, 31" on this bike is actually significantly lower than your Venture's 29.5". In another words, if you sat on the TW200, you knees will be more bent on it than on the Venture while flat footing either one.

Trust me on this, I have ridden the TW200 and it is a tiny bike and the actual resulting seat height is very very low.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#12 Unread post by Wrider »

HYPERR wrote:
dr_bar wrote:
HYPERR wrote:
Wrider wrote:How tall are you that you don't fit on the TW???
The TW is a pretty small bike. The seat height is extremely low. I would think even to a person of average height, it would feel very low to the ground.
HYPERR, the seat height isn't all that low. At 31", it's got my Royalstar Venture beat by 1.5", my seat height is only 29.5"...
31" is extremely low for a dirtbike. Also since the suspension compresses quite a bit and the seat so narrow on dirtbikes, 31" on this bike is actually significantly lower than your Venture's 29.5". In another words, if you sat on the TW200, you knees will be more bent on it than on the Venture while flat footing either one.

Trust me on this, I have ridden the TW200 and it is a tiny bike and the actual resulting seat height is very very low.
It's definitely a low bike once you sit on it. I rode the crap out of this bike at the MSF. I was able to ride it comfortably though, after getting used to my Volusia, and I'm 6'2".
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

EatenbyAsphalt
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2009 Kawasaki ER-6n

#13 Unread post by EatenbyAsphalt »

I don't know. I feel like there should be another option. THe bike looks like fun but I couldn't ride around Dallas. I'd get run over by the traffic. Now, off-road, I could dig on this bike.
The faster the bike I get, the less of a coffin I'm gonna need, more like a ziplock bag.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#14 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I was at a Yamaha dealership today and they had a TW200 on the floor that I sat on to try for size and guess what? At 6'4" tall, 32" inseam, I fit it and could comfortably ride it. So it's a size versitle bike for sure.

Big tires, but the big tires also help make it look like a bigger bike too.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Awesome

But I think it's cool in some ways and awesome in others. There are very few under 200cc streetbikes out there anymore and I'm happy Yamaha keeps offering up, year after year, the TW200. It's rugged looking, looks like it could climb a mountain and still offer a nice "buick like" comfy ride to work/school/gym. Cheap and cheerful is what the Brittish would call in, in fact, they call it a "Van Van 125" and it's mega popular over in the UK (thanks to the under 33hp learners step). Also popular is the Rebel 125 and CB125R as well.

That said, the TW200 would be happy going for many, many, many years and would never be a boring bike as it can do-it-all if you are not in a rush on the road, dirt or sand.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#16 Unread post by sunshine229 »

I wanted to pass on voting this week because it's not a bike I feel I can fairly criticise but in the end I decided to go ahead and vote and went with Uncool.
Andrea :sun:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Argh! A 3 way-tie?

Awesome 31%
Cool 31%
Uncool 31%
Fail 8%

We can't have it end like this, we need 1 more vote!! (other than Fail vote please...haha)

Mike

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#18 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

When I decided to cast my Uncool vote, I didn't realize I'd be breaking the tie. I'm not sure if my insight is worthy of such pomp, but here's my two cents...

Enduro bikes offer just enough of a comprimise between street and off-road to make them fairly useless for either. Mirrors and turn signal stalks are early casualties when you get serious about off-road, while the dual purpose tires and compromised (compromising?) suspension make them uncomfortable on the street for anything but the shortest jaunt around town.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Great job! The tie has been broken and the TW200 will be going down on the Cool Wall as:

Awesome 27%
Cool 27%
Uncool 40%
Fail 7%

As normal, the vote will stay open so allow anyone to vote and see how this model evolves as time marches on.

Thanks for voting and see you on the current Cool Wall bike now up!

Mike

ZRex
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R & 2005 ZX-12R

Re: 2012 Yamaha TW200: Voted: Uncool

#20 Unread post by ZRex »

The TW200 is another one of those bikes I like, and I am glad they build, but I don't really want one. A few years ago my neice wanted one, so I thought I would get her one when she got older, unfortunately now that she is old enough I am broke.