2012 Honda Gold Wing GL1800: Voted Uncool

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 Audio Comfort is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2012 Honda Gold Wing GL1800: Voted Uncool

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2012 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 Audio Comfort

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... omfort.htm

2012 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 Audio Comfort

Long acknowledged as the pinnacle of two-up motorcycling, the 2012 Gold Wing® continues its remarkable legacy. Its travel-oriented creds include the latest generation of sophisticated electronic amenities, starting with an innovative GPS navigation system with user-friendly programmability for sharing favorite ride routes with friends and other riders, which can be accessed online via computer. The Gold Wing also now incorporates a built-in MP3/iPod® interface for a new SRS CS Auto™ technology surround-sound system for a premium listening experience. In addition to its renowned power-laden yet refined drivetrain and delightfully sporty handling, the 2012 Gold Wing also brings upgraded styling, increased luggage capacity, greater protection from wind and weather, revised suspension settings for enhanced ride compliance, and unparalleled comfort for both rider and passenger. In addition, packages for Navi, ABS and airbag do much to further the Gold Wing's reputation as the most celebrated touring machine in motorcycle history.

There’s big news when it comes to the new 2012 Honda Gold Wing. Because we’ve taken what is the world’s best touring motorcycle and made it even better. The new bodywork is the first thing you’ll notice, complementing what is the best engine and chassis package the touring world has ever seen. Look a little further and you’ll discover great new improvements to the audio system, the available navigation system, and the Gold Wing’s comfort, too. And there’s new functionality, as well, like integrated iPod® connectivity and the ability to upload trips to the navi system from your home computer.

If you thought the Gold Wing was the world’s ultimate touring motorcycle, you were right. And if you think the new Gold Wing is even better, you’re right again.

2012 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 Audio Comfort Features and Benefits

New for 2012

- Fresh styling cues produce a more integrated appearance along with a sporting edge, adding to the premium touring visage.

- Redesigned fairing adds extra wind protection, especially to the lower body and leg areas.

- Larger saddlebags add approximately 7 liters of additional storage space, upping total capacity to well over 150 liters including the trunk and fairing pockets.

- Handy central storage pocket added to models without airbag.

- Revised suspension settings front and rear yield added compliance for a better ride and more comfort.

- Urethane seat material and cover material give added comfort.

- Re-shaped taillight adds a distinctive appearance and aids visibility.

- Wheels are now clear-coated for easier cleaning and a great, long-lasting look.

- Updated instrumentation styling lends a high-performance touch.

Next-Generation Honda Satellite Linked Navigation System™:
- New, fully integrated navigation system with new, brighter color screen.
- Next-generation receiver gives quicker satellite connection.
- 3-D terrain view, lane assist with junction view and more.
- Complete United States and Canada mapping with points of interest installed.
- Points-of-interest information includes Honda dealers, fuel stations, restaurants, lodging, attractions, transportation, government and emergency information and saved rider's input with home function.
- Voice prompting through headsets or speakers.
- On-screen text guidance and pop-up menus.
- Easy-to-use handlebar and fairing-mounted controls.
- Navigation available on select Gold Wing models.

Next-Generation Premium Audio System:
- New enhanced system offers direct MP3/i-Pod connectivity plus full device control through handlebar controls.
- SRS CS Auto™ technology surround-sound system brings the latest in sound system technology to the Gold Wing.
- 80-watt-per-channel power amplifier provides clear, crisp sound at all highway speeds.
- Six-element speaker system includes two rear speakers, a pair of front speakers and two tweeters for a rich, full surround sound quality.
- Tuner features auto bass control combined with auto volume control.
- Standard on all Gold Wing models.

2012 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 Audio Comfort - US Specifications
USA MSRP Price - $23,199 USD
Canada MSRP Price - $29,999 CDN

ENGINE
Engine Type 1832cc liquid-cooled horizontally opposed six-cylinder
Bore And Stroke 74mm x 71mm
Induction Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
Ignition Computer-controlled digital with three-dimensional mapping
Compression Ratio 9.8:1
Valve Train SOHC; two valves per cylinder

DRIVE TRAIN
Transmission Five-speed including Overdrive, plus electric Reverse
Final Drive Shaft

CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES
Front Suspension 45mm cartridge fork with anti-dive system, 5.5 inches travel
Rear Suspension Pro Arm® single-side swingarm with Pro-Link® single shock with computer-controlled spring preload adjustment with two memory presets; 4.1 inches travel
Front Brake Dual full-floating 296mm discs with CBS three-piston calipers
Rear Brake Single ventilated 316mm disc with CBS three-piston caliper
Front Tire 130/70R-18
Rear Tire 180/60R-16

DIMENSIONS
Rake 29.15 degrees
Trail 109mm (4.3 inches)
Wheelbase 66.5 inches
Seat Height 29.1 inches
Curb Weight 904-933 pounds, depending on option packages selected (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuel-ready to ride)
Fuel Capacity 6.6 gallons

OTHER
Model Id GL18HPM
Emissions Meets current California Air Resources Board (CARB) and EPA standards.
Available Colors Candy Red, Pearl White, Ultra Blue Metallic, Black

FACTORY WARRANTY INFORMATION
Three Years Transferable, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... omfort.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week - 2012 Honda Gold Wing GL1800: Vote and Discus

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Since our last Cool Wall bike (which was a 800cc tourer) was so popular let's bring out the big gun battleship and see how the Honda Goldwing does! This might be the base Gold Wing but there is nothing base about it's luxury list of features.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

Jebus, why don't you just get a car.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Johnj wrote:Jebus, why don't you just get a car.
:laughing:

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#5 Unread post by Wrider »

I can understand the Goldwing by itself, it's the Goldwings with sidecars (with able-bodied riders), and/or trailers that I ask that about. If you honestly need enough room to fit stuff that you need a 'Wing and a trailer, you could probably fill a Cadillac pretty easily.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#6 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

This.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#7 Unread post by ceemes »

I am gonna go with cool mainly because the big Wing is in a class by itself. There are other that are close, but they just don't quite come up to the Wing's shoulders. And for a big arsed monster, its pretty maneuverable and quick, if I am not mistaken the quickest time clocked doing the infamous Dragon is held by a Wing, or at least so I have been told.

Not my type of bike, but still cool.
Always ask why.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#8 Unread post by Wrider »

ceemes wrote:I am gonna go with cool mainly because the big Wing is in a class by itself. There are other that are close, but they just don't quite come up to the Wing's shoulders. And for a big arsed monster, its pretty maneuverable and quick, if I am not mistaken the quickest time clocked doing the infamous Dragon is held by a Wing, or at least so I have been told.

Not my type of bike, but still cool.
I'm pretty sure you're right on this. I know one guy that consistently smokes sportbike riders on it lives 5 miles from it and owns a 'Wing. From what I hear he's gone through 3 sets of valve covers on the thing. Now THAT is getting over...
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#9 Unread post by HYPERR »

Goldwings can only be awesome.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#10 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I gotta go with Uncool.

I understand the reason someone might want this bike, and I understand the sort of people who may turn to this bike as a way to keep riding. This bike has it's place, and fulfills a necessary role in the motorcycling pantheon.

However, the same things could be said about Prius' (Prii, I think the plural is now), minivans, Smartcars and prenuptial agreements. All practicle, all necessary, all fatally uncool.