2013 Kawasaki KX450F: Voted Awesome

Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 Kawasaki KX450F is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2013 Kawasaki KX450F: Voted Awesome

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2013 Kawasaki KX450F

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... KX450F.htm

2013 Kawasaki KX450F

PROOF in Five Back-to-Back Titles

The KX™450F has been updated for 2013 to help continue its back-to-back string of recent championships. The string began with Monster Energy® Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto winning both the 2011 Supercross and 2011 Motocross titles, followed by leading the U.S. team to an overall victory at the Motocross of Nations, then Villopoto’s absolute domination of the Monster Energy Cup —which also earned him the Monster Million. Last but not least, Villopoto recently defended his Supercross title by winning the 2012 championship on his KX450F!

The KX450F’s best-in-class performance is delivered through the highest level of rider adjustability and the most progressive electronics package ever seen on a production motocross bike. Get the picture? Don’t blame the bike if you can’t win on a KX450F!

Headlining the 2013 upgrades for the KX450F is a switch to the new 48mm KYB Pneumatic Spring Fork (PSF), which uses pressurized air to eliminate the traditional metal-coil fork springs. The reduced weight and inertia of an air spring improves smoothness and enhances the fork’s ability to follow terrain contours. The Pneumatic Spring Fork also significantly reduces friction and cuts weight by an amazing 1.7 lbs. per set! Other benefits of the air spring include providing better bottoming resistance, quicker, easier and more effective tuning using nothing more than a hand pump, and reduced oil contamination due to the lack of microscopic metal particles caused by fork springs rubbing against the inside of the fork tubes. The super-hard Diamond-Like Carbon (DLC) coating on the outer surface of the inner fork tubes and high-tech Kashima Coat treatment on the inner surface of the outer fork tubes significantly reduce drag compared to a standard fork assembly and help deliver supple, fade-free action.

A new swingarm compliments the new front fork and features a larger front casting that extends further down the spars for maximum strength and improved rigidity. The Kayaba rear shock features a beefy 50mm piston and a top-shelf Kashima Coat surface treatment on the inside walls of the shock body. Ample adjustability helps ensure smooth, reliable and consistent action of the rear suspension that not only offers superior performance, but also helps the rider relax and conserve valuable strength on the way to the finish line. Kawasaki offers an optional rear suspension tie rod that is one millimeter longer than stock, which can be used to reduce seat height by four millimeters.

No other production motocross bike offers a higher degree of adjustability to the rider interface or engine character than the KX450F. With a choice of four different handlebar positions, two footpeg positions, and virtually unlimited ignition mapping capabilities, the KX450F is uniquely able to adapt to changing track and surface conditions and meet the needs of a wide range of riders.

The Digital Fuel injection (DFI®) system comes with three pre-programmed ignition maps which are easily selectable without the use of a laptop computer or any other electronic devices. Maps can quickly be changed between three settings – standard, hard (terrain) and soft (terrain) – by swapping the DFI wire coupler cap clipped to the side of the steering head. Easy access to the coupler cap means no additional accessories are needed to alternate between pre-preprogrammed maps – simply connect the appropriate coupler cap to activate an ignition mode to match track conditions. The ECU is also fully re-programmable and custom maps can be created by using the accessory Kawasaki Racing Software Calibration Kit, the same tool used by Kawasaki factory and privateer teams in AMA and FIM racing.

The KX450F’s engine provides proven top-end and over-rev performance, but ups the ante with improved torque from ultra-low revs all the way through the upper mid-range. Revised intake valve lift, a revised piston crown and tweaked ignition settings provide the increased torque and improved throttle response for 2013. The end result is a smoother powerband with more “area under the curve,” AKA usable power. The KX450F’s works-style bridge-box bottom piston allows for optimum strength and high rev durability.

New, longer grips for 2013 extend further toward the center of the handlebars, allowing riders to slide their hands up to 20mm closer together, for a more compact feel than last year’s bike. The grips also feature a taller pattern and are molded from lower density material to make life easier on the rider’s hands. Minimalist body work, shrouds and number plates contribute to the slender feel and sleek looks of Kawasaki’s flagship motocross machine. Sparing no attention to detail, the seams between the radiator shrouds, seat and side covers are very flush fitting, which help prevent snags and allow the rider to change position and maneuver more freely on the bike. The compact fuel tank also forms a smooth and nearly straight line with the seat to allow maximum rider movement.

A blue finish on the oil cap and two caps on the generator cover highlight the factory appearance of the KX450F motor, and match the blue anodized finish on the suspension adjusters. An embossed logo on the clutch cover features a trick design and is painted silver to help hide the normal signs of wear.
The 2013 KX450F is available in Kawasaki Lime Green, with black anodized rims, blue highlights and aggressive graphics inspired by the Team Monster Energy Kawasaki factory race bikes.

Racers who ride their KX450F at designated events are eligible to receive support from Team Green™, Kawasaki’s amateur racing support program. For over 30 years, Team Green has been providing regional support vehicles and highly trained technicians at more than 100 yearly events throughout the United States, offering technical information and assistance to those who race Kawasaki products. Kawasaki also offers a comprehensive contingency program for amateur and professional riders who place well at designated events.

2013 Kawasaki KX450F Features and Benefits

At a glance…

• New Kayaba Pneumatic Spring Fork (PSF) replaces the main fork springs with compressed air to reduce weight, provide easier and more effective tuning and improve bottoming resistance
• Revised engine tuning offers more power and smoother delivery from basement revs through mid and into the upper rpm range; this provides more thrust while exiting corners and all the way down the straights, while also enhancing rider confidence
• Revised piston crown improves ultra-low to mid-range engine response
• Revised intake cam features slightly less lift, to promote better low-rpm throttle response
• New front master cylinder features a knocker-style lever-to-piston interface for improved feel and more consistent performance than the old piston-type unit
• New longer, lower density grips make life easier on the rider’s hands. They also extend further towards the center of the handlebars, allowing riders to move their hands up to 20mm closer together
• New lightweight 240mm petal-type rear rotor features the same aggressive petal style as the front rotor and is gripped by a single piston hydraulic rear caliper
• Launch Control improves low-gear acceleration by helping to reduce wheelspin during the run to the first corner
• Pre-programmed ignition maps are interchangeable trackside, no PC required
• Adjustable 4-position handlebar and 2-position footpegs allow riders to fit the KX to match their personal preference
• Black Anodized Aluminum rims for a factory look

2013 Kawasaki KX450F - USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $8,699 USD
Canada MSRP Price: TBA CDN

ENGINE
Type 4-stroke, Single
Displacement 449cc
Bore and Stroke 96.0 x 62.1 mm
Compression Ratio 12.5:1
Valve System DOHC, 4 valves
Fuel System Digital fuel injection with 43 mm Keihin throttle body
Ignition Digital DC-CDI
Starting Primary Kick
Lubrication Forced lubrication (semi-dry sump)
Cooling Liquid

DRIVETRAIN

Transmission 5-speed, return
Final Drive Chain
Primary Reduction Ratio 2.727 (60/22)
Gear Ratio: 1st 1.750 (28/16)
Gear Ratio: 2nd 1.412 (24/17)
Gear Ratio: 3rd 1.188 (19/16)
Gear Ratio: 4th 1.000 (19/19)
Gear Ratio: 5th 0.875 (21/24)
Final Reduction Ratio 3.846 (50/13)
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual

FRAME

Type Perimeter, Aluminum
Wheel Travel: Front 314 mm (12.4 in.)
Tire: Front 80/100-21
Wheel Travel: Rear 315 mm (12.4 in.)
Tire: Rear 120/80-19
Caster (Rake) 26.9°
Trail 113 mm (4.57 in.)
Steering Angle (Left/Right) 42°/42°

SUSPENSION

Suspension, Front 48 mm upside-down telescopic Pneumatic Spring Fork (PSF), 22-position compression and 20-position rebound damping adjustment
Suspension, Rear New Uni-Trak linkage system and Kayaba shock with 22-position low-speed and 2-turns or more high-speed compression damping, 33-position rebound damping and fully adjustable spring preload

BRAKES

Front: Type Single rigid mount 250 mm petal disc
Front: Caliper Dual-piston caliper
Rear: Type Single 240 mm petal disc
Rear: Caliper Single-piston caliper

DIMENSIONS

Overall Length 2,180 mm (86.0 in.)
Overall Width 820 mm (32.3 in.)
Overall Height 1,275 mm (50.4 in.)
Wheelbase 1,480 mm (58.3 in.)
Ground Clearance 330 mm (13.2 in.)
Seat Height 955 mm (37.8 in.)
Curb Mass** 112.5 kg (248 lbs.)
Fuel Capacity 6.2 litres (1.59 gal.)

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... KX450F.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: This Week - 2013 Kawasaki KX450F: Vote and Discuss

#2 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Gotta be Awesome. If you're gonna play in the dirt, this is the bike to do it on.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#3 Unread post by HYPERR »

Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 Kawasaki KX450F Audio Comfort is...

Audio Comfort? :?
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

HYPERR wrote:Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 Kawasaki KX450F Audio Comfort is...

Audio Comfort? :?
Sorry about that, I fixed it. I was rushing to create the page as today was very in-and-out (and one of those bad days for news too) and I missed it... Tomorrow will be better I am sure. :D

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#5 Unread post by HYPERR »

Little bit on the porky side...
I think I like the Katooom better...

Regardless this engine is a beast and way too much bike for most. The MX bikes today are incredible. Awesome.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Just a side note, this bike features an New Kayaba Pneumatic Spring Fork (PSF) which replaces the main fork springs with compressed air to reduce weight, provide easier and more effective tuning and improve bottoming resistance.

Pneumatic Spring Fork (PSF)

The KX450F is the first mass-production motocrosser to features this next-generation fork technology. Shock absorption duties are carried out using pressurized air instead of springs. Reduced weight, easier adjustability and wider setting range are some of the advantages.

A very interesting technology IMO.

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Awesome

248lbs, 450cc engine and some new fangled start of the art technology forks too? Sounds like this bike would shred the dirt track! Interestingly enough, out of all the different types, styles, era's and manufacturers of bikes I've rode over the years I have never rode a dirt bike (although I've watched them on TV, live and High_Side's kids on them too at the track). They look a lot of fun but I'm guessing the 2013 Kawasaki KX450F would be a lot of dirt bike and for experienced riders only based on it's stats.

I'm definately going to have to try this dirt biking thing, but maybe on a smaller, less "OMG Extreme Edition" model haha.

Awesome bike IMO for it's very purposeful nature. Now, can you make the XK450F into a dual sport for the road?? Maybe Kawasaki is going to do just that for 2013...

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

What do you guys/gals think about the new Kayaba Pneumatic Spring Fork? Do you think this is the future for street, sport and cruiser bikes as well?

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

+1 Bump. :D

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#10 Unread post by Wrider »

I like the new tech, but if a seal blows you're done... lol
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha