2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R: Voted: Cool

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R: Voted: Cool

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... ja250R.htm

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

#1 Selling Sportbike in the U.S. Offers Superior 250 Performance

With its smooth power delivery, low seat height, and excellent value, the Ninja® 250 has all the vital elements to make it the perfect first sportbike. Powered by a compact liquid-cooled twin-cylinder engine, this Ninja sportbike pleases both ends of the experience spectrum — seasoned riders appreciate the Ninja’s extra highway passing power compared to other bikes in the 250 class, while beginners love the smooth torque delivery at lower speeds. With superior highway performance, aggressive supersport bodywork, and a price tag that packs serious value, the Ninja 250 is a perfect way to get started in a lifetime of motorcycling fun.

The 249cc liquid-cooled, parallel twin engine is tuned for smooth, predictable power delivery around town and excellent performance on the highway, while a smooth-shifting six-speed transmission with positive neutral finder offers the right gear for almost any situation. This efficient engine and transmission help the Ninja 250 provide plenty of enjoyment from the initial learning curve, all the way through advanced sport riding and track days.

Wrapped by a modern aerodynamic fairing and windscreen, the 250 not only looks great, but also delivers effective wind deflection for a wide range of riding situations. An easy-to-read instrument panel with fuel gauge and neutral indicator is another convenient feature for the new rider.

A natural riding position and comfortable ergonomics combine with lightweight handling and nimble response to deliver pure pleasure on city streets. Part of this great handling and stability comes from the full-size 17-inch sportbike wheels.

Track-worthy stopping power is provided by the large petal-shaped 290mm front and 220mm rear brake rotors gripped by powerful two-piston hydraulic calipers. Like Kawasaki’s larger Ninja models, the 250 is equipped with high-quality components and tuned for class-leading performance.

Lightweight and agile, the Ninja 250 delivers low ownership costs coupled with impressive performance… No wonder it’s the #1 selling sportbike in America!

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Features and Benefits

Key Features

• 249cc parallel-twin liquid-cooled engine offers better highway passing power than competing models in the 250 class
• Low 30.5-inch seat height boosts new rider confidence
• Six-speed transmission offers wide selection of ratios to match varied riding conditions and its positive neutral finder makes it much easier to find neutral when stopped
• Genuine Ninja® styling matches the larger supersport models
• Petal-shaped disc brakes offer great sportbike looks and excellent braking performance
• 17-inch wheels allow use of modern sportbike tires

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $4,999 CDN.
US MSRP Price: $4,199 to $4,449 USD

ENGINE
Type 4-stroke, Parallel Twin
Displacement 249cc
Bore and Stroke 62.0 x 41.2 mm
Cooling Liquid
Compression Ratio 11.6:1
Valve System DOHC, 8 valves
Fuel System Two Keihin CVK30 carburetors
Ignition Digital
Lubrication Forced lubrication (wet sump)

DRIVETRAIN
Transmission 6-speed, with positive neutral finder
Final Drive Sealed Chain
Primary Reduction Ratio 3.087 (71/23)
Gear Ratio: 1st 2.600 (39/15)
Gear Ratio: 2nd 1.789 (34/19)
Gear Ratio: 3rd 1.409 (31/22)
Gear Ratio: 4th 1.160 (29/25)
Gear Ratio: 5th 1.000 (27/27)
Gear Ratio: 6th 0.893 (25/28)
Final Reduction Ratio 3.214 (45/14)
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual

FRAME
Type Diamond, high-tensile steel
Wheel Travel: Front 120 mm (4.7 in.)
Tire: Front 110/70-17
Wheel Travel: Rear 130 mm (5.1 in.)
Tire: Rear 130/70-17
Caster (Rake) 26°
Trail 82 mm (3.2 in.)
Steering Angle (Left/Right) 35º/35º

SUSPENSION
Suspension, Front 37 mm hydraulic telescopic fork
Suspension, Rear Bottom-Link Uni-Trak with 5-way adjustable preload

BRAKES
Front: Type Single 290 mm hydraulic disc
Front: Calipers 2-piston caliper
Rear: Type Single 220 mm petal disc
Rear: Calipers 2-piston caliper

DIMENSIONS
Overall Length 2,085 mm (82.1 in.)
Overall Width 715 mm (28.1 in.)
Overall Height 1,110 mm (43.7 in.)
Wheelbase 1,400 mm (55.1 in.)
Ground Clearance 130 mm (5.1 in.)
Seat Height 775 mm (30.5 in.)
Curb Mass** 170 kg (375 lbs.)
Fuel Capacity 18 litres (4 gal.)
Fuel Consumption 3.8 L/100 km (74 MPG)
** Includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90% of capacity) and tool kit (if supplied)

PERFORMANCE
Maximum Power‡ 24 kW {32.6 PS} @ 11,000 rpm
Maximum Torque‡ 22 N.m {2.24 kgf.m} @ 9,500 rpm
‡ Power / Torque figures measured at the crankshaft.

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... ja250R.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week - 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R: Vote and Discuss

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I was talking with a very friendly man (Anwar) at the front counter of where I am staying (Homewood Suites Houston) about his interest of getting into motorcycling and how he really liked the sportbike look. Naturally, one of the best beginner bikes I could think of was the Kawasaki Ninja 250R to start out on. So the 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R is in the Cool Wall ring this week thanks to Anwar and all those interested in getting into riding like him.

Enjoy the discussion and vote!

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

snakedoctEr726
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '11 BMW K1300S

#3 Unread post by snakedoctEr726 »

the ninja 250 is the best beginners bike on the market today. my first streetbike was an '08 ninja 250. it was fast enough to be fun without being overwhelming, and it handled great. i rode it for 2 years and and even though i ride a harley FXD now sometimes i still miss my ninja.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#4 Unread post by madjak30 »

I turned my nose up at these little bombs...thinking "that little thing won't be able to get out of it's own way..."(I did weigh 275-280lbs at the time) but I will be getting one in a year or two for my daughter to start on and I will probably be taking it out for the odd spin and maybe even use it to commute to and from work...I think it would be a blast to be able to wring it out and not be double the speed limit. (ummm...not that I have done that...ummm...in third gear or anything...ummm..."Closed Course. Professional Rider"...ummm...no, Track Day, yeah that's it, Track Day!!)

Don't get me wrong, a big bike is a blast to have all that power but the skills you gain on a smaller, more nimble bike would pay off huge later! I started on a 500 and I do miss that bike, but I think the Ninja would be like a Miata...looks good, handles awesome but you have to be strategic in your technique if you want to be fast...all while getting scooter fuel economy...nothing wrong with learning to be smooth and carry speed through a corner, get used to leaning a bike that weighs half as much before making the leap to a heifer...(my bike weighs in at 570lbs...not heavy for a cruiser, but quite heavy for a sporty bike)

A buddy of mine just picked up a CBR250R and I'm itching to get him to trade for an hour ride or so...hope he doesn't crash mine, but I'll have a blast riding his new toy!! That is if I can get him to give up the keys...

I think there is a real trend in down sizing...Frugal is cool...okay, that may be pushing it...but you get the idea...the Ninja has the sporting looks that so many riders really like, yet is a sensible ride and a great learning tool...

I voted: AWESOME!!

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

AlphaZed
Veteran
Veteran
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#5 Unread post by AlphaZed »

Great bike for beginner and expert alike! Although I ride a liter bike as my regular ride, I've greatly enjoyed riding the 250 Ninja. In fact, on the tightest of roads, the little Ninja (in my hands) left a lot of bigger, faster bikes behind. Tons of fun!

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#6 Unread post by Johnj »

Awesome, I bought a 250 Ninja this spring, hoping to turn it over and make a profit. After sorting it out (carbs, valves, & tires) it's a blast. I may just keep it. 60 mpg doesn't hurt either.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#7 Unread post by BobK »

I like the green one!

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#8 Unread post by Thumper »

I liked 'em a lot more before all the plastic...but they're still awesome...

ZRex
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R & 2005 ZX-12R

#9 Unread post by ZRex »

I voted Awesome, the Ninja 250R is a great little bike.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: AWESOME

What a great little bike, loads of power, light in weight, easy handling and non-intimadating to ride or learn on and under $5k too. I know the 2002 version can easily do 150km/h even though it's a 250cc and can keep up and pass highway traffic with ease.

I'd own one (if I could ever fit on it!) just to go weekend corner carving for the heck of it. You don't need to go fast on a 250cc to have a huge grin factor.

One expression goes "It's not the bike, it's the rider" and I've seen amazing riders on a small bike beat a good rider on a big cc bike.

Mike