winter is on its way need some advice ...

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Re: winter is on its way need some advice ...

#11 Unread post by dr_bar »

LOL...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#12 Unread post by BobK »

freebird73
Regular
Regular
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2007 yamaha yzf 600r

#13 Unread post by freebird73 »

totalmotorcycle wrote:Best advice is to always keep warm. Remember your hands, head and legs are most exposed to the windchill and as they get cold it will affect your thinking, strength and your reflexes. If for any reason you feel too cold to ride it's best to stop, get warm and be a little late than not arrive at all.

Mike

That is really interesting, now that you mention it, i have noticed recently that i feel more uncoordinated when riding but i recently went to a slightly larger tire and figured it was just a relearning curve.(I thought it was taking a long time to adjust) I never connected it to the recent colder temps (which have gone from the low 70s at night to the low 40s to mid 50s in about a weeks time), i really thought it was the reaction of the tires to the colder road conditions.
So many people give up riding through the colder months even here, I am actually surprised how many of you ride in such freezing weather, impressive. Thanks for the great advice

MmeMagpie and ninja I will have to look into getting a face thingy... wonder if google will know what it is? lol

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#14 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... +Face+Mask

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... eck+gaiter

I usually prefer just a neck gaiter to be honest, and I'm bald. With hair your head should be quite warm under a helmet :lol:

The neck and hands were always to first to get cold for me. Hands make it hard to work the controls, and the neck will let out a LOT of heat.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

freebird73
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2007 yamaha yzf 600r

#15 Unread post by freebird73 »

got down to 47* two mornings ago, i was bundled up pretty good .. thermals, tights, scrubs, hoodie, scarf wrapped around my face, gloves and my favorite riding jacket... was FREEZING after the first 35 mins or so. I survived but i wanted more warmth so yesterday i bundled the same except this time i traded my jacket for my husbands. THAT did the trick, not a riding jacket though, its a columbia big thick and sooooo warm.
Two problems, first no extra protection felt kind of exposed, and second i felt like i was wearing a parachute i think i need to find a good winter riding jacket that fits....another one of those live and learn moments.
Has anyone ever tried the heated vests? or any of the heated products?

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#16 Unread post by dr_bar »

Just buy an electric vest or full electric liner. They're not too expensive and they do the job well.

http://cyclegiant.com/shop/?keyword=electric+vest

Cycle Giant for example has some, they are located at 20902 Bake Parkway #106 Lake Forest, CA 92630‎

In Canada, most dealers will have them, but I'm not so sure about the southern states...

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#17 Unread post by Wrider »

Lol I was out testing my sister's bike yesterday. It was 45 degrees out and I took it for a 25 minute ride using my summer (perforated leather) gloves, my summer (mesh) jacket, and had all of the vents on the helmet open. We need to get you some "natural insulation"!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#18 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

I shiver and lean all those extra calories right off :) And I eat like a starving person in the winter. Like, throwing down whole gourmet pizzas for lunch to the amazement of my co-workers. I'm 5'3" and skinny, so imagine that for a minute :)

I found my "face thingie" at the dealership by the glove liners and neck gaiters. It's lightweight fleece and velcros at the back of my neck. I tried on a few of the neoprene kind, but found them super uncomfortable. Just found a neck gaiter in my basket of winter gear, too.

I might have to look into some heated gear. As it is, one of my favorite middle layers is a high-necked sweater-vest from Smart Wool. Not itchy, lightweight yet dense, and very warm. My workplace isn't heated, so it's also something kinda nice looking that keeps me warm :)
Ooooooh. Shiny!

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#19 Unread post by BobK »

I have an exo2 electric vest and highly recommend it. It keeps me warm and comfortable for a three or four hour right down to below freezing.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#20 Unread post by dr_bar »

BobK wrote:I have an exo2 electric vest and highly recommend it. It keeps me warm and comfortable for a three or four hour right down to below freezing.
That's the vest I own, the best part I like, is the rechargable battery that lets you walk away from the bike and stay warm... :o)