2013 Zero XU Urban Crosser: Voted Fail

Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 Zero XU Urban Crosser is...

You may select 1 option

View results

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: This Week - 2013 Zero XU Urban Crosser: Vote & Discuss

#11 Unread post by ceemes »

BobK wrote:I don't know this for a fact, it's only what I read in an article about the Zero motorcycle, but they claim that their batteries are very non-toxic:

http://faircompanies.com/videos/view/ze ... ric-bikes/
A claim by the company which if true would be good news, however no they provide no sceintific proof or studies to back it up. Lithium Ion batteries while a good storage media for electrical energy, do pose a huge environmental risk if disposed off incorrectly and in an unsafe manner. Until proof is offered by an independent 3rd party accredited source, their claim hold about as much water as the tobacco companies claiming cigarette's are not addictive nor cause cancer.
Always ask why.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#12 Unread post by blues2cruise »

For this kind of money..If I wanted just a commuter bike, Id get a scooter....

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#13 Unread post by jstark47 »

Fail. For $10.4K I get a commuter bike that I can't commute on? Round trip to work, shortest route, is 62 miles. Average speed on I-295 especially in the a.m. is 80 mph. I'd have to charge it at work, and...... guess what? No charging stations in the parking lot at my job.

For almost $3K less, I can get a Triumph Bonneville which can be a city bike AND a freeway commuter. And if I just needed a city bike, like Blues said, get a scooter. A Honda PCX150 would do nicely, for less than $3500.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#14 Unread post by High_Side »

I see this age of electric bikes as a bridge to the real deal when battery technology reaches a viable level. The people who buy these machines will likely understand that but have the disposable income to go along for the ride. Battery technology is improving all of the time and the real test will be if we arrive at the viable solution before everyone gives up on the concept.

I'll give it a "cool" for trying to be different and potentially improving the breed.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#15 Unread post by HYPERR »

Epic fail, it's mfugly, has no range, and is a band aid cure and draws attention away from what is the biggests culprit of all, diesels.

Diesels are the filthiest and the most disgusting engines made today. And of course for obvious political reasons are not regulated by real emission standards so they pollute the planet like crazy with their disgusting fumes and horrific odor. Why not have strict emission standard for diesels like they have for gasoline engines? Because US Congress, et al will never create a law that would for obvious reasons. Even in places they test diesels for emissins, they only test for HC and CO, which is a joke because they do not test for NO which is why diesels continue to get away with murder.

Create a emission standard for diesels that are as strict as for gasoline engines and the planet and the air quality will improve drastically. I will gladly pay my share of increased cost for goods resulting from companies like Caterpillar now having to build engines that meet these requirements instead of building engines that are antique relics from about 50 years ago.

As for passenger cars that burn diesel, they should be all banned as there is no reason for passenger cars to be burning diesels.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

snakedoctEr726
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '11 BMW K1300S

#16 Unread post by snakedoctEr726 »

HYPERR wrote: Diesels are the filthiest and the most disgusting engines made today. And of course for obvious political reasons are not regulated by real emission standards so they pollute the planet like crazy with their disgusting fumes and horrific odor. Why not have strict emission standard for diesels like they have for gasoline engines? Because US Congress, et al will never create a law that would for obvious reasons. Even in places they test diesels for emissins, they only test for HC and CO, which is a joke because they do not test for NO which is why diesels continue to get away with murder.

Create a emission standard for diesels that are as strict as for gasoline engines and the planet and the air quality will improve drastically. I will gladly pay my share of increased cost for goods resulting from companies like Caterpillar now having to build engines that meet these requirements instead of building engines that are antique relics from about 50 years ago.

As for passenger cars that burn diesel, they should be all banned as there is no reason for passenger cars to be burning diesels.
Get off your soapbox and provide some reliable evidence to support that. Or just keep making stuff up. Whatever floats your boat.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#17 Unread post by HYPERR »

snakedoctEr726 wrote:
HYPERR wrote: Diesels are the filthiest and the most disgusting engines made today. And of course for obvious political reasons are not regulated by real emission standards so they pollute the planet like crazy with their disgusting fumes and horrific odor. Why not have strict emission standard for diesels like they have for gasoline engines? Because US Congress, et al will never create a law that would for obvious reasons. Even in places they test diesels for emissins, they only test for HC and CO, which is a joke because they do not test for NO which is why diesels continue to get away with murder.

Get off your soapbox and provide some reliable evidence to support that. Or just keep making stuff up. Whatever floats your boat.
What are you talking about?
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#18 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Wow...

Who'uld've thought there'd be so much to talk about for one little puddle jumper of a bike?

I think it's great, and I'll tell you why. I see this not as a chance for an evolution to electric transportation (which it is, to be sure, but not the greatest point), but as a chance for an evolution to greater ridership. Automatic shift, relatively inexpensive, and did you catch the part where you can do 38 city miles for $.30 cents? I realize those are estimates, but gas would have to $0.60 a gallon for you get that kind of fuel economy out of even the lightest plastic fantastic. So someone who's looking to get into riding for the economics of it simply can't help but gravitate towards this thing. It's damn near a bicycle, only without all that pesky pedaling. Sure, it's got ZERO (hah hah!) use outisde of an urban environment, but give 'em time and they'll start pushing the range to respectable numbers.

And in the interim, we'll get a few more converts to our sport. I'm voting awesome for what this bike could do for all of us, not for any one of us.

DavyP
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 2008/Honda/vtx1300

#19 Unread post by DavyP »

Hmmm....7hrs of charging for 1 hr of riding. Now there's economy!!
FAIL!
An electric scooter will work for city commuting for a lot cheaper.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#20 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Yeah...

But then you'd be a Marvin.

And I read 4 hours of charging -- well, 3.something.