2013 BMW R1200GS: Voted Cool

Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 BMW R1200GS is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2013 BMW R1200GS: Voted Cool

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2013 BMW R1200GS on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... 1200GS.htm

2013 BMW R1200GS

One R 1200 GS. One Mission – The best GS of all times.
The BMW R 1200 GS – the icon of all travel enduros. For 32 years “the GS” has been defining its segment and has proven to be the trusty companion on any motorcycle adventure. BMW Motorrad is now embarking on a new chapter of its success story and is yet again perfecting the iconic R 1200 GS.

One R 1200 GS. One Feeling – Power in every situation.
Powerful, refined, and high revving. The R 1200 GS is powered by a new opposed twin engine design delivering 125 hp. Based on a new concept of combined air and liquid cooling and vertical flows through the cylinders, the engine operates efficiently, reliably, and with high torques at all times. Further improvements like the new wet clutch with antihopping feature, the electromotive throttle actuator E-Gas, and the optional “riding modes” make the opposed twin engine the perfect drive solution at the heart of the new R 1200 GS.

One R 1200 GS. One Emotion – Supreme control
The new R 1200 GS is ready for any terrain, thanks to the greater rigidity of its main frame and its enhanced Paralever and Telelever for even greater enduro steering accuracy. The optional Dynamic ESA configures the suspension automatically to the terrain and load conditions. The GS provides even more functions with the optional “riding modes”, a set of four different configurations that can be selected at the push of a button.

One R 1200 GS. One Impression – Strong individuality.
At first glance, the “new one” too is a genuine GS: robust, dynamic, and full of character. New body panels with a perfect finish underscore its high quality character. The new cooling concept was integrated seamlessly into the distinctive design, and the visual emphasis moved to the front. The new R 1200 GS now gives the impression of more balance and power. Thanks to its extensive range of options, the R 1200 GS is absolutely unique. With an innovative, unique LED headlamp, cross spoke wheels, and a wide choice of options and packages, everyone can convert this enduro into “his” or "her" GS.

One World. One R 1200 GS – The tour of your life.
At the launch of the new R 1200 GS, BMW Motorrad will be setting a unique test ride in motion. In the “One World. One R 1200 GS.” event, BMW Motorrad will be sending five enduro adventurers on the redefined icon R 1200 GS on five tours all around the world. The first of its kind in the world, this project will be putting “the new one” to a gruelling test – and, with a little luck, give you too the opportunity for the tour of your life.

2013 BMW R1200GS - USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: See dealer for Pricing.

Engine
Capacity cc 1,170
Bore/stroke mm 101/73
Output kW/bhp 92/125 at engine speed rpm 7700
Torque Nm 125 at engine speed rpm 6500
Type air/water-cooled 2-cylinderboxer engine
No. of cylinders 2
Compression/fuel 12.5:1 / Premium unleaded (95 RON)
Valve actuation DOHC
Valves per cylinder 4
Ø Intake/outlet mm 40/34
Ø Throttle valve mm 52
Carburetion BMS-X
Emission control Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter

Electrical system
Alternator W 620
Battery V/Ah 12/12 maintenance-free
Headlight W H7 / LED (SA)
Starter kW 0.9
Power transmission - gearbox
Clutch Anti-hopping wet clutch
Gearbox Constant mesh 6-speed gearbox
Primary ratio 1.65
Transmission ratios I 2.438
II 1.714
III 1.296
IV 1.059
V 0.943
VI 0.848
Rear wheel drive cardan shaft
Transmission ratio 2.91

Chassis
Frame construction type Tubular steel bridge frame, engine self-supporting
Suspension, front BMW Telelever
Suspension, rear BMW EVO Paralever
Spring travel, front/rear mm 190/200
Wheel castor mm 99.6
Wheelbase mm 1507
Steering head angle ° 64.5
Brakes front Hydraulically actuated twin disc brake, Ø 305 mm
rear Single-disc brake Ø 276 mm
BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (standard, part intergal, disengageable)
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This week: 2013 BMW R1200GS: Vote Now

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Brand new from BMW for 2013

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#3 Unread post by High_Side »

Posted a few hours later than normal as the boss is away....

Enjoy!

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#4 Unread post by dr_bar »

Aahhh!!! I was wondering what had happened...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#5 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I voted Uncool. As always, the Enduro segment just doesn't impress me, especially in this context of a vast backwoods trek. Better to go with a true dirt bike, rather than something with turn signal stalks and mirrors that will hamper your options.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#6 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Different tools for different tasks. I don't think these bikes (the GS in particular) are designed for "vast backwoods treks" at all (although I suppose more than a few owners do have those fantasies). You're right, if the point is to ride dirt, use a dirtbike (or at least, a much lighter dualsport).

I think of the liter+ adventure bikes more as lightweight tourers that are meant to go on long trips that are 80%+ pavement, and if there's a poorly surfaced or unpaved road (the key word being road, or at worst, a light trail) that's getting in the way of points A and B, at least you've got the ground clearance and suspension to sort of deal with it.

That said, I guess I'd give this GS a cool vote, nothing more. I'm sure it's an awesome bike, but there are just so d@mned many of them out there. I think 30% of the guys I ride with have the current 1200GS or GS Adv. It's a bit like a song that you used to love, but got tired of because it's overplayed.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#7 Unread post by HYPERR »

I love the BMW Boxer engine of any incarnation. I love the way the GS looks too! Also kudos to BMW for retaining the iconic Boxer engine look while switching to liquid cooled. No other way to vote other than awesome!
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

High_Side wrote:Posted a few hours later than normal as the boss is away....

Enjoy!
Thanks for moving this over to the Cool Wall while I was on vacation! Much appreciated. :D

Mike

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#9 Unread post by Hanson »

I love this bike and it invokes dreams of epic journeys such as a ride up the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse Alaska. Any motorcycle that intrudes regularly into my REM sleep top 10 video play list gets an Awesome rating.
ImageImage

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#10 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I went with Cool but almost didn't write anything.

The BMW 1200GS is truly the flagship of the adventure touring market. It's sleek look, amazing power, technology, robust aftermarket support and rideability unequivacally designate this machine as the point of comparison for all other players in the market. There are only two reasons that this misses the awesome mark in my book. The first, undeniably, reason centers on this machine being a beast. It's certainly the Range Rover SUV that "could" do offroad, but very few riders will have the ability or the inclination to take it too its limits. Unfortunately, offroad those limits are hit fairly early even compared to other machines in this segment (Versys, Vstrom, Tiger).

The second reason is the price. I got my "last years" model 2006 V-strom off the Showroom floor in January of 2007 for ~$5500 out the door. The BMW, which admittedly is not out of the norm for pricing, starts at $17500 out the door from my local dealer. Call me thrifty but that price range takes a star off in my book.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars