2013 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom: Cool Factor 78.3%

Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2013 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom: Cool Factor 78.3%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2013 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... Custom.htm

2013 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom

The California 1400 Custom and California 1400 Touring are presented as world ambassadors for the Moto Guzzi brand, embodying the highest values of Italian designed as an ideal of beauty and luxury. Everything on the California Touring and California Custom helps to combine the best of the latest and most advanced technology with the classic style and elegance of the Moto Guzzi brand: brand new powerful 1400cc engine in the classic transversal V2 architecture, ride by wire, cruise control, ABS and traction control are among the key features.

Hand built in the factory in Mandello del Lario (Como, Italy), where the Moto Guzzi are born continuously since 1921, the California 1400 is distinguished by the craftsmanship with which each component is assembled. Attention that makes every Moto Guzzi California a unique piece, able to marry and to emphasize the strong personality of a passionate and exclusive clientele.

With the California 1400 project Moto Guzzi redefines the concept of the luxury bike, polarising it into two opposite personalities in style, but combined in the expression of reference technologies and performance.

The emblem of a culture and capability of building unique bikes since 1921, the California 1400 Touring and Custom models are assembled by hand in the Mandello del Lario plant and, with their innovation and style, they represent the turning point in Moto Guzzi history, one of the oldest and most respected brands in motorcycle history.

2013 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom - Specifications/Technical Details
MSRP Price: NA

ENGINE
Type : 90° V-twin engine, 4-stroke, 4 valves, double ignition
Cooling : through air and oil and an independent cooling pump. Oil radiator with thermostat controlled fan.
Engine capacity : 1380 cm³
Bore and stroke : 104 x 81.2 mm
Compression ratio : 10.5 : 1
Timing system diagram : intake valve opens 19° BTDC
(1-mm checking clearance) intake valve closes 55° ABDC
exhaust valve opens 49° BBDC
exhaust valve closes 12° ATDC

Maximum power : 71 kW (96 HP) at 6500 min-1
Maximum torque : 120 Nm (12.3 kgm) 2750 min-1
Fuel supply / Ignition : phased electronic Multipoint sequential injection, Magneti Marelli IAW7SM; “ride by wire” Ø 52 mm throttle body, IWP 243 Magneti Marelli injectors, double oxygen sensor, integrated management of 3 engine mappings, traction control, cruise control
Starter : Electric
Spark plugs : NGK LMAR8F, 2 per cylinder

Exhaust system : stainless steel, 2-in-2 type, three-way catalytic converter with double lambda probe
Type approval : Euro 3

TRANSMISSION
Gearbox : 6 speeds with final overdrive
Gear ratio values : 1st 17/38 = 1 : 2.235
: 2nd 20/34 = 1 : 1.700
: 3rd 23/31 = 1 : 1.348
: 4th 26/29 = 1 : 1.115
: 5th 31/30 = 1 : 0.968
: 6th 30/24 = 1 : 0.8

Primary drive : with helical teeth, ratio 26/35 = 1: 1,346)
Final drive : double cardan joint and fixed bevel gear seat, drive ratio 10/36 = 1: 3.6)
Clutch : single-disc with integrated anti-vibration buffer

CHASSIS
Chassis : steel tubing, closed double cradle with elastic-kinematic engine mounting system to isolate vibrations.
Wheelbase : 1685 mm
Trail : 155 mm
Headstock angle : 32°
Steering angle : 38°
Front suspension : UDS fork, Ø 46 mm, with radial calliper mounting bracket and telescopes on the stanchions
Front wheel travel : 120 mm
Rear suspension : Special shocks with separated reservoir tank, adjustable spring preload and compression /reboud damping
Rear wheel travel :
Front brake : dual 320 mm stainless steel floating discs, Brembo radial callipers with 4 horizontally opposed pistons
Rear brake : 282 mm stainless steel fixed disc, Brembo floating calliper with 2 parallel pistons
Wheels : Aluminium alloy
Front wheel rim : 3.50” x 18”
Rear wheel rim : 6.00” x 16”
Front tyre : 130/70 R 18”
Rear tyre : 200/60 R 16”

ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
System voltage : 12 V
Battery : 12V - 18 Ah
Alternator : 12 V - 550 W

DIMENSIONS
Length : 2445 mm
Width : 1030mm (Custom: 850mm)
Height : 1460 mm (Custom: 1181 mm)
Saddle height : 740 mm (Opt: 720 mm)
Minimum ground clearance : 165 mm
Dry weight : 300kg
Curb weight 315kg
Fuel tank capacity : 20.5 litres
Reserve : 5 litres

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... Custom.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: This week: 2013 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom: Vote

#2 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Definitely more to my taste than the last MG on the Wall. Before I cast a vote though, I gotta ask -- any other pics in the press kit? She looks pretty, but the drama of that photo doesn't call out details very well.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#3 Unread post by dr_bar »

I voted cool, I've always loved the transverse mounted twin and this looks great. Although specs really mean nothing until you throw your leg over it and take it for a ride... I just may have to do that, if for no other reason, but to say I did...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

JackoftheGreen wrote:Definitely more to my taste than the last MG on the Wall. Before I cast a vote though, I gotta ask -- any other pics in the press kit? She looks pretty, but the drama of that photo doesn't call out details very well.
Sorry, I fixed the link to the images above. Plus another 5 photos here too: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... Custom.htm :D

There are quite a few (about 40 images) I had to pick from so if you need something else in detail, just ask. :D

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#5 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I like it. A solid Cool.

The hindquarters have a nice, muscular feel to them, although the vestigal pillion would likely make it aesthetically challenging to outfit this for serious touring. For that reason this could only be a daytripper or 'overnight bike' in my book, but it'd sure be an excellent daytrip just the same.

Cocpit looks great from the tank side, but from the front it turns a little insectoid. A nice tinted windscreen and maybe some heavier rearview mirrors would be a necessity. Trumpet exhaust is too retro for me, although Carrie likes it, and I can't decide which side of the polarizing exposed cylinder heads I fall on. One second it looks really tough -- the next, it looks like the fabrication department confused their centimeters for inches.

All that said, though, the overall curb effect of this bike is classy and striking. Combine that with a solid, quality cruiser with all-day power and the Cool is falling like rain. I wonder if this one smells like pizza too...

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#6 Unread post by ceemes »

To be honest, I am not sure how to vote, cool or uncool....to me this is a bike that is not really sure what it is....up front, its you naked standard of a by gone era, but from the rear it looks like it trying hard to be blvd cruiser. Plus, only 96 HP, a bit weak for almost 1400 cc`s of displacement...for now, I will give it some more thought.
Always ask why.

TnT
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: Benelli Cafe Racer

#7 Unread post by TnT »

Very nice, and it could grow on me, it has a generic cruiser look, but with a certain je ne sais quoi?

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#8 Unread post by madjak30 »

I voted: Awesome!

Looks comfortable, has a decent fuel tank size and has a bit of a tough guy edge to it. Naked bikes are just cool, but some wind/weather protection would be nice for when you are draining the fuel on a longer ride through the mountains...the weather can change pretty quick in the mountain passes!

I'm used to the wonkey headlight...so I actually didn't even notice until someone mentioned it...

This is what I'm used to...

but what about pricing...I still really like the Victory bikes, but this is a pretty nice option too.

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#9 Unread post by sapaul »

I am going with cool, it looks a a little understated and the HP figures are not flattering, but hey, I could see myself on that cruising the boulevards of Cape town. (look guys I made a funny)

It looks meaty and strong and probably reliable as anything.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I went with: Awesome.

The Moto Guzzi transverse V-Twin offers something unique in the marketplace and this new 1400cc version puts Moto Guzzi into the "big cruiser" option for many. 96hp and a tug boat of torque, plus Italian design and craftsmanship. The design reminds me a little of a Triumph thunderbird mixed with some Victory for good measure. If anything, it's unique and not many will own one, but those that do I'm sure will love it.

I'm quite impressed that Moto Guzzi is starting to make some big waves in the market.

I don't think it will be a big seller in Europe though.

Mike