2013 Indian Chief Classic: Cool Factor 42%

Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 Indian Chief Classic is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2013 Indian Chief Classic: Cool Factor 42%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2013 Indian Chief Classic on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... lassic.htm

2013 Indian Chief Classic

Raw. Powerful. And begging to be ridden.

Built of the bare essentials, like a a 105ci PowerPlus engine and a two-into-one stainless steel exhaust system, the Chief Classic is anything but stripped down, providing all you need to cruise the roadways in style and comfort.

The 2013 Indian Chief Classic is what an Indian motorcycle is meant to be. Built with only the essentials: a thick, solo black leather seat with hand-sewn double stitching, refined 105ci PowerPlus engine, two-into-one stainless steel exhaust system, and chromed spoke wheels. It’s definitive proof that less is more. So much more.

2013 Indian Chief Classic Key Features

Colors: Thunder Black, Indian Red

Timeless Indian Script tank design says everything there is to know.

Warbonnet front fender light is as uniquely Indian as it gets.

The flowing lines of classic valance long fenders take you back to a simpler time.

Black and polished engine with chrome covers provide a distinctive, yet powerful look.

2013 Indian Chief Classic - USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $26,499* USD

Engine
Engine Type
Power Plus, Air-Cooled
Displacement
105 Cubic Inches
Bore x Stroke
3.966" x 4.25"
Compression Ratio
9 to 1
Fuel System
Closed Loop Sequential Port Fuel Injection

Drivechain
Primary Drive
Chain
Gearbox
Six Speed
Gear Ratio (overall)
1st
3.77:1
2nd
2.56:1
3rd
1.87:1
4th
1.44:1
5th
1.15:1
6th
1:1
Final Drive
Belt

Chassis
Frame
High tensile steel
Suspension/Front
Dia. 41 mm/Travel 4.25"
Suspension/Rear
Single shock/Travel 2.90"
Brakes/Front
Dual Caliper w/Floating Rotors
Brakes/Rear
Single Caliper Floating Rotor
Tires/Front
130/90-16 Black
Tires/Rear
150/80-16 Black
Wheels
Wire spoked
Exhaust System
Two into one Stainless Steel

Dimensions
Length
100.5"
Width
40.5"
Height
50.5"
Seat Height
27.25"
Wheelbase
68.4"
Dry Weight
728 lbs
GVWR
1220 lbs
Rake/Trail
34°/5.92"

Electrical & Instruments
Analog speedometer & multi-function digital display
Charging System
42 Amps
Lamps
Tear drop head lamp, fender light

Color
Thunder Black w/silver script; Indian Red w/gold script

Standard Equipment
Long Fenders; Solo Seat w/ Passenger Pillion

Pricing
$26,499

Warranty
2 Years

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... lassic.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This week: 2013 Indian Chief Classic: Vote Now

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Get excited! For 2013 we are making EVERY VOTE COUNT with our new Total Motorcycle Cool Wall standings!

Here's how we are improving our math. Every time you vote Awesome you are giving the bike 3 points. Cool gives 2 points, Uncool gives 1, and Fail gives zero. At the end of the voting week we will mulitply the number of votes in each category by the points for that category and then derive an average voting number, out of 3, for that bike. Finally, we will then normalize this average voting number against the maximum possible of 3 to give the bike a standing from 0 to 100. (Zero would mean 100% Fail votes while 100 would mean 100% Awesome votes.)

The standardization of all bikes to a scale of 0 to 100 will now give the opportunity to rank the entire year's list of bikes for the year. And best of all, it allows each and every vote to have meaning to the tally.

Here's an example:
Awesome: 8 votes x 3 points = 24 points
Cool: 12 votes x 2 points = 24 points
Uncool: 3 votes x 1 point = 3 points
Fail: 2 votes x 0 points = 0 points
Sum total: 51 points
Total number of votes: 25
Average points per vote: 51/25 = 2.04
Standardized to a maximum of 3 points: 2.04/3 x 100 = 68
...Therefore, this bike ranks a Coolwall Factor of 68!

Yeah, we know, the math looks a bit complicated, so if you don't care to figure it out then just remember - EVERY VOTE COUNTS - so get voting!

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

Ugh...Polaris had a chance to make a splash in the motorcycle field by reinventing Indian. They could have produced sport models made with Rotax engines and really made some good bikes. Instead they make a Harley wannabe. They couldn't get enough sales from this machine to keep it in business and that's how Polaris ended up with it. I'm disappointed again.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#4 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

For everyone who called the Raider gawdy, I submit for your consideration the Indian Chief.

This is what gawdy looks like on a cruiser. I love how the PR department has the audacity to pen the line 'less is more' when describing this parade float. That front fender is a Mississippi Waterfall if I've ever seen one, and if that's not enough they added a little chrome nubbin to the top and a chrome accent! Now you just need to wire up some LED accent lights to the underside of the fender, and voila'! Mobile disco! You could even make it flash...

Then the over-the-top tubby rear fender, and what's with the aprons on the saddle? Why not wrap the handlebars in leather and make the guys on the sales floor call them reigns? Hey guys, it's not actually a horse!

Top it all off with a $30,000 price tag? Fail.

LoL...bare with me. I haven't put on a new nicotine patch yet this morning...

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#5 Unread post by BobK »

It's not awful, but it doesn't do anything for me.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#6 Unread post by ceemes »

Sorry Mike, but that is overly complicated and needless....to better reflect a bikes status would be to add a Meh option....and then the option with the most votes wins.
Always ask why.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#7 Unread post by HYPERR »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
Here's an example:
Awesome: 8 votes x 3 points = 24 points
Cool: 12 votes x 2 points = 24 points
Uncool: 3 votes x 1 point = 3 points
Fail: 2 votes x 0 points = 0 points
Sum total: 51 points
Total number of votes: 25
Average points per vote: 51/25 = 2.04
Standardized to a maximum of 3 points: 2.04/3 x 100 = 68
...Therefore, this bike ranks a Coolwall Factor of 68!

Yeah, we know, the math looks a bit complicated, so if you don't care to figure it out then just remember - EVERY VOTE COUNTS - so get voting!
Definitely moving in the right direction. :kicking:

However there are some flaws IMO. Under this 3 point max system normalized to a scale of 100, a cool rating results in a score of 67. Since a score of 67 out of a 100 is a pretty poor score in most people's eyes, it is not really indicative of a cool rating. Like ceemes says, you need a meh option.
ceemes wrote:Sorry Mike, but that is overly complicated and needless....to better reflect a bikes status would be to add a Meh option....and then the option with the most votes wins.

What I would do is to award these points...

Awesome: 4
Cool: 3
Meh: 2
Uncool: 1
Fail: 0

And just average it out and let it be at that. No need to "normalize" to a scale of 100 as the result of this point system is very easy to relate; actually the same as the Grade Point Average used in the US.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#8 Unread post by montanalifter »

I voted cool for the bike, but the price is uncool. I feel this way on a lot of these bikes.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#9 Unread post by jstark47 »

OK, so this really still a Gilroy/Kings Mountain Indian, now produced by Polaris, I'm thinking? Like the Kings Mountain bikes, has a real problem with price/value: too much price for what you get. If I wanted "bare essentials" I could go get a Softail Deluxe and save about 10 grand. Hopefully Polaris can do something about breaking Indian out of the "overpriced Harley clone" mode when they start totally redesigning these bikes for ...... 2014??

In the meantime, Fail.

BTW Mike, kudos on the new scoring system. May not be perfect but it's step in the right direction.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Indian (Polaris) just sent out a press release today which included the following content. I thought it was relevant to our Cool Wall bike today:
"We are working hard designing and building the new Indian Motorcycle, but we knew it was important to honor and celebrate the long and proud heritage of Indian Motorcycle, and the Kings Mountain era played a key role in that continuing history," said Steve Menneto, Vice President of Motorcycles at parent company Polaris Industries. "When we acquired the Indian Motorcycle brand in 2011, our strategy was to retain the existing design, quality and high level of detail for which Indian Motorcycle has always been known, while making significant detail improvements in order to satisfy the continued demand from Indian Motorcycle dealers. The Final Edition is an acknowledgement of our gratitude to the team at Kings Mountain for sustaining the Indian Motorcycle story and its heritage as America's original motorcycle brand."

The Kings Mountain, North Carolina assembly line was transitioned to Polaris' Spirit Lake, Iowa production facility in 2011. The line was transported and returned to full operation in an astounding eight weeks, and continued to produce new units for the Indian Motorcycle dealer base. The state-of-the-art Spirit Lake plant also manufactures Polaris Rangers and Victory Motorcycles, though each brand is built on its own dedicated assembly line.
Full release here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=46411