2013 Indian Chief Classic: Cool Factor 42%

Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 Indian Chief Classic is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: This week: 2013 Indian Chief Classic: Vote Now

#11 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Re: New Voting System

As always, thanks so much for your comments and feedback. This was quite the headache to think about, hash out and come up with and I'm glad to hear you're liking it better than the old system. The new system allows us to maintain the original voting categories, which means you are left to decide whether you like or dislike the bike with no option for a middle ground (this is the intention of the Cool Wall). Instead the new system only changes the way the bikes score and rank at the end of each week.

The reason to normalise out of 100 is to give breathing room to the scale. I was trying to avoid having bikes at 2.77, 2.89 and instead have them land at 69 and 72. It's just easier to visualise the value, especially when they will all be in a list at the end of the year. :D

While I can't please everyone (and you know I do try :mrgreen: ) and the new math is horribly complex (and I'm the one that has to calculate it every week... hahaha) the new system really does allow for all the votes to count.

Let's try it for a bit and see how it works out. :D

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#12 Unread post by sapaul »

Blurgh
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#13 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I didn't mention it in my first post, but I wanted to add my two cents to the new rating system -- it's awesome. I know that I personally have voted 'out of true' in order to help tip the vote over or the "Cool/Uncool" fulcrum, so it's nice to know that if I think a bike really is Awesome, or a Fail, or whatever, I can cast that vote and have it truly effect the final outcome.

I agree that it creates some dissonance with numbers in the 60's coming out as "Cool", but it's going to be naturally weighted towards low numbers since Fail comes out a 0. And besides, there's been a lot of bikes that I consider "Cool" but wouldn't ride myself -- a 67 on a scale of 100 serves that sentiment just fine. Mike, thanx for all the hard work. Will you need any help going back and converting previous rankings?

TnT
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: Benelli Cafe Racer

#14 Unread post by TnT »

I really wanted this to be so cool, it's a real disappointment.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#15 Unread post by ceemes »

Mike,

While I generally like the idea of assigning values to the votes, I have been crunching the numbers and believe that the system you have adopted is unintentionally unfairly biased towards the cool/awesome categories and basically discounts the fail category. (Note: Calculations were done using the actual vote count during the time of this post and are subject to change as voting proceeds)

Using a spreadsheet, I plugged in the number using your current model and here are the results.

As you can see, using the current model, this bike scores 58% of the possible points, thereby putting it firmly in the Cool section even though the majority of the voters feel it is either uncool or a fail. Using the old first past the post or simple majority system of the past, this bike would be rated Uncool.

However, I think with a bit of tweaking we can address this imbalance by simply changing the weighting system as follows:

By assigning negative values to the uncool and fail categories, we can achieve more accurate analysis of the voting. As we can see from the example, some votes cancel out other, leaving a true score which shows that this bike actually has a negative acceptance rating of -42.53% that would place it firmly in the uncool category. This better reflects the actual votes cast by the members here, although it also discounts that more actual votes for fail have been cast.

For scoring purposes, I propose the following based on percentage of potential point scored:

Awesome: 51% to 100%
Cool: 1% to 50%
Uncool: -1% to -50%
Fail: -51% to -100%

If you like, I can send you my spreadsheet, all you need to do is plug in the votes and it will do all the work for you.

Chris.
Always ask why.

JackoftheGreen

#16 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Uh...what he said. :thumbsup:

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#17 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

First of all, I give an awesome vote on the new scoring system! I'm pretty sucky at math though, so all the metric/statistical flaws that have been pointed out are a load of gobbledygook to me. But I really appreciate any and all improvements on the site.

Regarding the bike, it's a big fat fail. Just uninteresting, overpriced, and irrelevant to where most motorcycle markets/consumers are at.

I really think if someone wants to revive a brand, it wouldn't hurt to copy what John Bloor did with Triumph. They relaunched the brand with competitive, contemporary bikes like the Daytona, Trident and Trophy. They built their rep with distinctly-engineered triples (and eventually parallel twins as well). It was only later on that they capitalized on their heritage with retro designs like the Thunderbird, Bonneville, and Thruxton. I don't think you can build a modern motorcycling brand with just an exercise in fashion/styling, retro or otherwise.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#18 Unread post by Hanson »

ceemes wrote:Mike,

While I generally like the idea of assigning values to the votes, I have been crunching the numbers and believe that the system you have adopted is unintentionally unfairly biased towards the cool/awesome categories and basically discounts the fail category. (Note: Calculations were done using the actual vote count during the time of this post and are subject to change as voting proceeds)

Using a spreadsheet, I plugged in the number using your current model and here are the results.

As you can see, using the current model, this bike scores 58% of the possible points, thereby putting it firmly in the Cool section even though the majority of the voters feel it is either uncool or a fail. Using the old first past the post or simple majority system of the past, this bike would be rated Uncool.

However, I think with a bit of tweaking we can address this imbalance by simply changing the weighting system as follows:

By assigning negative values to the uncool and fail categories, we can achieve more accurate analysis of the voting. As we can see from the example, some votes cancel out other, leaving a true score which shows that this bike actually has a negative acceptance rating of -42.53% that would place it firmly in the uncool category. This better reflects the actual votes cast by the members here, although it also discounts that more actual votes for fail have been cast.

For scoring purposes, I propose the following based on percentage of potential point scored:

Awesome: 51% to 100%
Cool: 1% to 50%
Uncool: -1% to -50%
Fail: -51% to -100%

If you like, I can send you my spreadsheet, all you need to do is plug in the votes and it will do all the work for you.

Chris.
All Mike needs is the average vote and then convert that from a scale of 0 to 3 to a scale of 0 to 100 ( a percentage). In your example this number is 40.5797101449 (Uncool)

This scale can easily be divided into 4 mnemonic categories, not dissimilar to letter grades at university:

[ 00, 25 ) : Fail
[ 25, 50 ) : Uncool
[ 50, 75 ) : Cool
[ 75, 100 ]: Awesome

Easy and no confusion and the number provides finer granularity when comparing bikes within the same category.

I think your error is in your "Weighted Vote Total" as a percentage of your "Total Possible Vote" instead of simply taking 28/69 * 100 which is mathematically exactly the same as Mikes method.

Consider what you did:

Weighted Average Vote = 28/23 = 1.21739...
Weighted Vote value = 28/23 * 100/3 = 40.5797...
Total possible vote = 3*23 = 69
Percentage of total possible vote = 40.5791 / 69 * 100 = 58.81%

When we substitute we find out what is going on:
( 28/23 * 100/3 ) / ( 3*23 ) * 100 = 58.811741

The numerator can be expressed as ( ( 28*100 ) / ( 3*23 ) ) and we can now note that the term ( 3*23 ) appears twice. That is in your calculation the total possible value of 69 is used twice because you are taking a percentage of a percentage which is why 100 appears twice as well as the maximum possible vote (3*23):
( 28 * 100**2 ) / ( 3*23 )**2 = 280000 / 69**2 = 28000 / 4761 = 58.81117 = Cool.

I think Mike has it right with:
( 28/23 )/3 * 100 = 28/69 * 100 = 40.5797% = Uncool.

As to the Indian, I vote uncool, but Awesome for Mike's new methodology.
ImageImage

JackoftheGreen

#19 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Yo, what's with all this learnin'?!

You two doods should just race, whoever wins gets to pick the math for the new rating system, and a kiss from the other one's ol' lady.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#20 Unread post by jstark47 »

Grey Thumper wrote:I really think if someone wants to revive a brand, it wouldn't hurt to copy what John Bloor did with Triumph.......I don't think you can build a modern motorcycling brand with just an exercise in fashion/styling, retro or otherwise.
I don't know if John Bloor and Triumph are the only way to do it, but for sure, the various attempts to revive Indian are a lesson in what NOT to do!

JackoftheGreen wrote:Yo, what's with all this learnin'?!
You're right about that, it's gettin' heavy in here!! I didn't come here fer no eddy-macation, gol-durn it!! :smartass:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S