billk7457
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2011 Suzuki c50t

Do you ride in the rain? At night?

#1 Unread post by billk7457 »

I was set to ride to work this evening, and a banner splayed across the top of the TV screen that warned of "severe thunderstorms." I decided to take the truck instead. When I headed home, it was raining, and I began to think about the rain. I recently got a set of Frogg Toggs so I might not get soaked when I ride in the rain. Now, want to get one of those wiper things to squeegee the water of my helmet visor. At any rate, I was wondering if you ride in the rain, if you ride in the rain at night, and what advice you might share about any of this.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: Do you ride in the rain? At night?

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

I've ridden in rain, at night, in snow, etc.

My best advice is to know your own limits. If you're not ok with it, you're going to be tight, which is bad for you and your safety.

Overall? Stay loose. Remember that you're gonna have to take corners a bit slower and don't override your headlight.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#3 Unread post by montanalifter »

I have pushed the limits and ridden in snowstorms that would scare you in a car, rain, and night riding. Try not to get in those situations anymore, it increases the danger level exponentially. Still nite ride but slow waaay down. Ride with the headlight on highbean almost exclusively don't care if someone flashes me, too bad. On a two lane no problem will turn it down, but on the interstate where there is 50 or 100 yards between traffic, really? Nite riding in rural areas is tough, already made it through a deer encounter last september but my triumph did not.

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#4 Unread post by Thumper »

I'm night blind, so I neither ride nor drive at night; I ride for fun, and rain is no fun, so unless I get caught by surprise rain, I don't ride in it, either. Same thing with really high winds...I *can* but I don't enjoy it, and if I'm not going to enjoy it, I might as well take the car.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#5 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I actually enjoy riding in the rain sometimes it is so refreshing but night is tough for me I can't see so good at night even with the HID headlights.
there aint nothin like it

billk7457
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2011 Suzuki c50t

#6 Unread post by billk7457 »

I work a split shift-- 8:30 to 11:30 and then again 5:30 to 8:30. So, except for a few months when the light is longer, I am riding in the dark in the morning and the evening. I don't mind the dark, and I don't really mind the rain either. But when it is dark and rainy, I prefer to be in a covered vehicle. Unfortunately, my other vehicle is a truck getting 13.5 miles/gallon, whereas, the bike gets 45 mpg. So, it kinda becomes an economic issue.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#7 Unread post by ceemes »

When I was a motorcycle courier back in the early 90's, I round year round no matter what the weather. I would still be out there making my pick ups and deliveries while more than a few of the boys with trucks and cars would be sitting warm at home instead of braving the snow and ice covered streets. Back then, Vancouver was pretty much guaranteed to get two to three heavy dumpings of snow each winter, now we are lucky to get the odd light dusting.

These days however, I only ride 9 months of the year and put the bike away at the first sign of ice on the road, that first hint is usually when I lightly apply the brakes and my rear wheel locks up as I slide thru an intersection, which at 4 in morning is scary, but generally fairly safe as long as you lean on your horn and keep her upright.

My riding season usually starts in mid February at the latest until mid November. I ride come rain or shine and actually rather enjoy riding in the rain when it is dark out more then when its daylight for some reason. Riding in the rain can be challenging, especially when you ride into a micro burst and you think you are swimming in a river instead of riding on the road. Snow and ice are dodgy but can be dealt with if you are very careful. The only thing that i do fear most of all weather wise is hail. I will not ride in hail, first it hurts like hell when it hits you at speed and secondly, its like riding frozen frictionless ball barings.
Always ask why.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#8 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I'll ride in the rain in the daylight or in the dark if it's dry.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#9 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I actually enjoy riding in the rain during the daytime. But rain + night freaks me out. The drops on my face shield refract light so visibility ends up going to hell.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#10 Unread post by jstark47 »

blues2cruise wrote:I'll ride in the rain in the daylight or in the dark if it's dry.
This.

I ride in the rain. I ride at night. I don't do both together.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S