You may select 1 option

View results

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: This week: 2014 Can-Am Spyder RT: Vote Today

#11 Unread post by ceemes »

Gummiente wrote:When they first came out, I thought the Spyder was the answer to a question nobody had asked. I figured they would quietly go away in a year or two from a lack of sales, but several years later they're still around and I see more of them on the roads every day. As a dedicated sidecar enthusiast, I find the concept of a trike hard enough to fathom, but the "2 up front, 1 at the rear" layout of the Spyder just makes absolutely no sense to me. It is inherently unsafe and difficult to steer, but Bombardier has managed to counteract the bad handling traits by injecting the platform with all kinds of gee-whiz technology and transform it into a very fine handling machine.

However. It is not a "bike" by my definition and as such it does not get a vote. I do still wave to them whenever I see one, though.
Actually, the two upfront and one behind is inherently more stable then one upfront and two behind. The Morgan I posted was tested by Richard Hammond of Top Gear (UK) on one of their challenges. He demonstrated it cornered well with out tipping over and could even do donuts.

The same could not be said of that other icon of British three wheelers, the Reliant Robin, which like the Bay Class Mine Sweeper I served on, would roll on a wet teabag, in the case of the Robin, it would roll to one side in a turn, nose in and flip over.

But I agree with you, Sypder is not a bike, nor is it a car, it is something else all together. Closest other vehicle I can think of is a snow mobile, only instead of having a drive track and ski's, its got wheels.
Always ask why.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#12 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

montanalifter wrote:I voted cool just because the next is uncool. Its not a motorcycle. If you are too old or have a disability then it would be a better than a car. I like the new engine and updates.
Hmmm, if I was disabled in some way, I'd rather get a 3 wheeled leaning scooter like a Piaggio MP3, or a convertible car (Miata, Z4, etc). As has been mentioned before, a Can Am has none of the advantages of a bike (filtering, lane splitting, leaning), and none of the advantages of a car (safety cage, protection from the environment).

Fail.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#13 Unread post by Gummiente »

ceemes wrote:Actually, the two upfront and one behind is inherently more stable then one upfront and two behind. The Morgan I posted was tested by Richard Hammond of Top Gear (UK) on one of their challenges.
The difference here is that the Morgan has a longer wheelbase and places its side-by-side occupants behind and on the same level as the motor. The made in Quebec T-Rex has a similar setup, only the occupants are placed side-by-side in front of and on the same level as the motor. These two configurations keep the C of G lower and the handling characteristics better than the much shorter and taller Spyder with its occupants seated in line and above the motor. I spent some time last night unsuccessfully trying to locate and quote from an article I'd read a while ago about the Spyder, but the gist of it was that the Spyder is useless without all the technology in place. A test was done where all the gee-whiz stuff was disconnected; the drivers found they had much difficulty keeping it on the course as a result. Compare that with an out of the box traditional trike from a Harley dealer (or any trike conversion by Hannigan, Champion, Lehman) that has nothing more than ABS and kicked out triple trees pinned to it and you'll find the trike's handling characteristics are much better.

However, WITH all the technology the Spyder is arguably the safer ride than the traditional trike. But, and you may agree, the Spyder is more "2/3 car + 1/3 bike" while the trike is "2/3 bike, 1/3 car". And, of course, sidecars are a whole new argument. :)
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#14 Unread post by Hanson »

I almost never give an Awesome or a Fail, but this is not a motorcycle so a fail on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall.
ImageImage

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#15 Unread post by ceemes »

Gummiente wrote:
However, WITH all the technology the Spyder is arguably the safer ride than the traditional trike. But, and you may agree, the Spyder is more "2/3 car + 1/3 bike" while the trike is "2/3 bike, 1/3 car". And, of course, sidecars are a whole new argument. :)
Personally, if I had to go the three wheeler route for whatever reason, I'd go with the traditional sidecar rig. Trikes, the Spyder and MP3 are not bikes.
Always ask why.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#16 Unread post by jstark47 »

ceemes wrote:
Gummiente wrote:
Personally, if I had to go the three wheeler route for whatever reason, I'd go with the traditional sidecar rig. Trikes, the Spyder and MP3 are not bikes.
I would give the MP3 a free pass as a motorcycle. It leans, and it feels, well, "bike-ish" for lack of a better word. The Spyder however does not. (Traditional trikes I can't say, never ridden one.)
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#17 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Wow, lots of great discussion on the Spyder! I love it. :D

The Spyder sure is unique, is it truly a motorcycle? Is it more a car? Does it even belong on the Cool Wall or TMW at all? These are question's I've wrestled with myself over the years. Some years I find myself on one side of the fence or another.

Like Gummi, I do shake my head thinking in disbelief that the Spyder line keeps on going on, I honestly do see a few parked (that's about it) in Houston, and only seen 1 or 2 on the road, but BRP keeps on selling (and improving them) each year. There is a market for them, but I didn't think the market would have lasted this long; after all, it's starting price is a decent new car!

If there is a market for these, there MUST be a market for so many other things (retro bikes, naked bikes, comfortable spotbikes, V-Twin sports, inline-4 cruisers, etc)

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#18 Unread post by Gummiente »

totalmotorcycle wrote:but BRP keeps on selling (and improving them) each year.
Bombardier, actually. You know, that Canadian company. :wink:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#19 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

This is a 3 wheeler well it could be if I ever get round to doing something with it. I really do not like the 3 wheel experience and even though I like quadding but not on the street :mrgreen: The servi car is more a death trap than a motorcycle. If I ever finish it it will be parade only...
Attachments
servicar.jpg
servicar.jpg (74.57 KiB) Viewed 9607 times
there aint nothin like it

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#20 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I can't help but be baffled by this level of opposition to the Spyder. What's particularly interesting is that the general opinion changes yearly and by trim level. (-:

If we're going to accept bikes with sidecars and trikes as 'real' bikes, I fail to understand why the Spyder doesn't get a pass too. I'll agree it's not the sort of bike I'd consider riding given my youth and general good health, but the same goes for a trike, and I feel the Spyder would fulfill the mission of a sidecar equipped scoot with a fair measure more competence. And I'd certainly attribute a lot more 'cred' to a rider on one of these than someone pulling a trailer with their full-dress.

That said, the price of one of these makes it tough to give an Awesome. So I'll say Cool.