You may select 1 option

View results

JackoftheGreen
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: This Week: 2014 Zero FX - Vote Today

#11 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

BRUMBEAR wrote:The proverbial worm is starting to turn. The reason I love the idea of electrics is they can make trains go 200mph with ease IMAGINE what a super Bike could do
Brum, there's a great article by James Parker in the March '14 issue of MOTORCYCLIST that touches on the potential of electric powertrains, worth a read and the rest of the rag justifies the cover price. You should check it out.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#12 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Such a struggle for me on this one. Looks: ugly. Belt drive for off-road: issue. Electric bike: super awesome. In the end I gave it a cool mostly for it's "greenness", even though I really wanted to give it an uncool...
Andrea :sun:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#13 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I went with a shocking....fail vote.

Yes, I failed it. While the idea of an electric bike is definitely cool, I feel it's a little too ahead of it's time. I'm quite concerned about the battery's lifespan, even if it's long, say 10 years, in 10 years can you even buy the batteries? If the bike it worth $2000 in 10 years, are the batteries $1000 to buy or more? Will the electric bike be considered a "throw-a-way" cell phone?

Range, 42-50ish miles on a charge? hmmm, to me, that's a worry some short distance to depend on a bike not getting you there, and it that at freezing temperatures or perfect room temperature?

The other concern I have is the looks, like hybrid cars, why can't they make them look like a normal bike? The FX isn't bad but some of them are..well, not designed attractively let's say.

So while I like the idea of electric bikes, I think it's just too soon for them unless you consider the above.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#14 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Your Coolness Factor of the 2014 Zero FX is:

Awesome (3 points) 20% [ 4 ]
Cool (2 points) 45% [ 9 ]
Uncool (1 point) 25% [ 5 ]
Fail (0 point) 10% [ 2 ]

Total votes : 20

= a Coolwall Factor of 58.3%

NOTES: I think the words "So much potential..." best sums it up.

Next 2014 TMW Cool Wall bike is now up for voting on, have fun!!
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.