Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2014 Honda Valkyrie GL1800CA ABS - Coolness Factor = 56.5%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2014 Honda Valkyrie GL1800CA ABS on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For A LOT MORE photos and information click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... CA-ABS.htm

2014 Honda Valkyrie GL1800CA ABS

The Gold Wing 1800 stripped down to its hot rod heart. Bigger, badder and better than ever, the Valkyrie is back...

The Valkyrie® name is legendary, and the machine first introduced in 1996 has a hard-core following to this day. Now for 2014, the Valkyrie takes that unmistakable swagger to a whole new level. It's a winning formula: Take a legendary machine, strip it down to the essentials to shed pounds, wrap it in minimalist bodywork and power it with an engine that produces ground-shaking torque and an unmistakable six-cylinder howl. The core of this remarkable custom is Honda's unique 1832cc liquid-cooled horizontally opposed six-cylinder engine that also powers the Gold Wing® and Gold Wing F6B. With an awe-inspiring power-to-weight ratio, aluminum twin-spar frame and suspension system tuned for serious riders, the Valkyrie is all about unparalleled performance and style. With a curb weight of 750 pounds, the Valkyrie is a welterweight with a heavyweight punch, that also includes modern touches; LED headlight, taillight and turn signals, multi-function digital LCD instrumentation and available Anti-Lock Braking System. The Valkyrie is one totally cool ride that's set so far apart from anything else on the market it has to be experienced to be believed.

GL1800C - hot rod heart

2014 Honda Valkyrie GL1800CA ABS - http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $ See Dealer for Pricing in USD
Canadian MSRP Price: $19,999 CDN

ENGINE
Engine Type 1832cc liquid-cooled horizontally opposed six-cylinder
Bore and Stroke 74mm x 71mm
Compression Ratio 9.8:1
Valve Train SOHC; two valves per cylinder
Induction PGM-FI, Programmed Fuel Injection
Ignition Computer-controlled digital with 3-D mapping
DRIVE TRAIN
Transmission Five-speed
Final Drive Shaft

CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES
Front Suspension 45mm cartridge fork with anti-dive system, TBD inches travel
Rear Suspension Pro Arm® single-side swingarm with Pro-Link® (http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com) single shock with hydraulic spring-
preload; TBD inches travel
Front Brake Dual 310mm front discs; optional ABS
Rear Brake 316mm rear disc; optional ABS
Front Tire 130/60R-19
Rear Tire 180/55R-17

DIMENSIONS @ http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com
Rake (Caster Angle) 29° 50'
Trail 114mm (4.5 inches)
Wheelbase 67.2 inches
Seat Height 28.8 inches
Curb Weight 754 pounds. Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuel—ready to ride
Fuel Capacity 6.1 gallons

For A LOT MORE photos and information click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... CA-ABS.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

Re: This Week: 2014 Honda Valkyrie GL1800CA ABS - Vote Today

#2 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

That is an abomination IMO I hate it.
there aint nothin like it

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

It's been done before, but a very long time ago. I've always been slightly interested in a naked Gold Wing, even thought of getting a 1975-1979 one at one time. This one is quite interestingly... bulky.

Funny enough, it reminds me of the Suzuki B-King a little:

You can read more about the Gold Wing in my special Model History Timeline Guide:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/modelhis ... -Page1.htm

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

It's a nice blue. :mrgreen:

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#5 Unread post by blues2cruise »

It has absolutely no resemblance to the Valkyrie I knew. I used to ride as a passenger on Doc's Valkyrie. It was so comfy from a passenger point of view. The one above does not look like it is very passenger friendly.

It also has lost the "cruiser" look.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

blues2cruise wrote:It has absolutely no resemblance to the Valkyrie I knew. I used to ride as a passenger on Doc's Valkyrie. It was so comfy from a passenger point of view. The one above does not look like it is very passenger friendly.

It also has lost the "cruiser" look.
I agree with you there,

I remember the previous generation Valkyrie quite well, a mechanic friend had one and loved it. This new Valkyrie I imagine due to the radiators is making it look more "riding in a bathtub" than a cruiser. Might be just too much plastic vs the old Valk.

Mike

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#7 Unread post by Gummiente »

Fail. You think Honda would have learned their lesson with the Rune, but no. Somebody had way too much caffeine and not enough sleep in the Design Department. This thing is fugly and impractical. And as Ms Blues has stated, it ain't no Valkyrie.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#8 Unread post by jstark47 »

blues2cruise wrote:I used to ride as a passenger on Doc's Valkyrie. It was so comfy from a passenger point of view......It also has lost the "cruiser" look.
I remember Doc's Valkyrie, I rode with him for a few days when he came east in 2007. Tell him he needs to get online and come vote on this! :mrgreen:

The legacy Valk looked like a Goldwing-based engine in a cruiser frame. This bike looks like a Goldwing without the fairing, a different thing. It does sort of remind me of the Rune.

I think if I was going for a huge, cruiser-like thing, I'd prefer a Triumph Rocket. Uncool.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#9 Unread post by montanalifter »

Ugly but the more I look at it I like it, unique and great engine. I would want to put bags on it and maybe a rack or trunk, wait that has already been done. Cool.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#10 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Maybe it's because I come from a younger generation, but not having a sense of nostalgia for the Valkyrie nameplate means I can appreciate this bike for what it IS rather than what it's CALLED. That said, it only takes a quick glance at the current model GW to see the resemblance -- it's definitely the same platform and that, I feel, honors the Valkyrie tradition just fine. This is certainly a Valk, it's just a new Valk.

Now I've never been a fan of the GW, I think that's been fairly obvious every time the model has come up on The Wall. But this Valkyrie, I have to admit, I love. I'd have a hard time imagining a more perfect touring platform than this, albeit after the addition of some nice hardbags, and there's enough cruiser in there that my boots wouldn't look out of place. It's big and heavy, but the cockpit is uncluttered and the lack of a goofy front fairing allows those rad shrouds to look muscular rather than obese. There's no art in the engine, but it's more 'jet turbine' than 'dishwasher' and that's excellent. My only real aesthetic complaint is born somewhere in the mash between the saddle, side cover and fender -- the way those angles come together looks a little 1985 Ford F150 to me. Figured it out, it's because I'm used to seeing a chrome fender mount there and there isn't one. Anyway, a pair of hardbags would dress that area up nicely.

So the verdict -- as this bike sits, what it is and what it does, that's a solid Cool. But added to that is this; Big Red managed to get me to pull up a picture of a GW and find things in that rolling couch to appreciate. For that, I'm upgrading to an Awesome.