Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Re: This Week: 2014 Vespa 946 - Vote Today

#11 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

jstark47 wrote:I'm gonna ruffle some feathers, but voting fail just because it's a scooter (i.e. all scooters are fails) is wrong. That would be like voting fail on every cruiser just because they're cruisers.

If it fails at being a scooter, then that's a different story.
Exactly. Personally, I don't understand the loathing for scooters as an entire category of bike. I suppose people who live in a country/state where lane splitting is illegal simply won't get the appeal. Scooters are possibly the most appropriate kind of motorcycle for a dense urban environment with a lot of traffic congestion.

That said, I can't exactly defend this Vespa. A scooter is a tool, it should be practical. This one seems to be form at the expense of function. Doesn't seem to have room for a pillion. And it doesn't seem to have any underseat storage, an almost standard feature of scooters. Total fail.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#12 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

You know I can't tell ya why I hate scooters maybe cause the rocker appeals to me more, that said Jstark is probably right but I still hate scooters. Maybe it's the little chubby wheels or how they look like a bug or sound like a weed eater on ludes IDK they fit the bill for parking and travel in urban area ok enough but I just can't ever think of owning one or even liking one. I hate them simply because they are scooters why isn't that ok? Thinking on it even more it's not the tires or looking like a bug cause I LOVE mini bikes I still ride one regularly, nah it's scooters I hate em.
there aint nothin like it

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#13 Unread post by faded sun »

Any scooter is cool. I'll never own one but they are just sexy little machines. Of course you can get a pillion on that seat! That's the point. Chick's love it; am I right Lady Blue? IF I could afford one as well as my motorcycle and one or two others I'd like in a collection I would get one in a second - just for the fun of it. Useless for anything but puttering around but damn that is a sexy little thing! Love that Italian design thing. Always have.

There's a reason a lot of the electric bikes look like scooters....
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#14 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Awesome

Vespa (to me) is THE most successful scooter company in our modern era as they have successfully combined style, heritage, technology and fashion all in one package. That's an extremely hard mountain to climb for any manufacturer and very, very few have done this with a motorcycle let alone a scooter.

The new Vespa 946 is (as mentioned above) definitely very fashionable and I bet it will be at a premium, but wow, it sure is European classy. Not sure how well it will do in America, but I can see it in the more fashionable cities doing well and with those who the cost for any scooter isn't an issue.

I've never understood why scooters were considered "below motorcycles", they share almost everything in common with a bike. The only glaring difference is I find scooter riders generally do not wear all the safety gear motorcyclists do nor take the rider training classes (unless they must by law) as many scooter riders can get away with a drivers license (usually 50cc class).

That said, if you are always riding urban or errands I'd take a scooter over a car any day, zipping around the city jungle is a lot more fun than driving in it. :D

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#15 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Awesome! After living in Europe I have a new appreciation for scooters. And this one from Vespa is so futuristic and such a huge but also hugely positive shift from their traditional look, how could it not be awesome?! This is like a company taking themselves out of the old and into the new, while keeping their heritage and branding. Nicely done! I would own one!
Andrea :sun:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#16 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2014 Vespa 946 - Coolness Factor = 56.1%
Featured: April 11th, 2014 - April 18th, 2014
Most popular vote category: Awesome

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=49134
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... pa-946.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2014 Vespa 946 is:

Awesome (3 points) 34% [ 13 ]
Cool (2 points) 26% [ 10 ]
Uncool (1 point) 13% [ 5 ]
Fail (0 point) 26% [ 10 ]

Total votes : 38

= a Coolwall Factor of 56.1%

NOTES: Even though the top category voted was Awesome, the new Vespa 946 ends up a paltry 56% cool. A very interesting result which goes to show every vote counts. That said, I'll defend the Vespa 946 as an awesome scooter, one which Vespa should do very well with. I can't think of another Scooter company in our modern era as they have successfully combined style, heritage, technology and fashion all in one package.

Next 2014 TMW Cool Wall bike is now up for voting on, have fun!!
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#17 Unread post by blues2cruise »

faded sun wrote:Any scooter is cool. I'll never own one but they are just sexy little machines. Of course you can get a pillion on that seat! That's the point. Chick's love it; am I right Lady Blue? IF I could afford one as well as my motorcycle and one or two others I'd like in a collection I would get one in a second - just for the fun of it. Useless for anything but puttering around but damn that is a sexy little thing! Love that Italian design thing. Always have.

There's a reason a lot of the electric bikes look like scooters....
Yes, faded sun,scooters are cool. I'm thinking of getting one for commuting. The price of fuel is constantly rising and it would cut down on gas usage and fit anywhere in the parking lot at work. There are no highways to get to work and back. I used to be able to use transit but when the company decided to change my hours, transit was not an option.

I think a scooter would be fun. :D