You may select 1 option

View results

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: This Week: 2014 Cleveland CycleWerks Hooligun R - Vote T

#11 Unread post by ceemes »

montanalifter wrote:For 3 grand and some change I gave it an awesome, if its 6 grand plus then I would have to look very hard and compare it to Yamaha, Honda, etc. Looked at some similar Yamaha bikes the other day and they were 8k range.
Sorry mate, but it would only rate an awesome if you consider taking 3 G's of paper money and putting a match to them a fun time, or just happen to be in a position where throwing away 3 G's is like tossing away a penny to the rest of us.

CCW bikes are notorious for falling apart even before you ride off the showroom floor. I would sooner buy a new overpriced Harley Davidson then even consider anything from CCW, and people here know what I generally think about HD's.
Always ask why.

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#12 Unread post by montanalifter »

I consider reliability and function above looks and price. I do remember now that these bikes have a history of poor reliability (that I have read) with that in mind I change my vote to fail. A simple reliable bike at a low price would be an awesome.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#13 Unread post by High_Side »

Cue the new members who are passionate about CCW in 5-4-3-......

Hehe

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#14 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

High_Side wrote:Cue the new members who are passionate about CCW in 5-4-3-......

Hehe
LoL...
Nawww...

It won't be 'till Monday. They only have internet access at school.

:::ducks:::

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#15 Unread post by jstark47 »

I did a little research. This is a Chinese-made knockoff of a Honda CRF450. The manufacturer is apparently an outfit named Asiawing, located in Shandong. The bike is marketed under a number of different brands, CCW is simply the latest to join the parade. Google Asiawing, and check out their LX450S - you'll notice a profound similarity to the "Hooligun R".... it's the same bike.

Badge engineering has always annoyed me, no matter who does it. Fail.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#16 Unread post by HYPERR »

BRUMBEAR wrote:UUHHH IDK much about the facebook thing but I just found out the Hooligan X is $6000 not $3000 so probably not, and I didn't know it was chinese I actually thought it was American. My fault for not checking but I have voted cool and it will have to stay but I don't think I'll buy one. Sorry for jumping the gun.
I believe it allows you to change your vote. :ninja:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#17 Unread post by High_Side »

jstark47 wrote:I did a little research. This is a Chinese-made knockoff of a Honda CRF450. The manufacturer is apparently an outfit named Asiawing, located in Shandong. The bike is marketed under a number of different brands, CCW is simply the latest to join the parade. Google Asiawing, and check out their LX450S - you'll notice a profound similarity to the "Hooligun R".... it's the same bike.

Badge engineering has always annoyed me, no matter who does it. Fail.
That is the Chinese way - make a product as absolute cheaply as possible and then change the name when the reputation goes south. They care so little about brand and reputation that they actually ship un-named bikes in containers that every wanna-be motorcycle manufacturer badges as their own until the inevitable happens - they disappear. Just imagine if you had someone building bikes with a reputation as a goal in China. Charging even 20% more for a quality product would be a hell of a business model, still undercutting other quality bikes in the market by quite a margin.

That said I actually rolled dice on one of the early Chinese dirt bikes and actually did not too bad. For $700 we got a 110cc electric start bike that my son ran the "poo poo" out of. There were lots of compromises and no easy fixes as everything was a one-off but we sold it 3 years later for 1/2 of the purchase price. It ran well, but the electric start packed it in after several submersions by my son.

Would I risk several thousand $ on a roll of the dice on Chinese quality? Hell no.

So therefore this one is a fail for me.

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#18 Unread post by faded sun »

Wow, now that is a reaction. Definitely something I missed earlier on this company. Not that I was gonna vote awesome or nothin' since I haven't wanted an enduro since I was a teenager.

That said it might be a good idea to pick one up as a collector's item since they don't seem destined to be in production that long...(-;

I looked at the CCW site and they are pushing the 'born-in-the-USA' button on their Canadian site. Well phrased. Too bad people have the terms "Public Relations" and "artful lying" confused. Looking at the rest of their line-up I see the design spirit is the one I associate with the dollar store. It almost looks like the real thing.
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#19 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

The history lesson is here:

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=46452

Fun reading if you get the chance. I find it amusing how many of the voters (still) have less than 5 posts.

And my favorite quote from that debate:
High_Side said:

And as soon as possible hire a low cost PR person, even if you can only afford them part time, and never, ever pick up a key board to defend your product yourself ever again. The survival of your company depends on it.
Beyond eloquent, and advice that good can't be bought. Let's see if they were paying attention.

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#20 Unread post by faded sun »

Well the fan base certainly answered the call-to-arms on that one. Looked like 3 times (or more ) the response rate that usually occurs on this forum. I eagerly await developments. You would think the way to handle the China syndrome would be to be open and frank about it and handle the quality by backing it totally.

Maybe there is a demographic that just wants to tinker all the time. But the guy that's been off the road for a YEAR with a NEW bike? Does this company have a warranty program? I don't get how they could not be drowning in warranty work. Am I missing something here?
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.