Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2015 Polaris Slingshot SL - Coolness Factor = 45.3%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2015 Polaris Slingshot SL on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... hot-SL.htm

2015 Polaris Slingshot SL

revolutionary 3-wheel roadster that delivers head turning exhilaration...

The Slingshot™ SL, with a U.S. MSRP of only $23,999, features red pearl paint, larger 18 inch forged aluminum wheels upfront and a 20 inch wheel in the rear, and a blade windscreen for wind protection. It also features our media console with a 4.3” LCD screen, back-up camera, Bluetooth® integration, and a 6-speaker audio system.

Polaris® celebrated 60 years of innovation by introducing the highly anticipated Polaris Slingshot™, an awe-inspiring 3-wheel roadster that represents the future of on-road driving exhilaration. “Slingshot was designed to deliver head turning exhilaration on two dimensions,” said Mike Jonikas, Vice President of Slingshot. “First is the exhilaration that you can see, hear, and feel while riding in Slingshot. Second is the exhilaration you feel when people turn their heads to stare at Slingshot’s unique and exotic styling.”

Established in 1954, Polaris this week celebrates its 60th anniversary and as part of this momentous occasion unleashed the radical new Slingshot. The three-wheeled Slingshot is a daring new machine, drawn from Polaris' high performance adrenalin stable that has produced products that race the deserts of Dakar and the snowfields of the Rocky Mountains.

The Slingshot offers heart pounding acceleration with a 2.4 litre DOHC four cylinder engine delivering 173 horsepower. Boasting optimised weight distribution, sport-tuned double wishbone suspension, coil-over gas filled shocks and sway bar, the Slingshot has been made to charge corners at top speeds. The combination of an open cockpit and truly dynamic performance make the Slingshot one of the most exhilarating driving experiences…. on the planet.

The pilot commands the distinctive machine with a power-assisted steering wheel and five speed manual transmission and sitting only 5 inches off the ground, pilot are made to feel like they are surfing the asphalt.

2015 Polaris Slingshot SL - http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $23,999 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $26499 CDN

DIMENSIONS / CAPACITIES

Dry Weight 1684 lbs.
Curb Weight 1743 lbs.
Overall Length (in/mm) 149.6 in/3800 mm
Overall Width (in/mm) 77.6 in/1960 mm
Overall Height (in/mm) 51.9 in/1318 mm
Track Width (in/mm) 69.1 in/1755 mm
Wheelbase (in/mm) 105.0 in/2667 mm
Ground Clearance (in/mm) http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com 5.0 in/127 mm

POWERTRAIN

Engine 2.4L DOHC
Displacement (cid/cc) 2384 cc
Bore and Stroke 88mm x 98m
Compression Ratio 10.4:1
Valve Train DOHC, VVT
Fuel 91 octane or higher

PERFORMANCE

Rev Limit (RPM) 7000 RPM
Peak Power (HP) 173 HP @ 6200 RPM
Peak Torque (ft-lbs) 166 ft-lbs @ 4700 RPM

FLUID CAPACITY

Fuel (Gallons/Liters) 9.77 Gallons / 37.1 Liters

BRAKES

Brake Rotors (Front) Vented, 298mm diameter
Brake Rotors (Rear) Vented, 298mm diameter

WHEELS AND TIRES http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com

Front Tire Type Kenda "Slingshot" 799
Front Tire Size 225/45R18
Front Wheel Type Forged; 10 Spoke
Front Wheel Size 18x7.5 J
Rear Tire Type Kenda "Slingshot" 799
Rear Tire Size 255/35R20
Rear Wheel Type Forged; 10 Spoke
Rear Wheel Size 20x9.0 J

TRANSMISSION

Clutch Type Dry, Single Plate, Hydraulically Actuated
Transmission Type 5 Speed Synchromesh with Reverse
1st Gear Ratio 3.753:1
2nd Gear Ratio 2.258:1
3rd Gear Ratio 1.512:1
4th Gear Ratio 1.000:1
5th Gear Ratio .729:1
Reverse Gear Ratio 3.672:1
Gear Shift Pattern H
Bevel Drive Ratio 2.312:1
Final Drive Type Carbon Fiber Reinforced Belt, 36mm x 147T http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com
Final Drive Ratio 1.590:1

STEERING

Actuation Rack-and-pinion
Assist Polaris EPAS, Speed Sensitive
Steering Turns, lock-to-lock 3.2

ELECTRICAL

Battery 575 CCA

LIGHTING

Headlight 2x Projector Hi/Lo H3 55w (Center)
Auxiliary Light 2x Projector H3 55w (Outboard)
Tail/Brake Light LED
Turn Signals LED
License Plate Light LED
Speedometer & Indicator Lights LED

DRIVER AIDS

ABS (Anti-Lock Brakes) Standard
ESC (Electronic Stability Control http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com) Standard
Traction Control Standard

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... hot-SL.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week: 2015 Polaris Slingshot SL - Vote Today

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

LOTS and lots of firsts for this model...

1st motorcycle under the Polaris brand
1st mass-production motorcycle 3-wheeler using a car engine
1st 2015 Polaris "bike"

...and yes, it's classified as a motorcycle much like the Can-Am Spyder is.

So here we go! Have fun with it, Polaris is reading.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#3 Unread post by Hanson »

As a motorcycle.... fail.

As an edgy, unique roadster.... cool.

It might well be classified as a motorcycle but that does not make it one, rather it just means the current classification system can not pigeon hole this vehicle into a nice neat legal category. I don't consider Can-Am Spiders to be motorcycles either and at least you sit on a Spider instead of inside one. For that matter, a trike is not really a motorcycle either and even some side car rigs which are designed from the start to be side car rigs are pushing the boundary of what I would consider to be a motorcycle.

Two wheels please, just two.

I happily admit that side-car rigs are very cool as long as they started life with just two wheels and can be returned to the that condition without excessive drama.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#4 Unread post by montanalifter »

Another one where I don't know how to vote, not a motorcycle. Looks like it would be fun but at that price I would buy a very nice bike.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#5 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I am a Polaris guy I own 3 of them but they don't need this abomination FAIL :evil:
there aint nothin like it

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Hanson wrote:As an edgy, unique roadster.... cool.

It might well be classified as a motorcycle but that does not make it one, rather it just means the current classification system can not pigeon hole this vehicle into a nice neat legal category. I don't consider Can-Am Spiders to be motorcycles either and at least you sit on a Spider instead of inside one. For that matter, a trike is not really a motorcycle either and even some side car rigs which are designed from the start to be side car rigs are pushing the boundary of what I would consider to be a motorcycle.
It's very true this model is in a grey-area, in fact, Can-Am Spiders are in the same boat as well. I'd call it a vehicle myself rather than a motorcycle, a Trike comes to mind, with this one being what they call a "Reverse Trike". Quite the unique design. They did make a Trike in the UK for a while, it didn't do well around corners though... when I look at the Slingshot I think to myself, very cool, but I'd like it to have 4 wheels. lol.

Mike

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#7 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Yeah...

I give the Spyder a lot of latitude, most of you know I've voted it either Cool or Awesome every time it's come up. But you sit ON a Spyder, and control it with bars, and some sort of hand throttle (I admit I've never learned the particulars of the Spyder), and it's got a saddle and bags and I just SEE a kind of motorcycle with the Spyder.

This thing is different. It's a roadster, plain and simple. SXS seating, steering wheel, stick -- or maybe a slap? -- shift and obviously pedal operated throttle, brake and clutch. The legal niche that allows the Spyder to be registered and insured like a motorcycle just shouldn't apply to this -- three wheeled or otherwise. So for that reason, this just has to be a Fail.

That said, as anything other than a motorcycle, this machine is absolutely CHERRY! It looks like Fun with a capital F, like Fun wearing a miniskirt and high heels. What an insane rush it must be to flog that beast through a canyon.

Mithrandir
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: None

#8 Unread post by Mithrandir »

I have mixed thoughts about the 2015 Polaris Slingshot. I have similar thoughts as Hanson.

It is unique looking and I think it looks cool.

at 1800lbs w/170hp this would be a blast to drive. (I would expect under 6 second 0-60mph times)

@ $24k I would not consider it practical. No cover from the elements. Little if any storage.

If it was under 10k I would consider it outstanding. At 24k it is just cool.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#9 Unread post by madjak30 »

I think it's kind of ugly...edgy maybe but not good looking. I'm sure it's a fun ride, but I don't see a bike at all other than it's missing one wheel.

I do like the Spyder, but like Jack said: "you sit ON a Spyder, and control it with bars, and some sort of hand throttle and I just SEE a kind of motorcycle with the Spyder". But even the Spyder is a Skidoo with wheels, not a bike.

I vote total fail...just not for me at all.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#10 Unread post by Thumper »

I like quirky and different, but this just doesn't quite do anything for me. It's not a motorcycle--it has a freaking steering wheel--and if I'm going to be in a car, I'll stick to my VW Bug convertible...