totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: This Week: 2015 Kawasaki Ninja H2R Supercharged - Vote N

#31 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Well, they did try turbo's in the 80s with mixed success from Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki (and some 3rd parties messing with Kawasaki). In the end, a 500-650cc turbo bike did perform like a 1000cc bike, but in the end, the complexity and cost it was just easier to sell the rider a 1000cc bike.

Even then, strapping a turbo to a 650cc bike didn't net you x2 the power. The Seca 650R Turbo was a great example (and I owned the non-turbo one), I had around 72hp, the turbo version pumped out an amazing 90hp with approximately 7 psi stock to about 12 psi as modified.

So if you use those numbers, that's a 25% HP gain with a turbo. So if we took the new 2015 Kawasaki ZX-10R (188hp with ram air), then we would end up with a 235hp bike with 7-12psi boost). 235hp would be the highest HP of any production bike, but far from 300hp.

The flight for more HP = more and more money. Easy hp is cheap (exhaust or air filter) but gets more and more expensive the more you try to find (port and polishing, bore job, etc).

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Flipper
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2010 Ninja 250

#32 Unread post by Flipper »

I love any bike that helps me self actualize my Batcycle fantasy.
This one does.
2010 Ninja 250
2006 CB600F (sold)
2006 Honda Rebel (sold)

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#33 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

All those carbonfibre winglets look badass (and add to the batcycle look), but do look like a lot of expensive bits that'll snap off in even a minor shunt or drop.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#34 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

with that machine there will be no minor drops off idle you can make 60mph :mrgreen:
there aint nothin like it

ZRex
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R & 2005 ZX-12R

#35 Unread post by ZRex »

Awesome, if there were a higher vote I would put that. I don't think a lot of people on here understand that this is not a street bike, there won't be kids riding it through traffic, plus it will be extremely expensive. I don't know how strong those winglets are, but they are carbon fiber not plastic and carbon fiber is something like 5 times stronger than steel.

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#36 Unread post by montanalifter »

Love it, but really how many people with own the race version? I think it will be very interesting to see the price and specs. of the street version.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#37 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I'm wondering what Kawasaki is going to use this bike for, I'm sure it doesn't meet MotoGP guidelines, so even though it's a track bike, it's not a race bike (unless they start their own division). Would it start a horsepower war? Sure. But I'm not sure how much more is really needed. Power to weight ratio is already silly and silly+ isn't going to change a lot.

Now for a street version, I know very few professional riders that could master 200hp, let alone 300hp. A 225hp street bike with a super charger makes headlines for sure, but how rideable is it? Great for a straight line if you can hang on, but pure horsepower doesn't equal more fun, after all, horsepower = top speed. Torque = acceleration (generally). Sure, the bike will blow past 300kh/h, maybe even 350km/h, but there are very few places in the world you can legally use it.

For the cool factor, it's very cool. You have a supercharger on a bike! Wowzers. For a bike though... hmmm, many will just shake their heads at the stupidity of it all.

Whatever the reason Kawasaki has built these, I fail to see (other than a superficial reason that is).

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#38 Unread post by ceemes »

totalmotorcycle wrote:I'm wondering what Kawasaki is going to use this bike for, I'm sure it doesn't meet MotoGP guidelines, so even though it's a track bike, it's not a race bike (unless they start their own division). Would it start a horsepower war? Sure. But I'm not sure how much more is really needed. Power to weight ratio is already silly and silly+ isn't going to change a lot.

Now for a street version, I know very few professional riders that could master 200hp, let alone 300hp. A 225hp street bike with a super charger makes headlines for sure, but how rideable is it? Great for a straight line if you can hang on, but pure horsepower doesn't equal more fun, after all, horsepower = top speed. Torque = acceleration (generally). Sure, the bike will blow past 300kh/h, maybe even 350km/h, but there are very few places in the world you can legally use it.

For the cool factor, it's very cool. You have a supercharger on a bike! Wowzers. For a bike though... hmmm, many will just shake their heads at the stupidity of it all.

Whatever the reason Kawasaki has built these, I fail to see (other than a superficial reason that is).

Mike
Stupidity doesn't even begin to cover the foolishness of this bike.
Always ask why.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#39 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

ceemes wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:Whatever the reason Kawasaki has built these, I fail to see (other than a superficial reason that is).

Mike
Stupidity doesn't even begin to cover the foolishness of this bike.
Oh, we are in the same boat. I guess it all depends on how Kawasaki markets it and who their market is. Right now it's racers, which is fine with me as they don't let you on the track without full gear to crash in and it's harder to injure yourself vs the street.

Mike

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#40 Unread post by HYPERR »

totalmotorcycle wrote:horsepower = top speed. Torque = acceleration (generally)
Actually engine horsepower is much more relevant to acceleration than engine torque.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS