BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

Re: This Week: 2015 Kawasaki Ninja H2R Supercharged - Vote N

#41 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Jarlaxle wrote:Not as much as you think...you do need to turn up the fuel in proportion to the boost, which is quite simple (easiest way is to bump fuel pressure). It may not be perfectly optimized...but it will make power!

How is the blower driven?
Planetary gear
there aint nothin like it

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#42 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

HYPERR wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:horsepower = top speed. Torque = acceleration (generally)
Actually engine horsepower is much more relevant to acceleration than engine torque.
I'd have to respectfully disagree in parts. While you do need horsepower to accelerate and hp does create torque, it's the torque's twisting action that launches a vehicle forward. Think of a watermill wheel vs a model plane engine. It's the torque that you feel "seat of the pants" not the horsepower. High torque and low horsepower will launch a vehicle quickly from a stop, but you need ever increasing amounts of horsepower to go faster and faster. Massive amounts of torque won't equal high speeds, as massive amounts of horsepower (without torque) won't get you anywhere fast.

As we are discussing motorcycles here, if we take a V-Twin vs and inline-4, you'll find many videos of a Harley-Davidson beating a R1 or GSX-R1000 in a short distance because of this. The Inline-4 will pass the V-Twin if it has more HP over time as speeds increase.

It's a generalized concept that hp = speed, torque = acceleration. Both do create acceleration but each is more effective than the other when it comes to their specific properties.

Ah, here is quote I was looking for:
Where horsepower determines how fast a vehicle can travel, torque at the wheels determines how quickly that speed can be reached.
Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#43 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2015 Kawasaki Ninja H2R Supercharged - Coolness Factor = 74.0%
Featured: October 3rd, 2014 - October 10th, 2014
Most popular vote category: Awesome

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=50106
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... harged.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2015 Kawasaki Ninja H2R Supercharged is:

Awesome (3 points) 63% [ 26 ]
Cool (2 points) 12% [ 5 ]
Uncool (1 point) 7% [ 3 ]
Fail (0 point) 17% [ 7 ]

Total votes : 41

= a Coolwall Factor of 74.0%

NOTES: Five pages of comments and discussions really tells a real story of how popular this motorcycle is and how much of a splash it's made so far. Very few bikes have that much discussion on a launch and the new 2015 Kawasaki Ninja H2R Supercharged is already living up to it's fast and furious lifestyle. The question on everyone's mind is, what will the street version of this bike be like when it's announced?

Next 2014 TMW Cool Wall bike is now up for voting on, have fun!
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#44 Unread post by HYPERR »

totalmotorcycle wrote:

Ah, here is quote I was looking for:
Where horsepower determines how fast a vehicle can travel, torque at the wheels determines how quickly that speed can be reached.
Mike
That quote is talking about torque at the wheel, which is very different from engine torque. You cannot determine acceleration from engine torque but you can with engine horsepower. There are formulas that you can determine quarter mile Elapsed Time and Trap Speed and the variables that the formula uses is weight and engine horsepower, not engine torque.

If engine torque was determiner of acceleration, Harleys would be much quicker in the quarter mile than a CBR1000RR; which we of course is not the case. That is because engine horsepower determines acceleration, not engine torque.

If you are talking about torque at the wheel, yes that determines acceleration; but that is actually a by product of engine horsepower and gear ratio.

Normally one would compare engine horsepower and engine torque, not engine horsepower to torque at the wheels. The quote you posted by itself can certainly lead to confusion. The latter in this case is simply the former affected by gearing.

To give you an example of how torque at the wheel determines acceleration is:

Car A has 350 HP at the wheel and a final drive ratio of 2.50
Car B has 350 HP at the wheel and a final drive ratio of 3.20

With all other factors the same, Car B produces far more torque at the wheel, thus will accelerate faster than Car A.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

Re: 2015 Kawasaki Ninja H2R Supercharged - Coolness Factor =

#45 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I still think once the electronics kick in and you will need em 50% or better of said horsepower is rendered to reserve power which will rarely be applied. I say this because dumping even the paltry 129 rwhp my bike has will give you an eticket ride that will leave your heart pounding and your knuckels white, and even the 129 are not even truly applicable. I rarely WOT and usually get there before a lot of folks.
I will say as a 300hp track bike it will be a novelty as a 200hp streetbike it will be barely used. But hey they sell a crap load of em so some folks must find a use for em.
there aint nothin like it