Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2015 BMW S1000XR - Coolness Factor = 70.8%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2015 BMW S1000XR on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... 1000XR.htm

The BMW S1000XR – all good things come in fours...

Following on from the S1000RR and HP4 superbikes as well as the S1000R roadster, BMW Motorrad is now unveiling the fourth member in the BMW Motorrad line-up of high-power motorcycles with straight-four-cylinder engines and a distinctly sporty bias.

Building on the tantalising and unique mix of innovative technology, performance and safety already inherent to the existing models in this series, BMW Motorrad has taken the next step by bringing out the S1000XR, which offers this repertoire of core characteristics in a brand-new blend dubbed “adventure sport”. This encompasses dynamic touring qualities, sporty performance and high levels of comfort as well as outstanding everyday usability. In short, the new S1000XR serves up its own individual mix of sporting and touring flair at the same time as injecting a generous dose of emotion.

Straight-four-cylinder engine for punchy adventure sport performance.

2015 BMW S1000XR http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features

•Straight-four-cylinder engine with a displacement of 999 cc. Output 118 kW (160 hp) at 11,000 rpm, maximum torque of 112 Nm (83 lb-ft) at 9,250 rpm.
•Dynamic, innovative design with sculptural surface styling.
•BMW Motorrad ABS as standard (semi-integral, disengageable).
•ABS Pro for even greater safety when braking in a banked position (as part of the Pro riding modes optional extra).
•Automatic Stability Control (ASC) as standard for accelerating safely even in low-grip conditions.
•Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) with banking sensor for supreme performance and active riding safety when accelerating (as part of the Pro riding modes optional extra).
•Two riding modes that can be selected by the rider at the push of a button as standard (“Rain” and “Road”).
•Two additional riding modes available, “Dynamic” and “Dynamic Pro” (http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com as part of the Pro riding modes optional extra).
•Spring elements with long spring travel for excellent agility and high damping reserves.
•Electronically controlled suspension system, Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) for optimum adaptation to the prevailing conditions as an optional extra.
•Light-footed handling and raised seating position.
•Multifunctional instrument cluster with a wealth of features.
•Extensive equipment and bespoke range of accessories made to BMW Motorrad’s customary high standards.

2015 BMW S1000XR - http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $ No price released yet but available USD
Canada MSRP Price: $ No price released yet but available CDN

Engine
Displacement cm3 999
Bore/stroke mm 80/49.7
Output kW/hp 118/160
at rpm 11,000
Torque Nm 112
at rpm 9,250
Type water-cooled four-cylinder in-line engine
Compression/fuel 12.0:1/at least premium unleaded (95 RON)
Valve actuation DOHC (double overhead camshaft),
valve actuation via single rocker arms
Valves per cylinder 4
Ø Intake/outlet mm 33.5/27.2
Ø Throttle valve mm 48
Engine management BMS-X
Emission control closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter
Electrical system
Alternator W 350
Battery V/Ah 12/8, maintenance-free
Headlight W low beam H7 12 V 55 W
high beam H7 12 V 55 W
Starter kW 0.8
Power transmission ? gearbox
Clutch multi-disc anti-hopping oil-bath clutch,
mechanically operated
Gearbox constant mesh 6-speed gearbox
Primary ratio 1.652
Transmission ratios I 2.647
II 2.091
III 1.727
IV 1.500
V 1.360
VI 1.261
Final drive chain
Transmission ratio 2.647
Chassis
Frame construction type aluminium perimeter frame, engine self-supporting
Suspension, front upside-down telescopic fork, http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com, stanchion diameter 46 mm, adjustable for bump and rebound optional: Dynamic ESA
Suspension, rear aluminium double-strut swing arm with central spring strut,
adjustable for rebound,
optional: Dynamic ESA
Spring travel, front/rear mm 150/140
Wheel castor mm 117
Wheelbase mm 1 548
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

Re: This Week: 2015 BMW S1000XR - Vote Now

#2 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

WOW I may need a cigarette and a nap :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
AWESOME and a half
there aint nothin like it

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#3 Unread post by Hanson »

I like this moto.

It needs a bigger generator.

This is not an adventure bike, rather it is a sport bike with adventure looks and likely a comfortable, user friendly, upright riding position. It reminds me of the NC700X and the CB500X and should attract riders who like the K bike performance but not the sport bike riding position. With a chain drive, it also avoids all the issues with the BMW shaft drive failures.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#4 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

That is not really a sportbike riding position at all imo up bars down pegs not rearsets so your head is on a swivel your not leaning forward or cramped in a deep knee bend and your feet are right underneath ya so you can grip the tank with your legs nice and still drive into turns with your legs or stand up and shake it out if ya need to.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#5 Unread post by High_Side »

Me thinks BMW is a BIG fan of the Multistrada....

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#6 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I think this thing is like a mega-Versys (in a good way). You're not meant to take it to Tanzania and back, or to take it on singletrack. It's a light sport tourer with a tall suspension to give your knees more room and deal with the odd pothole. It's perfect for what most adventure tourers are actually, honestly used for. 160hp with comfortable ergos, some wind protection, and available hard luggage? I'm there.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#7 Unread post by Hanson »

High_Side wrote:Me thinks BMW is a BIG fan of the Multistrada....
I think this is true and the Multistrada has a major update for 2015.
Grey Thumper wrote:... It's perfect for what most adventure tourers are actually, honestly used for. 160hp with comfortable ergos, some wind protection, and available hard luggage? I'm there.
It is not like BMW has no offerings for those who want to adventure on their motorcycles or those who want to tour on their motorcycles.

What I find amusing is that some people will never go on an adventure without regard to the number, type or suitability of the motorcycles in their garage while other people have ridden the most unlikely of motorized two wheeled vehicles all over the world without any consideration for the expectations of the engineers who designed their conveyances. Adventure riders ride, it is the physical fulfilment of an attitude about life that can not be purchased at any motorcycle dealership although a lot of motorcycle manufactures have managed to sell a lot of adventure motorcycles to people trying desperately to purchase this attitude.

I feel qualified to pontificate on this topic as I am a self-aware adventure poser.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#8 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

This is why this forum needs a like button.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#9 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Hanson wrote:
High_Side wrote:Me thinks BMW is a BIG fan of the Multistrada....
I think this is true and the Multistrada has a major update for 2015.
Grey Thumper wrote:... It's perfect for what most adventure tourers are actually, honestly used for. 160hp with comfortable ergos, some wind protection, and available hard luggage? I'm there.
It is not like BMW has no offerings for those who want to adventure on their motorcycles or those who want to tour on their motorcycles.

What I find amusing is that some people will never go on an adventure without regard to the number, type or suitability of the motorcycles in their garage while other people have ridden the most unlikely of motorized two wheeled vehicles all over the world without any consideration for the expectations of the engineers who designed their conveyances. Adventure riders ride, it is the physical fulfilment of an attitude about life that can not be purchased at any motorcycle dealership although a lot of motorcycle manufactures have managed to sell a lot of adventure motorcycles to people trying desperately to purchase this attitude.

I feel qualified to pontificate on this topic as I am a self-aware adventure poser.

Safe Travels,
Richard
I hear ya I have ridden trail, street and leaf gazing missions ona Buell 1125CR not ideal for any of it but worth the price of admission :wink:

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#10 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I went awesome. I loved my S1000RR and the power it gave me but hated the seating for long rides. This combines my two favorite bikes- the Strom and the S1000 into a really cool new category Adventure Sport, which I see as taking Sport Touring and making it more nimble and agile than a big heavy bike (Contours/FJR). Curious to see the curb weight on this bad boy.

It's definitely not an adventure tourer- small front wheel, no way to bolt a bash plate on to protect that exhaust. But on roads to fireroads it shouldn't have a problem. Chain drive is good and BMW has an easier to maintain engine than the Ducati.

Still... the newer V-Strom 1000 kinda fits all the bills with the powerful grunt of a V-twin, cheaper service, cheaper accessories, and longer service intervals.

The insurance cost is likely going to make the decision on these in my personal stable.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars