Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2005 Ducati Superbike 999 - Coolness Factor = 78.7%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2005 Ducati Superbike 999 on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... ke-999.htm

The Ducati 749 Testastretta and 999 Testastretta are the most advanced, highest performance, twin-cylinder motorcycles ever produced at our Bologna, Italy factory. They epitomize the racing history of Ducati and represent the evolution of a formula that has dominated Superbike racing for over a decade. This year’s Superbike family includes seven models: the 749 Dark, 749, 749S, 749R, 999, 999S and 999R.

Two years after the launch of the latest Superbike models, Ducati decided the time had come to incorporate in our production models the features of our race machines that make them unbeatable on tracks around the world.

In motion even when others are at rest. Quicker and sexier than ever, these are real race machines that epitomize the best of Ducati’s high performance tradition.

2005 Ducati Superbike 999 Specs on http://www.totalmotorcycle.com

Engine/Drivetrain

Type L-twin cylinder, 4 valves per cylinder Testastretta Desmodromic; liquid cooled
Displacement 998 cc
BorexStroke 100 x 63.5 mm
Compression Ratio 11.4:1
Power 103 kw - 140 hp @ 9750 rpm
Torque 11.1 kgm @ 8000 rpm
Fuel injection Marelli electronic fuel injection, 54 mm throttle body
Exhaust Single steel muffler with catalytic converter
Emissions Euro2

TRASMISSION

Gearbox 6 speed
Ratios 1st 37/15, 2nd 30/17, 3rd 28/20, 4th 26/22, 5th 24/23, 6th 23/24
Primary drive Straight cut gears; ratio 1.84
Final drive Chain; Front sprocket 15; Rear sprocket 36
Clutch Dry multiplate with hydraulic control

Chassis/Suspension

Frame Tubular steel trellis
Wheelbase 1420 mm / 55.9 in
Rake 23.5° - 24.5°
Front suspension Showa 43 mm upside-down fully adjustable fork with TiN surface treatment
Front wheel travel 125 mm / 4.9 in
Front brake 2 x 320 mm semi-floating discs, 4-piston 4-pad caliper
Front wheel Y-shaped 5-spoke light alloy 3.50 x 17
Front tyre 120/70 ZR 17
Rear suspension Progressive linkage with fully adjustable Showa monoshock
Rear wheel travel 128 mm / 5 in
Rear brake 240 mm disc, 2-piston caliper
Rear wheel Y-shaped 5-spoke light alloy 5.50 x 17
Rear tyre 190/50 ZR 17
Fuel tank capacity 15.5 L / 4.1 US gal (includes 3 L / 0.8 US gal reserve)
Weight * 186 kg / 410 lbs
Seat height 780 mm / 30.7 in
Instruments Speedometer, rev counter, high beam indicator, turn signals, oil pressure warning light, low fuel warning light, neutral light, water temperature, immobilizer system, http://www.totalmotorcycle.com
Warranty 2 years unlimited mileage
Tank Colours Red, glossy black (for two-seat only)
Frame and Wheel colours Red, black (for two-seat with yellow tank only)
Versions One or Two seats

* = The weight includes battery, lubricants and, where applicable, cooling liquid.

Additional Features

New for 2004 Two years after the "red-volution", all the models in Ducati's Superbike family, in both engine sizes, have been dramatically improved. Updates have involved not just restyling but a series of major improvements to chassis and engine aimed at bringing the 749 and 999 closer still to Ducati's ultimate sports motorcycle concept, making them meaner, faster and more competitive than ever. http://www.totalmotorcycle.com
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: This Week: 2005 Ducati Superbike 999 - Vote Now

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

The LAST bike of 2014's Cool Wall (awards next) is brought to you by:

HYPERR

Enjoy!

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#3 Unread post by High_Side »

The only sin this bike committed in the eyes of the buying public was following one of the most iconic bikes of the 20th century. It was a fantastic bike, and far more interesting to look at in person than in pictures. The internet age has made it difficult to implement change without the anti-change factions squealing and drumming up animosity against anything that looks remotely new. No, it is not a 916, but is a beautiful bike in it's own right and a damned successful one as well (on the track, if not in the showroom). I think that history will be kinder to this bike than what it experienced upon it's release.

Admittedly this will likely not be the popular opinion here.... :mrgreen:

ZRex
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R & 2005 ZX-12R

#4 Unread post by ZRex »

I really loved this bike when it was new, unfortunately the only time I got to ride one was on the PS2 game Tourist Trophy. An easy Awesome for me.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#5 Unread post by HYPERR »

I have always loved this bike! Easily an awesome for me. :kicking: If I had room in the garage, I would be looking for a clean unmolested S model. :roll: When I first saw it in the flesh in 2003, I could not believe how awesome the bike looked in real life. Like High Side said, it looks much better in the flesh than in the photo. On the other hand, I never thought the 999's predecessor the 916-998 looked that great. I always thought it looked kinda bland, and even more so in real life. The 999 is about as original of a design as you could get while the 916-998 was basically a rip off of the iconic Honda NR750; and to my eyes, the Honda looks far more interesting than the bland 916-998.

Despite than the fact that I love the 999 and own a Hypermotard, I am not really a fan of Terblanche. I think his Supersport and Multistrada were super mfugly.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#6 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Easy awesome, and I never got the hate for this bike either. I thought it was a truly innovative, distinctive design, including the aerodynamic vertical wings on the fairing, and even down to the faired-in sidestand. I think time has been kind to the 999, and compared to it, the succeeding 1098-1198 are pretty, but conservative derivatives of the 916-996.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#7 Unread post by faded sun »

I have seen it in the flesh and it is a beautiful creation. Some day I would love to ride one. An awesome from me.
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

High_Side

#8 Unread post by High_Side »

HYPERR wrote:I have always loved this bike! Easily an awesome for me. :kicking: If I had room in the garage, I would be looking for a clean unmolested S model. :roll: When I first saw it in the flesh in 2003, I could not believe how awesome the bike looked in real life. Like High Side said, it looks much better in the flesh than in the photo. On the other hand, I never thought the 999's predecessor the 916-998 looked that great. I always thought it looked kinda bland, and even more so in real life. The 999 is about as original of a design as you could get while the 916-998 was basically a rip off of the iconic Honda NR750; and to my eyes, the Honda looks far more interesting than the bland 916-998.

Despite than the fact that I love the 999 and own a Hypermotard, I am not really a fan of Terblanche. I think his Supersport and Multistrada were super mfugly.
If you can believe it, the former official Ducati dealer in Calgary still has a brand new 999S on the floor. Bring money - it will cost you more than a Panigale. As for Terblanche, I actually liked his work - especially the Supermono and the later post-Ducati Guzzi concepts that he created during his short stay there. The world needs more visionaries like Terblanche and less fanboys of the NR750 (great bike but how about something new?) to help move us forward.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#9 Unread post by HYPERR »

High_Side wrote:
HYPERR wrote:I have always loved this bike! Easily an awesome for me. :kicking: If I had room in the garage, I would be looking for a clean unmolested S model. :roll: When I first saw it in the flesh in 2003, I could not believe how awesome the bike looked in real life. Like High Side said, it looks much better in the flesh than in the photo. On the other hand, I never thought the 999's predecessor the 916-998 looked that great. I always thought it looked kinda bland, and even more so in real life. The 999 is about as original of a design as you could get while the 916-998 was basically a rip off of the iconic Honda NR750; and to my eyes, the Honda looks far more interesting than the bland 916-998.

If you can believe it, the former official Ducati dealer in Calgary still has a brand new 999S on the floor. Bring money - it will cost you more than a Panigale. As for Terblanche, I actually liked his work - especially the Supermono and the later post-Ducati Guzzi concepts that he created during his short stay there. The world needs more visionaries like Terblanche and less fanboys of the NR750 (great bike but how about something new?) to help move us forward.
Wow that's crazy! Why does he still have a brand new one??? What year is it? 2006?

As for Terblanche, I must have a love/hate relationship with his design. I love the 999, more than the 916-998; but I love the carbie Supersports, and hate the Terblanche Supersports. I think he did a nice job with the Sport Classics, swelling tank and High Side's bad experience notwithstanding. :ninja:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

High_Side

#10 Unread post by High_Side »

HYPERR wrote:
High_Side wrote:

Wow that's crazy! Why does he still have a brand new one??? What year is it? 2006?

As for Terblanche, I must have a love/hate relationship with his design. I love the 999, more than the 916-998; but I love the carbie Supersports, and hate the Terblanche Supersports. I think he did a nice job with the Sport Classics, swelling tank and High Side's bad experience notwithstanding. :ninja:
Well you got me there. The Sport Classics: Beautiful to look at - absolutely dodo to ride.