Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Re: This Week: 2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin - Vote Now

#11 Unread post by Hanson »

The Super Tenere is also shaft drive.

Some of the big "adventure" bikes have a shaft drive but these tend to be road oriented. The Africa Twin has a strong dirt focus for such a large motorcycle. I think it will be competitive with offerings from KTM depending on the price point. For those in this market niche, or for those who pretend to be in this market niche, the new AT should offer the advantages of Honda reliability, maintenance, and dealer network. Think KTM performance without KTM operating expenses.

I, being somewhat round of shape and lacking the rugged good looks of the outdoor masculine ideal, I would look like a poser on this bike even if covered in thick mud.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#12 Unread post by ceemes »

Hanson wrote: I, being somewhat round of shape and lacking the rugged good looks of the outdoor masculine ideal, I would look like a poser on this bike even if covered in thick mud.

Safe Travels,
Richard
Sooooo, in other words, you are a fellow member of the Image club? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Always ask why.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#13 Unread post by blues2cruise »

jstark47 wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:I'd like to try one.

Question...Are all adventure/off road/ dual sport bikes chain driven?
........ A shaft is great (BMW has the BMW R1200GS) but adds considerable weight which isn't great for off-roading. Personally, I'd want a shafty if I was going really off the beaten path for ultimate reliability and to not have to worry about finding a chain that fits if the existing chain gets an issue.
Other shaft driven adventure tourers include the Moto Guzzi Stelvio and the Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200.
Thanks.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#14 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

ceemes wrote:
Hanson wrote: I, being somewhat round of shape and lacking the rugged good looks of the outdoor masculine ideal, I would look like a poser on this bike even if covered in thick mud.

Safe Travels,
Richard
Sooooo, in other words, you are a fellow member of the Image club? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I'm in that club. I always say, I'm not fat. I'm storing energy for an emergency.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#15 Unread post by faded sun »

I loved the TransAlp and this is almost as good looking. (for an enduro)

maybe not awesome, but a solid cool.
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#16 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Cool

I really like the dual sport category, it's sort of the "practical dirt bike", like the UJM, that it does everything well, but nothing stellar. I'm a little worried about the 500lb+ weight of it for going off-road but the 1000cc engine will be great for on-road use. And the 5gal tank is a good size, but I'd ideally like to see a 6gal+ for long distance riding. Some options that are neat but make me go "hmmm" are: Wire wheels are very interesting as usually they ADD un-sprung weight and the chain drive. These options make me think it's built more for a road/tourer than off-road, but it's two options I do like.

Grey Thumper wrote:Why the "horrible wrong turn" phrase? Any insider news or alarm bells the rest of us aren't aware of?
No, just a flavor text to get people interested in discussing it. :)
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#17 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

totalmotorcycle wrote:Some options that are neat but make me go "hmmm" are: Wire wheels are very interesting as usually they ADD un-sprung weight and the chain drive. These options make me think it's built more for a road/tourer than off-road, but it's two options I do like.
Spokes are more reliable (and repairable) off road. I'm curious though if the Honda's rims are tubeless. Open-class BMW and KTM adventurebikes have spoked rims that can be used tubeless.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#18 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Grey Thumper wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:Some options that are neat but make me go "hmmm" are: Wire wheels are very interesting as usually they ADD un-sprung weight and the chain drive. These options make me think it's built more for a road/tourer than off-road, but it's two options I do like.
Spokes are more reliable (and repairable) off road. I'm curious though if the Honda's rims are tubeless. Open-class BMW and KTM adventurebikes have spoked rims that can be used tubeless.
Good point, although I'm not sure many riders know how to change spokes in a rim and the tire (I've had about 6 spokes changed out on my 1978 Suzuki GS500E and watching the mechanic do it, I'm not sure I can install+lace them that well). I guess considering a mag rim would be "less reliable" vs spokes, but fixing spokes would be a real PITA, I think I'd go with a mag rim still, but that's just me. :)

Good question about if they are tubeless or not. If it run a tube, that would be a little easier to change a tire I would think.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

Re: 2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin - Coolness Factor = 78.8%

#19 Unread post by High_Side »

I can't believe that I missed this! I like the bike and after trying a lot of "real"adventure riding on my Multistrada (230km of gravel on Sat alone), I need something much more dirt oriented but still able to tour effectively on pavement too. This bike looks pretty great. The wheels are the correct size and the spokes will be much more durable bouncing off of rocks. Ducati is also proving to be miserable pr!cks to deal with and as much as I like the Multi, the things that go with it are wearing thin. The Honda will likely be very Honda-like and a lot more durable. I'll need to see how the initial reports are but this could be my next bike. :)