jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: This Week: 2014 Honda NM4 Vultus - Vote Today

#11 Unread post by jstark47 »

JackoftheGreen wrote:So, some quick conversions...

245kg = ~540lbs
40.3kW = ~55bph
68NnW = ~50ft/lbs

Oh, and 28km/l comes out to roughly 68mpg.
So it weighs the same as my Trophy 1200, and has half the horsepower. Yeah, that's gonna be an exciting bike alright. You can keep the 68mpg. If I'm going to ride a bike that looks like that, it better be able to do something....
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#12 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

JackoftheGreen wrote:So, some quick conversions...

245kg = ~540lbs
40.3kW = ~55bph
68NnW = ~50ft/lbs

Oh, and 28km/l comes out to roughly 68mpg.

Thanks Jack for doing those conversions. So stats on paper are not so horrible really, but what does it in (for me) is the design. I can fully appreciate Honda for making such a unique bike and they have been going out on a limb to "find their way" it seems again. Honda's Innovation is awesome even though I don't always appreciate the new designs myself.

That said, I'm thinking this design itself is pretty darn aweful... while I like Jack's point of "Can only Italian's design an edgy bike" this one (for me) is just plain aweful and is just too close to the DN-01 Honda failed at years ago... here is a quick question, why does Honda keep pushing the "DN-01 like designs"? I never heard they did anything for sales other than horrible.

So while I can appreciate the new innovations, I guess what could have changed this to a cool vote might have been color choice or do something really wicked with graphics on it. All black = no good.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#13 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2014 Honda NM4 Vultus - Coolness Factor = 44.4%
Featured: February 21st, 2014 - March 28th, 2014
Most popular vote category: Fail

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=49022
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... Vultus.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2014 Honda NM4 Vultus is:

Awesome (3 points) 21% 21% [ 8 ]
Cool (2 points) 28% 28% [ 11 ]
Uncool (1 point) 15% 15% [ 6 ]
Fail (0 point) 36% 36% [ 14 ]

Total votes : 39

NOTES: Japanimation on two-wheels, aimed at a very specific target market who gets it, will it work for Honda? As JackoftheGreen said "it should come with a katana owned by your great great great grandfather, an old scrimshaw dolphin possessed by a vengeful ghost, and the email address of a gifted but socially awkward computer genius/hacker named Keiko." Quite mixed results with the liking the design of it according to our polls though and I suspect it may end in the bottom 5 Coolest bikes of 2014...but still, 44% isn't a total fail.

Next 2014 TMW Cool Wall bike is now up for voting on, have fun!!
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: 2014 Honda NM4 Vultus - Coolness Factor = 44.4%

#14 Unread post by ceemes »

I gave it a guarded cool. Why not my type of bike and it is lacking in power, plus not sure about the transmission, I will say cool just because Honda is daring to do something unique and new. How it will do in the market place is still to be seen. In North America I figure it will bomb big time, might get a strong niche following the European and Asian markets.
Always ask why.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#15 Unread post by ceemes »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
NOTES: Japanimation on two-wheels,
Japanimation? Who the hell is still using that term? It went out of style after the Anime crowd strung Carl Macek up by his dingly danglies for screwing up The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA and unleashed the unholy abortion called Robotech.

I think you can still find pictures of that stringing up on the web, if you look closely you will see a much younger me off to left hold a burning torch to his bare buttocks.
Always ask why.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#16 Unread post by blues2cruise »

The name of it is lousy. That alone would be enough to deter me from buying it.

Shriker
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 37
My Motorcycle: '13 VMax,'98 VTR1000F, '87 XT350

#17 Unread post by Shriker »

I voted Cool......this was tough . I like this particular styling try better than other similar stuff like the DN01 etc. This is basically like a large moped which is not all bad.

It is too heavy but would probably be VERY practical with super high mileage and tons of comfort and room for stuff potentially.

Honda is trying to change the motorcycling paradigm lately, offering some interesting alternatives in the realm of two wheel transport. I applaud them for that and if this general type of machine catches on more in the future , which might make sense for folks wanting practical futuristic easy to ride and comfy automotive alternatives, Honda will be remembered for these efforts. These will appeal more to non traditional motorcyclists ........this

Only time will tell......I wonder what a more performance oriented machine could be like? Just a thought.....these could be really cool if done right.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#18 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

ceemes wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:
NOTES: Japanimation on two-wheels,
Japanimation? Who the hell is still using that term? It went out of style after the Anime crowd strung Carl Macek up by his dingly danglies for screwing up The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA and unleashed the unholy abortion called Robotech.
Talk about obscure references. I've never actually seen any of the (unrelated) original series that were edited together to create Robotech. You might appreciate this 'shop I found . . .

"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#19 Unread post by faded sun »

I read the Honda release notes for this model and given what they were going for, they hit the nail on the head. I'm not sure WHY they thought that anime fans were motorcycle riders (and maybe they are in Japan) but those are basically the market for this bike. I think Dino is right, it's not a bike that most bikers would consider owning. But those who think it is cool looking won't care how powerful it is. I wouldn't buy one either but I would love to ride one around town for a few days - I would have to get my hair dyed pink and put my earring back in - it looks like it would be a blast.

I voted awesome. I can't help it.
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.