Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2016 Ducati XDiavel - Coolness Factor = 59.8%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2016 Ducati XDiavel on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... Diavel.htm

LOW SPEED EXCITEMENT...

Ducati enters the cruiser world and does so in its very own way, presenting a real cruiser but one that boasts the design, technical content and performance that is typical of Ducati bikes. The XDiavel is “low speed excitement”, where the relaxed low-speed riding is typical of the cruiser world, while the excitement and adrenalin of sports riding is unmistakeably Ducati. The X in XDiavel represents precisely that: Two apparently different, distant worlds that come together in one unique bike, a synthesis in which both are complete, without compromise.

Cruiser Culture, Italian Beauty

The new XDiavel is the meeting of Italian experience and crusier culture,performance that merges with ergonomics. The star is the colour black, and its symbolic meanings, long since used as opposing halves with regard to personality, mystery, strength and elegance.

Ducati enters the Cruiser domain and does so in its own inimitable way, presenting a true Cruiser with all the design, technology and performance one expects from a Ducati thoroughbred. Called the XDiavel, it brings together two worlds: the Cruiser world - low speeds, relaxed riding, long journeys and feet forward ergonomics - and the Ducati world, characterised by Italian style, refined engineering and unparalleled performance.

The XDiavel ensures the "low speed excitement" typical of a Cruiser and the adrenaline rush of sports riding that Ducati has made its own. That's what the X in XDiavel stands for: the merging of two apparently separate, distant worlds on one bike, a superb combination where both are accomplished without compromise.

5,000, 60, 40. Three numbers that sum up the XDiavel concept.

5,000 as in the rpm at which the twin-cylinder engine achieves maximum torque (13.1 kgm). Extremely low revs for a Ducati engine but perfect for a Cruiser. Moreover, at 2,100 rpm the XDiavel power unit already ensures a torque of over 10 kgm, with an extremely flat curve all the way to the rev-limiter. Yet the engine remains a Ducati engine through and through, with a maximum power of 156 hp and thrilling performance across the rev range.

To obtain that performance Ducati engineers pushed the Testastretta engine through its ultimate development phase to create the Ducati Testastretta DVT 1262. Increased engine displacement, together with the DVT (Desmodromic Variable Timing) system, results in delivery of full yet fluid torque at low revs, but ensures sports bike performance when the throttle is twisted wide open. Moreover, the design work on the Ducati Testastretta DVT 1262 has been meticulous: for example, relocation of the water pump inside the intra-cylinder V means the cooling system pipes are no longer visible on the left.

60, as in the number of different ergonomic configurations for the rider. The XDiavel provides vast scope for personalisation thanks to 4 different footrest positions, 5 different seats and three different handlebars. It's also possible to fit a comfier passenger seat, even with a small backrest. All this, then, because comfortable riding means full "low speed excitement".

Lastly, 40, as in the maximum attainable lean angle. The XDiavel is a Ducati and as such ensures dynamic performance and the thrill of a sports bike, but only when you really want to push it to the limit. Frame, suspension, brakes and the chassis set-up have been designed to maximise sports-style riding fun, but without compromising on the comfort and easy handling that are essential when exploring the highways at a more relaxed pace.

The XDiavel is the first Ducati to use belt-type final transmission. A must within the Cruiser world, this system has been developed for the XDiavel by Ducati engineers to ensure reliable, secure transmission of the power provided by the Ducati Testastretta DVT 1262. Belt drive offers the advantages of more silent running, cleanliness, reduced maintenance and the fluid throttle response one wants from a Cruiser.

Design and technology merge again on the Full LED light assemblies, which play a key role in the styling of the XDiavel.
Like all latest-generation Ducati bikes the XDiavel features the Bosch Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU), which dynamically measures pitch and roll angles plus the speed of relative variations in attitude, thus raising performance and safety standards even further. This system, together with Ducati Traction Control (DTC), Riding Modes, Bosch Cornering ABS , Cruise Control and the innovative Ducati Power Launch (DPL) make the XDiavel a technological gem offering high performance and, above all, safety.

Available also as an S version, the XDiavel features a black-only colour scheme (on the S version the matt black becomes gloss).

The bike also has the innovative DRL (Daytime Running Light) at the front, forks with DLC coating, Brembo M50 front brake callipers, a special seat and parts with machine-finished highlights. These include eye-catching alloy wheels and aluminium engine belt covers, given even greater allure thanks to the gloss black paintwork.

2016 Ducati XDiavel - http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $19995 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $21495 CAD

Type Ducati Testastretta DVT (Desmodromic Variable Timing), L-Twin, 4 Desmodromically actuated valves per cylinder, Dual spark, Liquid cooled
Displacement 1.262 cc (77,0 cu in)
Bore x Stroke 106 x 71,5 [mm] (4,17 x 2,81 [in])
Compression Ratio 13:01
Power 156 hp (114,7 kW) @ 9500 rpm
Torque 95,0 lb-ft (128,9 Nm) @ 5000 rpm
Fuel injection Bosch fuel injection system, Full ride-by-wire system, Øeq 56 oval throttle bodies
Exhaust Stainless steel exhaust and muffler with dual oval exits, Catalytic converter and 2 lambda probes
Emissions EURO 4
Gearbox 6 speeds
Ratio 1=37/15 2=30/17 3=27/20 4=24/22 5=23/24 6=22/25
Primary drive Straight cut gears, Ratio 1,84:1
Final drive Belt, Front sprocket Z28, Rear sprocket Z80
Clutch Slipper and self-servo wet multiplate clutch with hydraulic control
Frame Tubular steel trellis frame
Wheelbase 1.615 mm (63,58 in)
Rake 30°
Trail 130 mm (5,12 in)
Front suspension Adjustable Ø 50 mm (Ø 1,97 in) usd fork
Front wheel travel 120 mm (4.72 in)
Front wheel Light alloy, Cast, 3,5"x17"
Front tyre Pirelli Diablo Rosso II, 120/70 ZR17
Rear suspension Single shock absorber, Adjustable preload and rebound, Remote reservoir, Single sided cast/trellis frame swingarm
Rear wheel travel 110 mm (4.33 in)
Rear wheel Light alloy, Cast, 8,00" x 17"
Rear tyre Pirelli Diablo Rosso II 240/45 ZR17
Front brake 2 x 320 mm (12,60 in) semifloating discs, Radial Brembo monobloc 4-piston M4-32 callipers and radial master cylinder, Bosch cornering ABS as standard equipment
Rear brake 265 mm (10,43 in) disc, 2-piston floating calliper, Bosch cornering ABS as standard equipment
Fuel tank capacity 18 l (4,75 US gal)
Dry weight 220 kg (485 lb)
*Wet weight 247 kg (545 lb)
Seat height 755 mm (29,72 in)
Instrumentation 3,5" TFT colour display and dedicated warning light display
Ducati electronics Riding modes, Ducati Safety Pack (Bosch cornering ABS + DTC), DPL (Ducati Power Launch), RbW, Cruise control, Hands-free
Warranty 24 months
Mainteinance service intervals 15.000 km (9000 mi)/12 months
Valve clearance check 30.000 km (18000 mi)
Versions Dual seat
Additional equipment Full-led lighting**, Backlit handlebar switches
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week: 2016 Ducati XDiavel - Vote Now

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

This week's Cool Wall bike has been brought to you by our community member:

faded sun

Thanks so much!! :revv:

- Anyone can suggest a bike for the Cool Wall by making said suggestion right here: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=40774

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#3 Unread post by montanalifter »

The bike is really good looking with great power. My problem with this kind of bike is it has no storage area. I need storage, even if you go to the store to pick up a sack of groceries. On my Ninja I have a givi trunk, no it does not look good on the ninja it looks much better without it but sometimes I need function over form. I want an extra jacket, gloves, rain gear, tire plug kit. I drive a car only when I have to, i.e. ice on the ground. I like the idea of being able to jump on a motorcycle and go cross country with it if you need to and I think that would be very hard on this bike. Sure is a great looking bike though. Gave it a cool.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#4 Unread post by dr_bar »

I can't give this bike an awesome, because it looks like Ducati is just trying too hard. I'd go with cool, but then when I look at it, it doesn't even look like a cruiser to me. The best I can do is uncool
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Might shock a few, but I voted Fail.

I had the opportunity to see and sit on the Ducati XDiavel at the show just 2 weeks ago and it's incredibly uncomfortable. I have no idea where they moddled their seat, handlebar and footpeg positions from... maybe a crab? The only other bike at the show that was less comfortable than the XDiavel was, ironically, the XDiavelS!

That said, I would think I really couldn't fail a bike because it didn't fit me...at all; not even close; ever for a hand grenade or a moon landing.

Ok, maybe I can, but I bet you could tell an XDiavel rider...
Rooster Marks up the jacket
Rooster Marks up the jacket
Roostermarks.jpg (20.61 KiB) Viewed 16615 times
That would be rooster marks up the jacket thanks to the cost cutting at Ducati for not equipping something called a rear fender and instead installing a license plate sized wanna-be. :laughing:

On the + side, lovely engine though and I do love the longer mainteinance and valve clearance check intervals as well.

Mike

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#6 Unread post by faded sun »

I have to join Mike and vote fail. I suggested this bike because I can't help but admire the nerve of the Italian designers who put together a monster like this and call it a cruiser.

Not sure what LOL translates into in Italian, but this definitely qualifies.

On the seat, the one pictured does certainly look challenging for anyone with male genitalia, but there are apparently 5 seat options; perhaps there is a comfortable one in there somewhere. My problem with it would be nowhere to put the babe. No matter how much fun a day of cruising is, it is more fun if the woman you love is there at the end of it.
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#7 Unread post by Hanson »

>>> 2015 Ducati Diavel

Gone are the most beautifully curved exhaust pipes in recent motorcycle history.

--

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2016 Ducati XDiavel - Coolness Factor = 59.8%
Featured: January 22nd - January 29th 2016
Most popular vote category: Awesome

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=52551
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... Diavel.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2016 Ducati XDiavel is:

Awesome (3 points) 41% [ 12 ]
Cool (2 points) 17% [ 5 ]
Uncool (1 point) 21% [ 6 ]
Fail (0 point) 21% [ 6 ]

Total votes: 29

= a Coolwall Factor of 59.8%

Notes: Is it a cruiser? Is it a monster? Is it both? The new XDiavel has so many facets, both good, bad and the ugly, that there are parts that will appeal to some, none or many. It's sorta the Christmas Fruit Cake of bikes, you'll like something in it, but it may not be your first choice of dessert. (Did I just call a bike a Christmas fruit cake...well, that's a first! lol).

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike for 2016 is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#9 Unread post by faded sun »

Hanson wrote:Image
>>> 2015 Ducati Diavel

Gone are the most beautifully curved exhaust pipes in recent motorcycle history.

--

Safe Travels,
Richard
I see what you mean. Totally. Looks like this one wouldn't suffer from the rooster tail problem either. Is it just the angle of that picture of the 2016 that makes the swingarm look so much longer?
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Re: 2016 Ducati XDiavel - Coolness Factor = 59.8%

#10 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

At first I thought this bike was fairly meh, but now that Hanson posted the old Diavel, I do think the new one looks much better; the deletion of those weird plasticky shrouds on the old DIavel exposes more of the frame and fork of the newer bike, and makes it look more "normal" (well, relatively). Although I agree, the older pipe and header design looked way better.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."