Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Re: This Week: 2017 Can-Am Spyder F3-S Daytona 500 - VOTE NOW

#11 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I'm curious if these things sell a lot in places where you can filter/lane split (incidentally, I live in a country where you can). In states where you can't, there's arguably no disadvantage to using a Can-Am compared to a bike. In California (and most places around the world), having a Can Am means you'll be exposed to all the environmental discomforts of a motorcycle, without the advantage of being able to filter through traffic. That's why I don't really get these things. If I'm going to be stuck in traffic, I'd rather be in a Miata where you can raise the roof and turn on the aircon.

Edited for clarity.
Last edited by Grey Thumper on Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#12 Unread post by Gummiente »

Grey Thumper wrote:I'm curious if these things sell a lot in places where you can filter/lane split
I've been trying to find sales number breakdowns and customer demographics for these things, but all I've been able to determine so far is that they sell an average of around 12,500 per year with the majority (about 80%) going to the US market. The 100,00th Spyder was sold last year to a firefighter in Missouri.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#13 Unread post by ceemes »

jstark47 wrote:No vote, not a motorcycle. Interesting machines in their own right, but not motorcycles in my book.

Would I buy one? Who knows, in 10 or 15 years if balance and leg strength become problems for me, a Spyder might be the best motorcycle surrogate. Or maybe a regular bike with a hack. Who knows, I'm 60 now, I might be ready to give up open air vehicles by then.
Isn't amazing and somewhat depressing on how fast we are aging? I was in my mid-forties when I joined this website, now I am on the wrong side of 50........and even if I couldn't ride a proper motorbicycle, there is no way in hell I would be seen dead on one of these abominations.
Always ask why.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#14 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

ceemes wrote:Isn't amazing and somewhat depressing on how fast we are aging? I was in my mid-forties when I joined this website, now I am on the wrong side of 50........and even if I couldn't ride a proper motorbicycle, there is no way in hell I would be seen dead on one of these abominations.
Same here. I'm trying to understand why I can't stand these things. Maybe it's the purpose-built nature of them as three wheelers? I feel the same way about trikes. Hacks on the other hand, are cool. They're just motorcycles with something bolted on. I'd rather be on a Ural than one of these Can Ams, even though the Can Am will outperform the Ural in every way except for off-pavement.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#15 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I went with Cool.

Really, I am honestly on the fence with the Can-Am Spyders, I don't hate them, but my heart sure doesn't skip a beat when I see one either. They are unique for sure and that would add to the experience of riding and owning one too. 12,000 per year sold? That's quite a lot and I am seeing them more on the road as well. Like Gummiente mentioned, when they first came out I was surprised they were developed and with (still) a sense of disbelief, they are still around! Maybe it will be a "millennium" thing like air Jordans or Crystal Pepsi or something of things to come... maybe they will replace 2 wheelers as it would be easier for a Spyder to go FULL ELECTRIC vs a 2-wheeler...

The future or the past? I donno, but I do like the styling of the F3-S Daytona 500 and if I did end up renting one, it would be the one I'd ask for.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

ceemes wrote:Shoot it, shoot it now and bury it in some shallow grave in a deep and dark forest..............

WTF Mike, releasing this unholy abomination upon us on Canada Day? Why not just get Justin f'ing Bieber to sing "Oh Canada" on top the damned thing, and really bring shame to Canada........
Sorry about that. I didn't even think about the Beibs (Beebs? Biebs?). LOL!! :laughing:

Here you go:
Brazen: Justin Bieber pictured in Los Angeles on Thursday on a three-wheeled BRP

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Can-Am Spyder F3-S Daytona 500 - Coolness Factor = 38.6%
Featured: July 1st - July 8th, 2016
Most popular vote category: Cool

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=53271
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... na-500.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2017 Can-Am Spyder F3-S Daytona 500 is:

Awesome (3 points) 5% 5% [ 1 ]
Cool (2 points) 42% 42% [ 8 ]
Uncool (1 point) 16% 16% [ 3 ]
Fail (0 point) 37% 37% [ 7 ]

Total votes: 19

= a Coolwall Factor of 38.6%

Notes: 12,500 sold per year. I guess they are not going away anytime soon and many would be cheering that fact facing others who would be boo'ing it as well. The 2017 Can-Am Spyder F3-S Daytona 500 opens up the market further to the "youthful" (riding?) public and to more sales. Acceptance in the motorcycle community is mixed and it makes me wonder how the big automotive forums would vote on a Can-Am Spyder and the discussions they would have about it! Will the Spyder be around in 15 years? Will it replace 2-wheelers as the age of 100% electric flows upon us?

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike for 2016 is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#18 Unread post by Gummiente »

totalmotorcycle wrote:Here you go:
Brazen: Justin Bieber pictured in Los Angeles on Thursday on a three-wheeled BRP

Mike
He didn't mean it as a challenge, boss.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Gummiente wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:Here you go:

Mike
He didn't mean it as a challenge, boss.
LOL, oh, I know... I just thought I'd go "above and beyond" with that one. :laughing:

Mike