You may select 1 option

View results

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: This Week: 2016 Yamaha XSR900 - VOTE NOW

#11 Unread post by ceemes »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
High_Side wrote:
ceemes wrote:Not bad, wonder where they dug up that old school helmet from.
They seem to be everywhere these days. Blackfoot Cycle here in Calgary has an entire section for hipster type gear but I barely felt cool enough to be in there. The older and more beat up the gear looks, the more that they charge for it ......hehe
Maybe I can sell them my 16 year old Joe Rocket Ballistic 1.0 jacket! LOL

"Famous and it's been ridden around the world!"

Starting price... $10. :)

Mike
Hell, I'd buy it from you and then put it up on ebay for ten times the price.............some hipster bikers will pay for it.......
Always ask why.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#12 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Helmet looks like a biltwell gringo.

http://youtu.be/PumGUrBPMGc

That being said this bike is cool. Love the look of it.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#13 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

ceemes wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:
High_Side wrote:
They seem to be everywhere these days. Blackfoot Cycle here in Calgary has an entire section for hipster type gear but I barely felt cool enough to be in there. The older and more beat up the gear looks, the more that they charge for it ......hehe

Mike
Hell, I'd buy it from you and then put it up on ebay for ten times the price.............some hipster bikers will pay for it.......

Sweet! It even has quite a lot of sun fading on the shoulders, and some road rash on the butt from my crash in '01 too (that might bring an extra dollar or two). :revv:

What's old is new again!

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#14 Unread post by ceemes »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
ceemes wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:
High_Side wrote:

Mike
Sweet! It even has quite a lot of sun fading on the shoulders, and some road rash on the butt from my crash in '01 too (that might bring an extra dollar or two). :revv:

What's old is new again!

Mike
Ya know, just for the hell of it and as an experiment, you should put them up on ebay advertised as "Retro Riding Gear" at some stupid starting price and see what happens, then let us know the results. :D
Always ask why.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I went with: Cool

Yup, I know, you bet I was going to vote Awesome, but while I do think parts of it is awesome (tank/seat/wheels/engine), there are other parts/designs of the bike that haven't grown on me just yet (headlight/gauge/tail lights/horn placement) that would be harder to live with. The XSR700 I sat on at the Calgary motorcycle show this year was comfortable and a lot higher seat height than I anticipated for a standard. It feels more of a dual-sport standard height than a normal seat height, even though stats say it's "Seat Height 32.7 in". Great bike though, love the idea of putting in a triple cylinder engine in there over a parallel twin. :revv:

Also I really like the retro paint job, sad it's only for this year (from what I've read) though. The guage/clock is what really gets me, it's off-set and doesn't really look retro or even nice. Couldn't they have used a twin clock setup or even a normal analog clock?

I like what Grey Thumper said "it's clearly a modern bike, but with classic cues, shapes, and proportions... there are a lot of clunky details that show this wasn't originally intended to be retro, and is a modified existing design."

Reminds me a lot of what we saw in the late 80's and 90s with standards turning into sportbikes as sportbikes were the "thing" at the time and then sportbikes turning into cruisers! It was all a bit crazy then... but we have it today with Yamaha and the FZ-09 and FZ-07 engines and Kawasaki with the 650cc engine in the Ninja to the Vulcan, much like they did with the 500cc version.

Still, the XSR900 is a bike I'd be happy to own (with some more retro modifications) in Yamaha yellow, and a bike I'd gravitate towards at a bike night, and for that, it's a solid cool for me. :revv:

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Coolness Factor = 71.1%
Featured: August 19th - August 26th, 2016
Most popular vote category: Cool

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=53495
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... XSR900.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2016 Yamaha XSR900 is:

Awesome (3 points) 30% [ 9 ]
Cool (2 points) 57% [ 17 ]
Uncool (1 point) 10% [ 3 ]
Fail (0 point) 3% [ 1 ]

Total votes: 30

= a Coolwall Factor of 71.1%

Notes: If I can sum-up in two words what the Total Motorcycle community thinks of the new Yamaha XSR900 modern-retro bike, it would be "Yes, please!". 87% of members say the bike is at least Cool if not awesome. Not a bad prediction at all for Yamaha's sales! People love the classic Yamaha yellow paint job as well. Personally, I wish they could do something about the awkward position and look/design of the gauge mostly. But then it would be more retro-modern-retro of a bike I guess! lol.

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike for 2016 is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!