Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS - Coolness Factor = 66.7%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... 00-ABS.htm

2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS on http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com

With ABS...

The Rebel 500 is a true triple threat: part impressive performance, part minimalist good looks and completely fun to ride. The first thing you’ll notice is its subtle, blacked-out looks. From the compact frame to its low-slung seat, it’s just cool. Once you get on, you’ll know immediately that this bike was meant to be ridden, thanks to an impressive lean angle, and a 471cc parallel-twin engine tuned for middle and upper-rpms. Ride it stock. Trick it out. Either way, this bike just feels right.

You don’t buy this bike. You make it yours.

Honda today introduced a pair of progressive customs that fuse tradition with groundbreaking new ideas and perspectives while providing ample scope for owner customization. Offering a fresh take on custom cool, the Rebel 500 and Rebel 300 mix old- and new-school style and are engaging and fun to ride, with an outlook geared toward firing the imagination of a younger generation of riders.

Development for the Rebel 500 and Rebel 300 began in the U.S., with the objective of referencing a timeless look while also introducing a forward-thinking, contemporary style all their own. Accessible, fun to ride and easy to live with, the models go their own way but are also blank canvases, ready for whatever their owners' imaginations have in store.

"For many riders who have grown up through the digital age, motorcycles represent a lifestyle and an attitude, a means of expressing their individuality," said Lee Edmunds, Manager of Motorcycle Marketing Communications at American Honda. "The machines that speak to these riders need to reflect this, to fit with their life while also offering the potential for further individualization. The Rebel 500 and Rebel 300 are simple and raw, offering cutting-edge style and a radical image while minimizing the barriers to riding. There's literally nothing else out there like them, and we're confident that both models will appeal to young riders who want to stand out and are open to new experiences."

Rebel 500 / Rebel 300
Simple and raw, Honda's new Rebel models are exercises in straightforward, minimalist design where every detail matters. Low, lean silhouettes are crowned by iconic fuel tanks, aggressively raked front ends and fat tires on large-diameter wheels, along with a stamped-steel rear fender and narrow frame body, resulting in stripped forms that express offbeat individuality from every angle. The evocative round, glass headlight sits up high in a die-cast aluminum mount, the speedometer is a compact dial with negative LCD display and blue backlight, and the ignition is housed below the left side of the fuel tank. Everything that can be is blacked out.

With a 471cc parallel twin, the Rebel 500 has strong bottom-end torque and a smooth, linear power delivery, while the Rebel 300 is powered by a peppy 286cc single cylinder engine. In both cases, the bikes' riding positions are relaxed and neutral, with arms gently outstretched and feet dropping straight down to the mid-mounted pegs. The versatile Rebels are fun to ride slow and fast, great for day trips, jaunts to the coffee shops or even sporty sessions on winding roads; low weights, slim frames and short seat heights equal agility at lower speeds, whereas good ground clearances allow surprisingly sporty lean angles. Both the Rebel 500 and Rebel 300 are available in standard and ABS versions.

Offering a fresh take on custom cool, the Rebel 500 and Rebel 300 mix old- and new-school style and are engaging and fun to ride, with an outlook geared toward firing the imagination of a younger generation of riders. Development for both models began in the U.S., with the objective of referencing a timeless look while also introducing a forward-thinking, contemporary style all their own. Both feature straightforward, minimalist designs with low, lean bobber silhouettes, and are fun to ride slow and fast—great for day trips, jaunts to the coffee shops or even sporty sessions on winding roads. Accessible, fun to ride and easy to live with, the models go their own way but are also blank canvases, ready for whatever their owners' imaginations have in store.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS - http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: Pricing not released yet in USD
Canada MSRP Price: Pricing not released yet in CDN

" ENGINE
Engine Type
471cc liquid-cooled parallel-twin four-stroke
Bore And Stroke
67mm x 66.8mm
Induction
PGM-FI
Ignition
Full transistorized ignition
Compression Ratio
10.7:1
Valve Train
DOHC; 4 valves per cylinder
" DRIVE TRAIN
Transmission
Six-Speed
Final Drive
O-ring-sealed chain
" CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES
Front Suspension
41mm fork; 4.8 inches travel
Rear Suspension
Dual shocks with 3.8 inches travel
Front Brake
Hydraulic disc
Rear Brake
Hydraulic disc
Front Tire
130/90-16
Rear Tire
150/80-16
" DIMENSIONS
Rake
28°0' (Caster Angle)
Trail
110mm (4.3 inches)
Wheelbase
58.7 inches
Seat Height
27.2 inches
Curb Weight
414 pounds (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuel-ready to ride)
Fuel Capacity
2.96 gallons
" OTHER
Model ID
CMX500A
Emissions
Meets current EPA standards. California version meets current CARB standards and may differ slightly due to emissions equipment.
Available Colors
Black

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... 00-ABS.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week: 2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS - VOTE NOW

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

With our 2017 Honda Motorcycle Guide http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... /Honda.htm now complete and we needed a cruiser this week to space things out a bit, I thought, hey, let's do the new 2017 Honda Rebel 500!

Check out the model page for it as I have some really great pre-production drawings of the bike (both ABS and non-ABS pages)

Enjoy,

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

...Sorry I just have to say it:

"In the mid-night hour, she cried, more, more more. With a Rebel 500 yell..."

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#4 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I loved the original Rebel. It's great that Honda finally updated it, but that chassis looks really weird. It's like the bars are as high as mini apes, relative to the seat height. The shape and angle of the tank are all wonky as a result. Bizarre.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Grey Thumper wrote:I loved the original Rebel. It's great that Honda finally updated it, but that chassis looks really weird. It's like the bars are as high as mini apes, relative to the seat height. The shape and angle of the tank are all wonky as a result. Bizarre.
Ya, I know what you mean, I have a soft spot for the Rebel 250 as well and was glad to see they updated it to a 300 and a 500... it is a bizarre design though like you said, but then I thought the Yamaha Bolt was bizarre too when it first came out... Maybe it's something we need to get used to? I donno..

Mike

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#6 Unread post by ceemes »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
Grey Thumper wrote:I loved the original Rebel. It's great that Honda finally updated it, but that chassis looks really weird. It's like the bars are as high as mini apes, relative to the seat height. The shape and angle of the tank are all wonky as a result. Bizarre.
Ya, I know what you mean, I have a soft spot for the Rebel 250 as well and was glad to see they updated it to a 300 and a 500... it is a bizarre design though like you said, but then I thought the Yamaha Bolt was bizarre too when it first came out... Maybe it's something we need to get used to? I donno..

Mike
You two are forgetting that when the original was designed and released, the cruiser style had yet to be set. Remember the original Shadows, had the same basic design cues as the Rebel 250 of that era, and those design cues came straight from the chopper style made famous in the movie, "Easy Rider".
Always ask why.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

ceemes wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:

Mike
You two are forgetting that when the original was designed and released, the cruiser style had yet to be set. Remember the original Shadows, had the same basic design cues as the Rebel 250 of that era, and those design cues came straight from the chopper style made famous in the movie, "Easy Rider".
Excellent points. Yes, back in 1985, the cruiser was really know as the "Custom", which really was a standard UJM with buckhorn bars, maybe some chrome and a stepped seat... Ugly as a pud' but they did set the cruiser up for the future...

I actually owned one of those customs as my first bike, the V30 Magna... buckhorn bars, stepped seat, bigass windscreen, shorty exhausts and all that jazz... I can't say time has been kind to its looks though... that was a 1/4 century ago, wow, where has time gone?

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Cool

I was going to go with Awesome, but I'm a little depressed from my post above after realizing it's been 25 years since I bought my first motorcycle. Gawd. I even had a Bieffe helmet as well... while I don't have a photo of that day, I do have a photo of my original riding gear... complete with "motorcycle style jean jacket" ... aka from Sears.

Wow, did I just go off into a rabbit hole there or what?!? Sorry, back to the 2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS.

I really like the Rebel line, it's not meant to be fast or light or record setting in any way, it's just meant to be COOL. And that's really one of the main criteria new riders (and in fact, all of us) look for, a COOL ride. Plus 500cc will keep you interested for a long time.

Mike

FirstPhoto1.jpg
FirstPhoto1.jpg (31.97 KiB) Viewed 17871 times

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS - Coolness Factor = 66.7%
Featured: December 16th - December 23rd, 2016
Most popular vote category: Cool

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=53992
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... 00-ABS.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS is:

Awesome (3 points) 27% [ 6 ]
Cool (2 points) 50% [ 11 ]
Uncool (1 point) 18% [ 4 ]
Fail (0 point) 5% [ 1 ]

Total votes: 22

= a Coolwall Factor of 66.7%

Notes: The new 2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS sets out to be what it was made to be. Cool for new(er) riders. And in that category, it is a success. What more could you ask of it?

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike for 2016 is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#10 Unread post by High_Side »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
Excellent points. Yes, back in 1985, the cruiser was really know as the "Custom", which really was a standard UJM with buckhorn bars, maybe some chrome and a stepped seat... Ugly as a pud' but they did set the cruiser up for the future...

I actually owned one of those customs as my first bike, the V30 Magna... buckhorn bars, stepped seat, bigass windscreen, shorty exhausts and all that jazz... I can't say time has been kind to its looks though... that was a 1/4 century ago, wow, where has time gone?

Mike
That's not a bad looking bike. The rear fender makes it look much better than the original '85 V45. The '87 V45 though is still something cool IMO.