My Moto Guzzi V7. Does it smell like pizza or is it just me?

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: My Moto Guzzi V7. Does it smell like pizza or is it just me?

#271 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

1st day trip of Spring in Ontario...

From Waterloo to Goderich, Ontario... about 300km's, 3-4 hours.

Goderich, ON is on Lake Huron... 21°C and cloud today, EXECPT, when I got into Goderrich, when it dropped to 14°C and landed in two thunderstorms!! Some of the scenery actually looks like Alberta! (Google: 1 Cove Rd, Goderich, ON N7A 4J8 if you are curious). Really nice ride, a bit straight with hills, but lots of great little towns enroute.

Oh, and don't get me started on ALL THE BLOODY BUGS! After an hour of riding, me and my bike were plastered in them. (see helmet photo) I couldn't see out of the visor much...

Photos...

Protein
DSC03058.jpg
Alberta II?
DSC03057.jpg
The beach at Port Heron
DSC03051.jpg
Sifto Salt Terminal at Port Heron
DSC03048.jpg
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#272 Unread post by High_Side »

The Guzzi is looking great Mike. I'm not jealous of all the bugs though - wow!

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#273 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

High_Side wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:57 am The Guzzi is looking great Mike. I'm not jealous of all the bugs though - wow!
Thanks man!

Trying to take good care of the Guzzi for sure. Back in Alberta, the underground parking had a hose/wash hookup area, not so much luck here though. Really like the custom belly pan I painted and put on, gives it a little more sporty fun look.

Ya, and you know how much I LOVE riding in bugs. Hopefully it was just because it was the first "warm" day of spring there and not an indication of Ontario riding. I can't make fun of riding through the bugs in the Alberta mountains now...lol.

Oh well, with all that extra protein I didn't need to stop for lunch! :lol:

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#274 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Bugs. I heard they are even bigger in Ontario than here. :)

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#275 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Depends where in Ontario you are I'm sure. They're quite impressive this far north compared to southern bugs lol
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#276 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Small bugs here in Sothern Ontario, but lots of them for sure. In Alberta I got a lot of bee and hornet splats. In Houston not many bugs flying around but definitely big horary bugs in your home... 3-4" flying cockroaches that hiss at you! Gawd.

Mike

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#277 Unread post by NorthernPete »

How's the southern Ontario treating you?
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Anthony Fodero
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 35
My Motorcycle: 1978 bmw R100/7, 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Race

#278 Unread post by Anthony Fodero »

Ok, so this is years later, but I am having related problems so bear with me. 2014 V 7 racer, love it. But in the 6000 miles that I’ve had this bike, I’ve gone through 2 dipsticks. The first one I could not remove easily, stupidly used a pair of pliers and shreaded the cheap plastic dipstick. My bad. Ordered a new one. Just yesterday, while doing an oil change, I tightened down the 2nd dipstick using a special splined tool (MPH CYCLES) and the bloody thing just broke apart. I’m NOT over doing the tightening here, that is not the issue. I too had a similar problem to the one mentioned in this discussion, looked down to see the dipstick rattling around and oil flying out of the fill plug at a frightening rate. Caught it in time, added more oil, tightened it down, no damage. So, if you don’t tighten it down enough, it comes loose, but just a bit to much and it blows apart. Not good, especially since this is a regularly checked item. Does anyone have any insight or experience with an aftermarket dipstick that they would recommend? Thanks.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#279 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Send your question to Mike. totalmotorcycle. He can probably answer.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#280 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Anthony Fodero wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:19 pm Ok, so this is years later, but I am having related problems so bear with me. 2014 V 7 racer, love it. But in the 6000 miles that I’ve had this bike, I’ve gone through 2 dipsticks. The first one I could not remove easily, stupidly used a pair of pliers and shreaded the cheap plastic dipstick. My bad. Ordered a new one. Just yesterday, while doing an oil change, I tightened down the 2nd dipstick using a special splined tool (MPH CYCLES) and the bloody thing just broke apart. I’m NOT over doing the tightening here, that is not the issue. I too had a similar problem to the one mentioned in this discussion, looked down to see the dipstick rattling around and oil flying out of the fill plug at a frightening rate. Caught it in time, added more oil, tightened it down, no damage. So, if you don’t tighten it down enough, it comes loose, but just a bit to much and it blows apart. Not good, especially since this is a regularly checked item. Does anyone have any insight or experience with an aftermarket dipstick that they would recommend? Thanks.
Thanks for asking. Sorry, it took me a day to find where you question was posted!

I had the dipstick issue as well. What I did to solve it was a very simple thing, REPLACE the rubber o-ring, the factory o-ring gets pinched/bunged up somehow and getting a new one worked like a charm! 10 cent fix.

To tighten it, I use a rag over the plastic dipstick top, screw it in by hand as tight as I can, then use vice grips (lightly) to go another 1/16th of a turn. Done and it has never fallen/loosened again in the 7 years I've owned the bike.

Hope that helps. :)

Mike