1800 VTX/1800 M 109 R

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by Sev »

I think it's incredibly stupid that you guys are argueing over two bikes you haven't ridden...
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#12 Unread post by ZooTech »

grampi wrote: I guess you'd have to be into that retro look to get into the new Yamahas? I prefer the sportier look as in the Mean Streak, VTX C, and the 109.
Yeah, I like it to some degree, but I'm not at that point in my life yet where I want a full-blown cruiser. Once I get there, I imagine myself on a Kawasaki 1600 Drifter. For now I have a good-handling bike that still fits in with the folks I ride with.
Sevulturus wrote:I think it's incredibly stupid that you guys are argueing over two bikes you haven't ridden...
I've sat on everything 'cept the M109R, and have read just about every review out there for the 2000, VTX, and Stars. Can Grampi and I enjoy an innocent and non-heated discussion or do we need to run it by you first?

And, for the record, there's not a dealership in Ohio that'll let you test ride a motorcycle. They didn't even install the battery and oil in my bike until they had the cashier's check in hand. Honda offers test rides during Honda Homecoming, but last year they had about a dozen scooters out and maybe four real bikes. I have to rely very heavily on magazine reviews, owner impressions, and word of mouth to know what I'm getting into. Everything I've heard and read about the VTX1800 says it's unnecessarily overweight, especially in light of the competition. I sat on a 2000 and VTX1800 in the same showroom and found the 2000 better balanced.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#13 Unread post by Sev »

Magazines like newspapers are horribly biased when it comes to reviews. So going by them alone isn't reason enough to recomend one of the other, but you knew that.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

grampi
Veteran
Veteran

#14 Unread post by grampi »

Sevulturus wrote:I think it's incredibly stupid that you guys are argueing over two bikes you haven't ridden...

Apparently you don't read very well. If you had you'd notice I've ridden both the VTX and the Vulcan.
Last edited by grampi on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grampi
Veteran
Veteran

#15 Unread post by grampi »

Sevulturus wrote:Magazines like newspapers are horribly biased when it comes to reviews. So going by them alone isn't reason enough to recomend one of the other, but you knew that.
Exactly, which is why I said you need to ride both bikes before making a judgment. My opinion of how these two bikes handle is the complete opposite of what some of the magazines have claimed.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#16 Unread post by ZooTech »

Usually Honda has magazine reviewers in their back pocket, so I take criticisms about their bikes very seriously. After reading THIS REVIEW I verified the weight criticism myself with a trip to the dealer. Since then, my bro-in-law managed to get a ride on an 1800C and he also verified the weight issue (said it felt heavier than his Harley full dresser) and also verified the criticism of the brakes which turned him off from the bike all together. He is now considering the Vulcan 2000 and the M109R.

grampi
Veteran
Veteran

#17 Unread post by grampi »

ZooTech wrote:Usually Honda has magazine reviewers in their back pocket, so I take criticisms about their bikes very seriously. After reading THIS REVIEW I verified the weight criticism myself with a trip to the dealer. Since then, my bro-in-law managed to get a ride on an 1800C and he also verified the weight issue (said it felt heavier than his Harley full dresser) and also verified the criticism of the brakes which turned him off from the bike all together. He is now considering the Vulcan 2000 and the M109R.
I can't speak for the 1800R as I haven't ridden that particular model. It may be that the R feels heavier and doesn't handle as well as the Vulcan. I have ridden the C model and to me it felt lighter and handled better than the Vulcan. But like I said, I'm not interested in the retro sytled bikes, so I didn't bother riding the R.

I am curious as to why I can't find a single magazine with a test of the 109. I must have thumbed through 15 different MC mags today and other than brief mentions of the bike, nothing. You'd think the mags would be dying to get their hands on one and Suzuki should more than glad to give them one to test!

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#18 Unread post by ZooTech »

grampi wrote:I am curious as to why I can't find a single magazine with a test of the 109. I must have thumbed through 15 different MC mags today and other than brief mentions of the bike, nothing. You'd think the mags would be dying to get their hands on one and Suzuki should more than glad to give them one to test!
I have a mag around here somewhere with a review, but it was a prototype. I'll try to find it later (leaving for the movies soon). They gave it a glowing review.

grampi
Veteran
Veteran

#19 Unread post by grampi »

ZooTech wrote:
grampi wrote:I am curious as to why I can't find a single magazine with a test of the 109. I must have thumbed through 15 different MC mags today and other than brief mentions of the bike, nothing. You'd think the mags would be dying to get their hands on one and Suzuki should more than glad to give them one to test!
I have a mag around here somewhere with a review, but it was a prototype. I'll try to find it later (leaving for the movies soon). They gave it a glowing review.
Cool! I'm curious to see the performance figures for the 109.

grampi
Veteran
Veteran

#20 Unread post by grampi »

You would think one of the mags would have tested a production model by now. They're due to start hitting the showrooms in early Feb. The mags are usually given one to test before they're available to the public as this usually serves as an initial sales booster.