How many drops/crashes while learning?

shawnhpi
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#21 Unread post by shawnhpi »

I am most def going t o start looking into this MSF courses now.

even with all the riding I do I still find my self riding around in a parking lot or side roads for practice..
Word

2006 Honda CiViC si FBP #1388
2004 Kawa SXr 800 piped
2004 Kawa SXr 800 not even broken in yet!
2002 Honda CBR 600F4i

My life... Its above me.

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#22 Unread post by cb360 »

Wow - you're shocked at the $100 price tag in WA for the class - that's nothing... the unsubsidized state class that you can get into with no wait costs $275!
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

kyosashadow
Rookie
Rookie

#23 Unread post by kyosashadow »

In Louisiana the cost of the course is $25, but it's $100 if you rent a bike. Most of these courses won't let you bring your own bike if it's over 250 cc's, so most folks suck up the $100 cost and pay the full price.

Better to drop someone elses's bike instead of your own. :mrgreen:

Now the Harley Davidson course is $250, but that's cause they train you on 500cc Buells. That's probably a universal thing with Harley places around the US.

I'm taking mine the first weekend of June. Until then, I'm stuck riding around in front of my house in my neighborhood (where I know everyone and everyone knows I'm a new biker).

Wayne
2001 Honda Shadow VLX

TheReaper
Elite
Elite

#24 Unread post by TheReaper »

I'm in MN and while I haven't checked out the MSF schedule yet I've heard it backs up quiet a ways as well. Just picked my bike up this afternoon and the dealership gave me some infor for another outfit that teaches the same classes. It's a competitor to the MSF and they have openings as early as next week. Maybe there's another company out where you're at that can get you in sooner.

I also picked up proficient motorcycling, not very far into it but already I can tell it's a great read.

Finally, get the gear. I dropped over a grand on gear and after the 11 miles I put on today (it was raining, bummer) I'm glad I bought all the gear I did. Especially not cheaping out on the helmet. Brand new Arai, lovin it.

Gilfy650a
Elite
Elite
Location: Northern Kentucky, "Like the rest of KY only better"

#25 Unread post by Gilfy650a »

Telesque wrote:I've put about a thousand miles on my first bike, and I want to take the MSF class. :D

Too bad I'm so broke. :cry: (Well, ok, so.. not broke enough to have gone out and bought a bike...)
For serious, i've put around 1800 miles on mine and i Really want to take the class. i'll have to schedule it in somewhere along the line...

Oh and to get back on topic...

i have let the bike tip over when stopped like 3 maybe 4 times, i was letting my friend practice clutching and slow speed manuevers in a parking lot and he let it fall over stationary so thats 4-5 times. :laughing:
Luckily its a naked standard "beater" bike and the only thing that touches the ground when its on its side is the handlebars and brake/clutch levers.

Crashwise, i lowsided it on an expressway onramp last year ( new rear tire and too much throttle) :frusty:
Currently Bikeless

SUPER AWESOME VILLAINS FOREVER!!

Its settled Suzuki SV650 as next bike. :D

PurpleRose
Rookie
Rookie

training courses

#26 Unread post by PurpleRose »

The MSF course I took was Honda. We learned on Nighthawk 250. Very light weight bike to learn on. The class cost me $100.00 :D Normally it cost $180.00 but the particular class I took, they were training MSF trainers. We all pretty much had individual attention. Forty eyes watching our every move. But they were wonderful.

Honda has this wonderful training center here in Dallas, TX. They are also opening an ATV training course later this year.

The nice thing about taking the course is that they are the ones here in Texas that give you the driving portion for your license....so all I had to do is go take the written. Now I have my license.

Didn't keep me from crashing though :frusty:

Practice! Practice! Practice! :wink:

They also offer an advanced course. If your a honda club member, they will reimburse your $75.00 for class. You use your own bike in this class. You can never stop learning better skills when it comes to your life 8)

There are other classes they hold at high schools also that aren't honda. Same prices.

amstaffmom
Regular
Regular

#27 Unread post by amstaffmom »

wow, I feel lucky. My MSF course was free here in PA and they fill up fast. Now if I was still in MD I think they said it has gone up to 250.00 and fills very fast also.

I took the course back at the end of April. Bought my bike about two weeks ago. I live down and dead end road with a long drive way and have just been practicing there. Since the first time I was ever on a bike or used a clutch was in that class. I did try to take a turn too sharp and wasn't looking ahead like I was taught. Not to mention I didn keep steady throttle. Needless to say the bike stalled and I didn't drop it, I layed it down. I was more embarrased then anything because two young guys came running out to ask if I was ok. I did find out something, I can pick up the 350lbs by myself! lol! And I know what I did wrong.

Jean

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#28 Unread post by cb360 »

No drops yet and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Luckily I have a light bike. I have rode off with the kickstand down a couple times but i've been lucky enough to notice before it became a problem.
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

Telesque
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#29 Unread post by Telesque »

cb360 wrote:No drops yet and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Luckily I have a light bike. I have rode off with the kickstand down a couple times but i've been lucky enough to notice before it became a problem.
One of the nicer, modern commodities not available on older bikes, eh?

The kickstand on my bike is attached to a sort of kill switch. You can't have the kickstand out with the engine running at all unless you're in neutral.
-'95 Honda VT600CD / 'Shadow VLX Deluxe'
-'84 Ruestman WTF606

"[The four stroke] cycle is basically this -SUCK, SQUEEZE, BURN, and BLOW." -Dan's Motorcycle Repair Guide.
http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

Gilfy650a
Elite
Elite
Location: Northern Kentucky, "Like the rest of KY only better"

#30 Unread post by Gilfy650a »

Man kickstands suck, or maybe its my memory.... anyway i've taken off way too many times with my kickstand down only to find out when i start to take a left turn and it hits the road and snaps up to its correct postion.

Irksome is a good word to use describing that scenario. :roll:
Currently Bikeless

SUPER AWESOME VILLAINS FOREVER!!

Its settled Suzuki SV650 as next bike. :D