One month old!!!

sleepychicken
Rookie
Rookie

One month old!!!

#1 Unread post by sleepychicken »

Hey all. I'm new to the sport. My wife and I recently bought an '05 Kawasaki Ninja 250, and we're loving it so far. We're both 25 years old, pushing 26, and have been married for 3+ years. We live in Hattiesburg, MS, a small college town (Univ. of Southern Miss) in south MS. My wife graduated with a BS in Business Managment. I "took some time off" but can't seem to get back, 2 years and counting. :lol: The 250 will be my wifes bike. She loves it because it is light and short. She can flat-foot it at stops and push it around with ease. It is also currently serving as a begginer mount for me. I'm glad we got it too, because I can think of 4 or 5 instances where I would've dropped or laid it down had it been more powerful or heavier. There are probably just as many instances that I didn't even realize as well. :D So, I give the 250 Ninja my full endorsment as a first ride. I'd say it's just as fast as 80% of the cars on the road, and you won't accidentaly pop a wheelie with just a bonehead throttle input.

I have no previous riding experience. My wife grew up in a family of riders. She's had her license for quite a few years, but never owned a bike of her own. She took and passed her test about 5 years ago, and did it on one of those huge 1200cc cruisers, but, most of her time was as a passenger. So, she is almost as green as I am. A good friend of mine also purchased a bike when I did. He got a Kawa 125 Eliminator. Not much pep, but gets him back and forth to work and around town. And, like my 250, it's plenty light and fairly idiot proof as far as control and throttle inputs.

No, I haven't taken my MSF course, and no I didn't wait to ride until I took it. I would've liked to, but we kinda purchased the bike out of nowhere. We were planning on purchasing it in the fall, but we both recieved some raises and bonuses this winter. We're both signed up for a course in September. It was the earliest we could get in. I've been researching motorcycles for about two years, so I know the opinions on taking the MSF, and I've seen the stats on first year crashes for takers and non-takers, so I know the risks. I've read a ton of safety articles, Proficient Motorcycling, and a bunch of MSF literature. So, that's the best I can do for now.

As far a riding... I spent my first week in a local parking lot. I took my Prof Motorcycling book and my MSF drill booklet out there and practiced all the drills. I think I put 100+ miles on it just in this first week. Which is a lot for a parking lot. :wink:

After that I put around 400 miles on it on local rural backroads. Either following a seasoned biker, or riding close to home with someone waiting on me with a cel phone should I fall or not return home when I should.

I then went and got my license ( I had my permit way before I even bought a bike). Since then I've put another 500 or so miles on it. Usually on those same backroads, but I've also been through stop and go, red light-green light traffic, been on the highway with off and on ramps, and been on the interstate a few times. I've ridden at night once also.

None of it was terribly scary. I was as prepared as I could be I guess. I knew through reading how to approach turns, off-ramps, riding distance, intersections, traffic lights, ect... It's one thing to read it and another to do it, I know, but it really did help. Like the first time a semi went past me at 85 mph and the wind almost pushed me off the road. I had to lean it over like Rossi just to drive in a straight line, but I knew what to expect and that really helped. I doubt that wind gusts is something you experience in MSF, since it's mostly low speed drills from what I understand, so reading really helps.

So for those few that read this far, it's good to be here. Please don't crack down on me to hard for not taking the MSF first :oops: , and I look forward to being a member.

poppygene
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by poppygene »

Don't worry - we'll be easy on you, at least until the initiation ritual! :twisted:

JK. :wink: Hope you enjoy the site. Lots of good info here.

Glad you're doing some research, practice riding and so on. Seems you're using some reason here, so maybe you'll be OK. Keep it up. Just don't get over-confident, skip the MSF altogether and later cause one of your fellow riders to have to pull what's left of you out from under a Buick. We hate doing that.

One thing's for sure... you picked a great bike to learn on. Excellent choice. Don't forget to keep your Ninja in tip-top shape. Good bike maintenance is very important, too, so follow the recommendations in your owner's manual to the letter.

Good luck, and don't forget: Ride Safe!
Let me get this straight... it's one down and four up, right?

[img]http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7837/aread0hm.gif[/img]

Toyuzu
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 1981 Honda CX 500 Custom

#3 Unread post by Toyuzu »

Poppy, how many times do I have to tell you, if you tell all the new posters about our initiation ritual, they're going to be scared off! :laughing:

Just because we made you ride naked through down-town Redding is no reason to hold a grudge! :shock:
[i]Only the dead have seen the end of war. (Plato)[/i]

Toyuzu
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 1981 Honda CX 500 Custom

#4 Unread post by Toyuzu »

Sleepy,

It sounds like you're getting a good start and doing things the right way. Have fun with that little 250. Learn to ride the wheels off it, and you'll be much more prepared for a bigger bike when you're ready to move up. :D
[i]Only the dead have seen the end of war. (Plato)[/i]