Honda Sabre 1100 or Yamaha V-Star 1100

rhooton
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Honda Sabre 1100 or Yamaha V-Star 1100

#1 Unread post by rhooton »

Good Saturday evening from Arkansas. Down to the nuts and bolts, your opinions on which is the better bike of the two, the Honda Sabre 1100 or the Yamaha V-Star 1100. Performance, price, ride, etc. Looking for a new bike and just looking for input from you guys.

CORSCO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by CORSCO »

As far as performance and style and all that, that is something for you. Both are equally good bikes.
As far as a maintenance stand point:

XVS1100 V-STAR : The first service is the same as every service after it. It gets a valve adjustment EVERY service. It will cost just under $300 (3 hours) after 600 miles and every 4,000 after.

The VT1100 : This unit has hydraulic valves. No adjustment needed...ever. The first service is also basically the same as every service after. It will cost roughly $100 (1 hour) after 600 miles and every 4,000 after.

Both bikes are shaft driven 1100cc V-Twins. The Honda is geared taller than the Yamaha.
The VT is water-cooled whereas the XVS is air-cooled. No problems with either one.

Good luck with what you decide. Pick the one that calls out to you.
CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE REGULARLY!!!

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by MotoF150 »

I agree, both are almost perfect bikes, to me it comes down to looks and sound, the Yamaha has a deeper exhaust sound with a low ride Harley look, the Honda is smooth and quiet with it having a bigger bike look, plus its water cooled, to me thats a big plus, I would buy the one that fits me better.
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by canuckerjay »

I've read so many posts with people between the two. I was between the two, and chose the Star. Still, I've got no illusions:

I liked the look of the star better (the midnight black edition caught my eye). In addition, it was like 2000 cheaper than the Sabre. That's really what it came down to, because both are quality machines for the money.

Though I can't be specific about the Honda, I can say that Honda tends to be one of the most reliable engines on the road.

Things to be aware of with the Star:

The seat needs to be changed. Never met anyone happy with the stock seat.

So you know, here's the power with certain mods:

Stock: 50-52Hp

With Pod kit and Cobra 2-1 exhaust: 60-64 hp.

With the above and mid cams & ignition kit: 72-74 hp.

Right now, I've got a Hypercharger and HK Strippers. I haven't dynoed it yet, but it hums at 105km/hr, sings at 120, and screams at 140.

It does handle like a much lighter bike. Things are easy to tinker with, too. Though I'm only at 2600kms, most say the engine is pretty much bullet proof.

BTW, valves need to be adjusted every season or so. In addition, the pipes need to be removed to facilitate oil filter changes. MOst just buy a filter relocation kit for 200$.

both are nice rides. Buy what you're going to be happy with. I did, and I don't regret it.
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#5 Unread post by MotoF150 »

both are great bikes, its a tough choice, go with the one where the dealer treats you better then after you buy the bike ride ur new bike to the other dealer and tell him the reason you purchaced it is because you were treated better. Most dealers treat u like a POS cause they think ur a looker and ur never going to buy a bike. I have found out dealers are more friendlier in the early morning when they first open and they are mean and insulting late in the afternoon.

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by canuckerjay »

Oh, and I don't know if you care, but the Star is air-cooled, the Sabre is liquid cooled.
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#7 Unread post by MotoF150 »

The Yamaha is faster than the Honda, but I love the Honda cause its liquid cooled and no valve adjustment and its engine is smoooooth

Phat_J
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by Phat_J »

If I were you I would go on which one fits you better size and looks wise.
2006 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom