GS850 leaking gas

halberg54
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

GS850 leaking gas

#1 Unread post by halberg54 »

Help,

I have a 82 GS850, and only when running it leaks gas into the airbox from the hose coming from the engine to the airbox. This will occur after it has ran for 4-5 seconds. I can turn it off, and it will restart, and 4-5 seconds later it will start leaking. It will dump up to a 1/4 gallon after just one start. When I took off the plugs they were covered in gas and/or oil, and wet. When I changed the oil there was also fuel in the oil. I never do have a problem getting it started or idling. It runs very smooth and does have a little white smoke coming out of tailpipe. (possibly from sitting so long, about 3 years). Here is what I have done.

1. Put in new gas.
2. Removed and cleaned the carbs.(did not dip them)
3. Changed oil
4. changed spark plugs.
5. Put in new passage plugs in the carbs.(one was missing).
6. Caught it on fire, banged my head and repaired damage after fire.

When I got the bike(for a mere 150.00) I was told that the CDI was probably bad but he wasn't sure. He said it had never leaked gas in the past until after sitting so long. I guess I really need help here if anyone has any clue what is going on. After checking the petcock, it only seeps fuel when set on prime. on/reserve only work when cranking engine(vaccum driven). Also I need some new hoses for it between airbox and the carbs if anyone has any. I guess I was thinking if the spark isn't good enough then the cylinders would flood with fuel and be pushed out the the airbox but I am really not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If I can't do it, I find someone who can.

t_bonee
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#2 Unread post by t_bonee »

Maybe a full carb dip? Some gunk might still be stuck in there.

Here is an old thread that may or may not be of help. I gave me some ideas when I had a similar problem with my GS650L last spring.

http://totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=2336
A dog had his chain reduced one link at a time, every few days, until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of his freedom slowly, over time. Are we in this country becoming like the dog?

xsyamahadg
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 55
My Motorcycle: 2007 1100 V-Star Silverado

#3 Unread post by xsyamahadg »

You might also check the thread "Engine problem & leaking gas " on this same section...Trouble shooting. It might give you some suggestions. XS
1981 Yamaha XS650H
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado
1979 Honda PA 50
1970 Rupp mini
Stop in and visit my web site sometime:
http://rideohiomc1.proboards.com

colli8
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: Honda

Re: GS850 leaking gas

#4 Unread post by colli8 »

While you mentioned that the bike starts and idles fine, it's still worth checking the ignition system. Ensure that the spark plugs are in good condition and properly gapped. Weak spark or misfiring can contribute to incomplete combustion and fuel accumulation.

alicebobby
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: Triumph

#5 Unread post by alicebobby »

Even though you stated that the bike starts and idles without issue, it is still advisable to have the ignition system checked. Make that the spark plugs are correctly gapped and in good condition. Accumulation of fuel and incomplete combustion can be caused by a weak spark or misfiring. 

farare
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: honda

#6 Unread post by farare »

colli8 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:53 pm While you mentioned that the bike starts and idles fine, it's still worth checking the ignition system. Ensure that the spark plugs are in good condition and properly gapped. Weak spark or misfiring can contribute to incomplete combustion and fuel accumulation.
Experiencing a gas leak in your GS850 is not only frustrating but also poses significant safety risks. Riders have reported instances of fuel seepage leading to not only potential damage to the bike but also posing a serious fire hazard. This situation demands a thorough investigation and swift action to address the root causes of the problem.