05 honda Shadow blowing white smoke from exhaust

MrGompers
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

05 honda Shadow blowing white smoke from exhaust

#1 Unread post by MrGompers »

I'm looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. Since if I can't get it solved I'll probably have to go to a dealer and want to know what I'm talking about when I get there. I'll try to describe as best I can.

After the engine is warm when I rev white smoke comes out of the exhaust. It also happens when I decelerate downshifting thru the gears. Also, if I turn off the engine for 5 minutes after its warmed up.... then restart it I don't see any smoke. I do not see any smoke when the engine is cold. The exhaust smells rich to me.

Some things I have checked already. I changed the oil & filter it now has approx 500 miles on the oil. I used honda oil. Since the change I've been checking the oil every couple days. The level has remained constant & the oil looks clean. I have checked the anti freeze & the level is good & so is the color. I do not see any oil or antifreeze leaks anywhere.
I tried using a higher octane gasoline & a different brand of gasoline. That didn't help.

This bike has approx 3,700 miles and as far as I know it has never had any dealer service (not even the 600 mile break-in one) I have not noticed any decrease in performance and the bike rides just as good as when I first bought it. If it wasn't for a friend riding behind me the other day I never would've known about the smoke. And yes the choke is closed.

Could it just need a tune up ? The owners manual says change the plugs every 4,000 miles. I don't really believe that. I know guys with 3 yr old honda's who've never done any maintenance except change the oil and they don't have any problems.

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#2 Unread post by sharpmagna »

Oil leaks make blue smoke so that isn't it. Black smoke is running rich. White smoke is usually just condensation burning off, or possibley a coolant leak. On a new bike a coolant leak is not very common but could happen.

If your manual says to do some service at a certain interval, then do it. What those guys do with their bikes is their business. This is your bike, do what you think is right. BTW, my 20 year old Honda also says to change the plugs at 4k.
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

oldschoolorange
Legendary
Legendary

#3 Unread post by oldschoolorange »

white smoke could also be caused by leaking antifreeze if your bike is liquid cooled. Check your AF level. if it is not the problem then it is probably just moisture in your exhaust.
83 GS550, 70 Yamaha CT1 175

MrGompers
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by MrGompers »

I doubt its a coolant leak. The bike is nearly new and I'm not losing any coolant. I've been checking the oil & coolant level every couple days and I don't see any drops or changes in color.

My guess would be my riding style doesn't jive with the previous owners style and the bike wants a tune up to account for that change. I just think its strange that a honda would need a tune up this early in life (3,700 miles)

honda750
Elite
Elite

white smoke

#5 Unread post by honda750 »

white smoke usually means rings, but your bike's so new I don't think that is it.
Last edited by honda750 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrGompers
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by MrGompers »

If the bike had a blown head gasket. How much would that cost to repair at a honda dealer ? I would guess $400. Unfortunately, I don't have the tools or the time to take on a repair of that magnitude.

I think the bike is leaking coolant. Its not leaking on the ground, so it must be going into the engine. I still think its strange since a blown head gasket would blow white smoke all the time even at idle. I'm only seeing the smoke under hard acceleration or deceleration. Looks like I'll have to swing by the dealership and get an opinion.

Oh and of course the warranty expired in June 2006.

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#7 Unread post by BuzZz »

It could be the headgasket. At high RPM and loads, the pressure in the cylinders is at it's peak, and that be the only time it leaks. ....for now, it will get worse over time.

I don't know how much it would actually cost at the dealers, but I'd guess about the same as you. Sucks the warrenty bailed on you a month ago.... :?
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

MrGompers
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by MrGompers »

BuzZz wrote:It could be the headgasket. At high RPM and loads, the pressure in the cylinders is at it's peak, and that be the only time it leaks. ....for now, it will get worse over time.
Yea I could believe that it only smokes under heavy loads. I had a car with a blown head gasket once. That sucker blew white smoke at all speeds including when idling. That is my only frame of reference for head gasket leaks. Also, when the head gasket blew on that car I could smell anti freeze in the exhaust.

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#9 Unread post by BuzZz »

And what do you smell in the bike's exhaust?

Might have to get someone else to ride it while you follow along and sniff..... :lol:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

MrGompers
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#10 Unread post by MrGompers »

BuzZz wrote:And what do you smell in the bike's exhaust?

Might have to get someone else to ride it while you follow along and sniff..... :lol:
Thats a good idea. I don't smell any anti freeze in the bikes exhaust. If anything the exhaust smells rich to me.

Hopefully, I'm blowing this way out of proportion and its something simple. I just want to be armed with knowledge for when I go to the dealer. I only have expericence fixing cars not bikes.