Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Van Horebeek second in Italy and continues MXGP trophy trail

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Van Horebeek second in #Italy and continues #MXGP trophy trail

Three out of four for #Yamaha Factory Racing’s Jeremy Van Horebeek as the Belgian again coated his works YZ450FM with podium champagne in the FIM Motocross World Championship. The 2013 Motocross of Nations team winner ran to second position overall at a busy Arco di Trento circuit in northern Italy today for the Grand Prix of Trentino and the fourth round of eighteen in the MXGP fixture list.

As with Grands Prix in Qatar, Thailand and Brazil, Van Horebeek was one of the leading protagonists in the premier class and with third and second positions today in front of a 25,000 crowd at the first European stop on the ’14 calendar, JVH is third and now just 21 points from the top of the MXGP standings.

Arco presented the most arduous racing challenge of the season so far. The short and winding hard-pack layout was littered with bumps, ripples and unsettling lumps. Riders were constantly searching for traction and any small mistake cost valuable ground across a terrain that was tricky for passing and shrinking time differences to rivals.

Van Horebeek was fast and regular with his lap-times and might have been in contention for his first MXGP victory were it not for several errors. He briefly crashed out of third place in the first moto and had to regain two positions to again enter the top three. In sunny conditions later in the afternoon he was part of an exciting four rider scrap for the lead. There were heart-stopping moments as he stalled the bike at one point and also survived a scare with a fallen Evgeny Bobryshev (he actually struck the Russian on the back cresting a jump). Van Horebeek defied the adversity to keep strong and was less than a second away from moto winner Clement Desalle at the finish line.

Elsewhere in MXGP, David Philippaerts was sixteenth overall. The owner/racer from the DP19 Yamaha Racing squad suffered from a mistake with his tyre choice in the second moto and a crash meant he had to work hard to recover points at his home event. The former world champion went 11-18 on the day. Just behind the Italian in the general MXGP standings was Bike it Yamaha Cosworth’s Rui Gonçalves. The Portuguese was one of the many who suffered from finding an effective rhythm on the slippery dirt and his pace was not sufficient to be able to break into the top twelve. Rui is still recovering from a short pre-season of preparation but has shown encouraging signs of being able to increase his pace and presence over the past two events.

The Grand Prix of Bulgaria at the staple venue of Sevlievo will follow hard upon the Italian fare. Round five takes place on Easter weekend as the Yamaha teams travel east during the coming week.

Jeremy van Horebeek

“I am happy to be second but I made too many mistakes today. I crashed in the first moto and lost time. In the second moto I had a bad start and had to come back through the pack. At the end of the race I was almost on Clement’s rear wheel and if it had not been for those mistakes then maybe I could have gone for it [the win]. Anyway, I’m pleased to be back on the podium and the consistency shows that Thailand was not a lucky shot. It feels good to be making the same results in MXGP like I did in MX2. I know I am really fit and I gave my all today. I hope to continue like this and soon win a GP because we are getting close now.”

David Philippaerts
“It was a hard day because the track was so difficult and with so little grip. In the first moto I was riding OK but it was hard to pass. In the second moto I changed the tyre for hard-pack but it did not really work for the start. I lost traction in one corner and crashed. Now we have to focus for Bulgaria and the coming races. I’m disappointed I couldn't do better at my home grand prix. I liked the track but not the ground. We launched the team here and I’m really happy with the set-up and the structure. I have to reach the same standard myself now!”

Rui Goncalves
“I thought I might struggle at this track and disappointingly it turned out this way. We tried changing a few settings to find grip and more speed but I couldn’t get the feeling I needed to get comfortable. We’ll keep working for better next weekend.”

2014 MXGP Italy

Arco di Trento 13/04/2014

race I
1 Gautier Paulin Kawasaki FRA 35'15.959
2 Clement Desalle Suzuki BEL 0'02.310
3 Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 0'04.616
4 Maximilian Nagl Honda GER 0'08.139
5 Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 0'09.826
6 Antonio Cairoli KTM ITA 0'13.420
7 Evgeny Bobryshev Honda RUS 0'26.871
8 Joel Roelants Honda BEL 0'51.761
9 Davide Guarneri TM ITA 0'53.405
10 Xavier Boog Honda FRA 0'56.941
11 David Philippaerts
Yamaha
ITA 1'03.247
12 Shaun Simpson KTM GBR 1'09.634
13 Matiss Karro KTM LVA 1'09.989
14 Todd Waters Husqvarna AUS 1'13.509
15 Jake Nicholls KTM GBR 1'23.404
18 Rui Gonçalves
Yamaha
POR 1'38.747
21 Milko Potisek Yamaha FRA -1Laps
race II
1 Clement Desalle Suzuki BEL 33'49.752
2 Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 0'00.801
3 Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 0'01.603
4 Antonio Cairoli KTM ITA 0'11.113
5 Maximilian Nagl Honda GER 0'34.395
6 Shaun Simpson KTM GBR 0'48.437
7 Todd Waters Husqvarna AUS 0'49.173
8 Alessandro Lupino Kawasaki ITA 0'50.297
9 Jake Nicholls KTM GBR 0'53.200
10 Xavier Boog Honda FRA 0'59.055
11 Davide Guarneri TM ITA 1'06.762
12 Milko Potisek Yamaha FRA 1'10.763
13 Rui Gonçalves
Yamaha
POR 1'14.410
14 Matiss Karro KTM LVA 1'16.907
15 Tanel Leok TM EST 1'17.497
18 David Philippaerts
Yamaha
ITA -1Laps

MXGP World Standing

Rider Standings After Race 4 of 19

1. Antonio Cairoli KTM ITA 175
2. Clement Desalle Suzuki BEL 158
3. Jeremy Van Horebeek
Yamaha
BEL 154
4. Maximilian Nagl Honda GER 144
5. Gautier Paulin Kawasaki FRA 137
6. Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 109
7. Todd Waters Husqvarna AUS 89
8. Evgeny Bobryshev Honda RUS 81
9. Joel Roelants Honda BEL 76
10. Shaun Simpson KTM GBR 72
11. Xavier Boog Honda FRA 71
12. Steven Frossard Kawasaki FRA 68
13. Davide Guarneri TM ITA 67
14. Rui Gonçalves
Yamaha
POR 64
15. Jake Nicholls KTM GBR 50
16. David Philippaerts
Yamaha
ITA 49
24. Milko Potisek Yamaha FRA 9
30. Amirezza Sabetifar Yamaha IRI 2

Circuit Length:
Weather:
Dry
Last Years Winner:
Antonio Cairoli

Manufacturer Standings

13/04/2014

1 KTM 175
2 Suzuki 160
3 Yamaha
4 Kawasaki 150
5 Honda 144
6 Husqvarna 89
7 TM 74

Fontanesi gets back to winning ways at home GP
The Grand Prix of Trentino bore little fruit for Yamaha in the MX2 division but FIM Women’s World Champion Kiara Fontanesi roared back to form in what was the second round of six in the 2014 WMX series by the top spot victory at her home event. The scenic setting of Arco di Trento was at odds with the punishing demands of the racing circuit as the Italian hard-pack offered a vicious combination of gnarly bumps and precious little traction. It was on this stage that double world champion ‘Fonta’ took her YRRD customer-kitted YZ250F to her first win of the season by capturing third and first positions in the two motos.

Trento was the location for the fourth round of eighteen in the FIM Motocross World Championship and was attended by 25,000 fans for the series’ first outing on European soil. In MX2 Bike it Yamaha Cosworth’s Max Anstie was unable to vie for his third podium in the class in what was a difficult meeting. The young Briton suffered two crashes in the first moto and was forced back to the pits three laps before the chequered flag. Desperate to make amends he misjudged the start in the second race and hit the gate. He had to fight through from last to fourteenth position. Max was also dealing with some tough personal circumstances that contributed to a forgettable weekend.

Kemea Yamaha Racing’s Luke Styke was twelfth overall in just his fourth Grand Prix and his first moto finish of 13th was a personal best yet for the reigning Australian Champion. Team-mate Petar Petrov did not finish the opening moto but his 10th in the second was some positive light for the Bulgarian ahead of his home GP next week at Sevlievo.

It was left to Fontanesi to shine on the 2014 YZ250F and after taking a cautious ride to third place on Saturday she started brilliantly to apply pressure to leader Meghan Rutledge in the second moto. When the Australian crashed Kiara was free to escape to a convincing triumph in front of her fans. After a difficult season-opener in Qatar, ‘8’ is now back in the championship hunt and is just two points from Natalie Kane.

Round five takes place on Easter weekend in the depths of Bulgaria and at the award-winning Sevlievo circuit. The fast, hillside course will be home to European EMX125, 250 and 300 series as part of the support programme. The third round of WMX will take place two weeks later at Valkenswaard for the Grand Prix of Netherlands.

Kiara Fontanesi

“I really tried to push this weekend. In the first moto I didn’t want to take any risks, so I did what I could to get up from sixth to third and was determined for the second moto today. I gave my all at the start and reached second place on the first corner. From there I could ride smoothly and with my own rhythm. I saw I was faster and was waiting for the right moment to pass Meghan when she crashed. It was good for me because I recovered a lot of points in the championship. I’m happy to win the GP, especially here in Italy. I did a lot of things wrong in Qatar so this is like a new start to the championship. We go to Valkenswaard next and I like the sand. I think we can do well there.”

Luke Styke:
“I’m happy the results are getting better. I managed to improve my result from Brazil and that was the goal. I’m still not where I should be at but at least we see an upward trend in the results. I will keep on working hard and I’m looking forward to go to Bulgaria next week discovering another new track.”

Max Anstie
“Not the weekend we were looking for. We were switching between set-ups and finally went with what we knew. Today I went down quite heavily on the first lap of the first race. I was lucky not to be landed on. It ruined the moto. In the second one I really wanted to get a good start but I hit the gate; which I never do! I can’t believe I did it. I had to come from the back again and I found the track like a skating rink because it had been watered. It was one-liney. I tried passing but struggled. The others were better than me today. Back to the drawing board and we’ve got a lot of testing and work ahead of us.”

Petar Petrov

“There’s not so much to say to be honest. The story of the last weeks continued here in Italy. In the first race I came together with Tonus in the start and I was in the last position. I charged hard and after a couple of laps I was already riding in the points. I felt pretty good and my speed was alright, but then we had a mechanical problem. This is part of racing. In the second race I had an average start and when I got to 10th position I had a small crash in a corner and lost five or six positions. By the time I got back to tenth the gap to the next rider was too big. 10th is not bad but it’s not where I should be. Now we’re going to my home round in Bulgaria next week.“

2014 MX2-GP Italy

Arco di Trento 13/04/2014

race I
1 Jeffrey Herlings KTM NED 33'54.254
2 Arnaud Tonus Kawasaki CHE 0'02.818
3 Tim Gajser Honda SVN 0'11.277
4 Valentin Guillod KTM CHE 0'13.188
5 Jeremy Seewer Suzuki CHE 0'20.052
6 Jordi Tixier KTM FRA 0'22.015
7 Romain Febvre Husqvarna FRA 0'24.788
8 Glenn Coldenhoff Suzuki NED 0'25.139
9 Jose Antonio Butron KTM ESP 0'36.305
10 Dylan Ferrandis Kawasaki FRA 0'40.523
11 Maxime Desprey Honda FRA 0'51.596
12 Pauls Jonass KTM LVA 0'55.556
13 Luke Styke
Yamaha
AUS 1'07.247
14 Aleksandr Tonkov Husqvarna RUS 1'10.529
15 Harri Kullas KTM FIN 1'11.222
21 Magne Klingsheim Yamaha NOR 1'37.368
24 Luca Borz Yamaha ITA -1Laps
31 Max Anstie
Yamaha
GBR -4Laps
race II
1 Glenn Coldenhoff Suzuki NED 34'08.866
2 Jeffrey Herlings KTM NED 0'02.787
3 Arnaud Tonus Kawasaki CHE 0'04.355
4 Valentin Guillod KTM CHE 0'19.297
5 Romain Febvre Husqvarna FRA 0'27.905
6 Jordi Tixier KTM FRA 0'31.225
7 Jose Antonio Butron KTM ESP 0'33.543
8 Aleksandr Tonkov Husqvarna RUS 0'43.821
9 Jeremy Seewer Suzuki CHE 0'44.897
10 Petar Petrov
Yamaha
BGR 0'51.304
11 Tim Gajser Honda SVN 0'53.193
12 Mel Pocock KTM GBR 1'08.661
13 Maxime Desprey Honda FRA 1'18.492
14 Max Anstie
Yamaha
GBR 1'20.182
15 Harri Kullas KTM FIN 1'20.247
16 Luke Styke
Yamaha
AUS 1'28.357
22 Magne Klingsheim Yamaha NOR 1'46.590
27 Luca Borz Yamaha ITA -1Laps

MX2-GP World Standing

Rider Standings After Race 4 of 21

1. Arnaud Tonus Kawasaki CHE 154
2. Glenn Coldenhoff Suzuki NED 148
3. Jeffrey Herlings KTM NED 144
4. Romain Febvre Husqvarna FRA 126
5. Dylan Ferrandis Kawasaki FRA 118
6. Jordi Tixier KTM FRA 107
7. Aleksandr Tonkov Husqvarna RUS 107
8. Jose Antonio Butron KTM ESP 100
9. Valentin Guillod KTM CHE 95
10. Tim Gajser Honda SVN 93
11. Max Anstie
Yamaha
GBR 84
12. Jeremy Seewer Suzuki CHE 75
13. Alessandro Lupino Kawasaki ITA 55
14. Mel Pocock KTM GBR 46
15. Petar Petrov
Yamaha
BGR 42
16. Maxime Desprey Honda FRA 40
19. Christophe Charlier
Yamaha
FRA 32
20. Luke Styke
Yamaha
AUS 27
22. Magne Klingsheim Yamaha NOR 15
29. Anton Lundgren Yamaha SWE 5

Circuit Length:
Weather:
Dry
Last Years Winner:
Jeffrey Herlings

Manufacturer Standings

13/04/2014

1 KTM 174
2 Kawasaki 172
3 Suzuki 151
4 Husqvarna 132
5 Yamaha
6 Honda 103
7 TM 6
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.