+ 2015 Motorcycles
+ 2014 Motorcycles
+ 2013 Motorcycles
+ 2012 Motorcycles
+ 2011 Motorcycles
+ 2010 Motorcycles
+ 2009 Motorcycles
+ 2008 Motorcycles
+ 2007 Motorcycles
+ 2006 Motorcycles
+ 2005 Motorcycles
+ 2004 Motorcycles
+ 2003 Motorcycles
+ 2002 Motorcycles
+ 2001 Motorcycles
+ 2000 Motorcycles
+ 1970-1999 Models
+ 2009-2013 ATVs
+ Concept Bikes
Guides & Resources
+ Beginner's Guide
+ Bikers Dictionary
+ Buyers Guide
+ Concept Bike Guide
+ Compare Bike/ATVs
+ Fuel Economy Guide
+ Maintenance Guide
+ Mfg Compendium
+ Model History Guide
+ Motorcycle Cool Wall
+ Motorcycle Events
+ Motorcycle News
+ Motorcycle Reviews
+ Performance Guide
+ Product Reviews
+ Restoration Tips
+ Specs Handbook
+ Tire/Tyre Guide
+ TMW Museum
+ TMW Interviews
+ Travel Guide
+ Shopping Guide
+ Unit Converter Guide
+ Moto Guzzi
+ MV Agusta
+ Royal Enfield
+ Motorcycle Forums
+ Photo Gallery
+ Become a TMW fan!
+ On Facebook
+ On Google Plus
+ On Twitter
+ On YouTube
+ RSS News Feed
+ RSS Forum Feed
+ Old Photo Galleries
+ Contests & Prizes
+ TMW T-Shirts
+ Search This Site
+ Add us to your site
Advertising & Media
+ Advertise on TMW
+ Our Sponsors
+ Contact Us
+ TMW Recognition
+ TMW Staff
+ Our Motorcycles
+ Our Ride Photos
+ Site Map
Back to 2001 Honda Motorcycle Index Page
Click photo to enlarge.
It makes a great desktop image.
No other dual-sport motorcycle dances across the desert and carves through
the backwoods like the indomitable XR650L.
New for 2001
· Team Honda-inspired colors and graphics.
· Bulletproof 644cc SOHC four-stroke engine produces power and torque ideally suited for both on and off-road riding.
· Radial Four-Valve Combustion Chamber (RFVC(tm)) allows excellent combustion efficiency and high power output.
· 42.5mm CV carburetor offers crisp throttle response, excellent driveability and maximum power.
· Reliable electric starter system allows easy push-button starting.
· Gear-driven counterbalancer minimizes bothersome and tiring vibration.
· Free-flowing two-into-one exhaust system with quiet, USDA-qualified spark arrester/muffler.
· Maintenance-free automatic cam chain tensioner and solid-state CD ignition with electronic advance keep you out of the shop and on the road.
· Dry-sump engine maximizes power by minimizing crankshaft windage and engine temperature.
· Durable five-speed transmission offers a gear for every on or off-road situation.
· Heavy-duty multi-plate clutch.
· Heavy-duty, low-maintenance #520 O-ring drive chain.
· Semi-double-cradle XR600R-spec steel frame is lightweight, strong and offers precise handling manners.
· 43mm XR-spec Showa cartridge fork features 16-position compression damping adjustability and superb off-road performance.
· Pro-Link® single-shock rear suspension system features a fully adjustable 46mm Showa damper for exceptional rear wheel control both on and off-road.
· Lightweight, strong and durable aluminum box-section swingarm with XR600R-type quick-detach rear wheel.
· Front and rear disc brakes offer superb stopping power.
· Lightweight yet super-strong wheels.
· Frame-mounted passenger footrests allow two-up riding capability.
· Aggressive dual-purpose front and rear tires offer excellent performance both on and off-road.
· 18-inch rear wheel for greater tire selection.
· Lightweight rims and hubs feature straight-pull spokes.
· Combination headlight/number plate and dual airflow shrouds direct cool air to the engine.
· Enduro-style headlight features high/low beams.
· Motocross-style seat is comfortable and allows maximum rider movement.
· Large, durable fenders keep debris off the rider.
· Lightweight tubular engine guard.
· Rear-fender-mounted tool kit.
· Wide-section folding, cleated footpegs are comfortable and self-cleaning.
· High-output 12-volt electrical system.
· Flex-mounted turn signals resist breakage.
· Compact speedometer features tripmeter/ odometer, a neutral light as well as high beam, turn signal and sidestand indicators.
· Easy-to-use choke allows easy cold-weather starts.
· Push-to-cancel turn-signal switch.
· High-quality controls include comfortable grips and brush guards.
· Convenient helmet lock and tool kit are standard equipment.
· Transferable one-year unlimited-mileage limited warranty.
644cc air-cooled, single cylinder, dry sump, four-stroke
Bore and Stroke
100mm x 82mm
SOHC; four-valve RFVC
42.5mm diaphragm-type CV
Solid-state CD with electronic advance
#520 O-ring-sealed chain; 15T/45T
43mm air-adjustable leading-axle Showa cartridge fork with 16-position compression damping adjustability; 295 mm travel
Pro-Link Showa single shock with spring preload, 20-position compression and 20-position rebound damping adjustability; 280 mm travel
Single disc with twin-piston caliper
3.00-21 Dual Purpose
4.60-18 Dual Purpose
1455mm (57.3 in.)
940mm (37.0 in.)
149 kg (324.1 lbs.)
10.5 litres, (2.3 Imp. gal.)
Specifications are subject to change without notice, in accordance with national
regulation and legislations.