46 Years of Models
+ 2017 Motorcycles
+ 2016 Motorcycles
+ 2015 Motorcycles
+ 2014 Motorcycles
+ 2013 Motorcycles
+ 2012 Motorcycles
+ 2011 Motorcycles
+ 2010 Motorcycles
+ 2000 - 2009 Models
+ 1990 - 1999 Models
+ 1980 - 1989 Models
+ 1970 - 1979 Models
+ ATV Guides
+ Concept Bikes
Guides & Resources
+ Beginner's Guide
+ Biker's Dictionary
+ Buyer's Guide
+ Compare Bike/ATVs
+ MPG Guide
+ Maintenance Guide
+ Mfg Compendium
+ Model History Guide
+ Cool Wall
+ Performance Guide
+ Restoration Tips
+ Specs Handbook
+ Tire/Tyre Guide
+ TMW History
+ Travel Guide
+ Shopping Guide
+ Unit Converters
+ Moto Guzzi
+ MV Agusta
+ Royal Enfield
+ Photo Gallery
+ Google Plus
+ Old Photo Gallery
+ TMW Merchandise
Advertising & Media
+ Contact Us
+ Site Map
All content on Total Motorcycle is copyright protected and actively monitored by DMCA Protection Services.
Motorcycle is family owned and operated
By Riders, For Riders, 250 Million readers for over 16 years.
Honda VT600C Shadow VLX
Back to 2003 Honda Motorcycle Index Page
Click on photos to enlarge.
It makes a great desktop image.
Few entry-level customs can boast as many big-bike features as Honda's VLX. Just like its larger stablemates, VLX is powered by a 52-degree V-twin engine. And like the big boys, VLX boasts three-valve cylinder heads for maximum power and twin spark plugs in each combustion chamber for maximum efficiency.
VLX also has the lowest seat height of any of our cruisers for both a comfortable riding position and easy flat-footed stops. Then there's VLX's unique 'hardtail' rear suspension that emulates the 'rigid' look of custom choppers. But thanks to its hidden Monoshock design and seven position preload adjustment, there's 90mm of plush suspension travel.
The Honda Shadow VLX. Light on the wallet. Heavy on the features.
· 583cc liquid-cooled V-twin engine produces impressive power over a broad rpm- range.
· Three-valve cylinder head design utilizes two spark plugs per cylinder for excellent combustion efficiency and high power output.
· Coolant-heated carburetor is tuned for excellent power and rideability.
· Finned cylinders enhance appearance.
· Aluminum radiator maintains consistent engine temperature for optimum performance and long engine life.
· Wide-ratio four-speed transmission.
· Dual exhaust system offers a rumbling sound and custom appearance.
· Reliable electric starting system.
· Solid-state ignition with electronic advance offers dependability and is maintenance-free.
· Maintenance-free automatic cam-chain tensioners.
· Double-cradle steel frame allows a long wheelbase, and a low seat height of just 650mm.
· 39mm front fork offers a compliant, controlled ride.
· Specially designed swingarm gives the bike a custom, hardtail look.
· Rear shock has seven-position spring preload adjustability.
· Single-disc front brake with twin-piston caliper and a drum rear brake.
· Chrome-plated rims and spokes.
· Massive, 170/80-15 rear tire offers excellent grip and provides a low, custom look.
· Durable O-ring-sealed drive chain.
· Chrome handlebar and forward-mounted footpegs are rubber-mounted for reduced vibration and offer a comfortable riding position.
· Custom-style seat is wide and low in the rear and narrow in the front, with dense foam to provide a comfortable, 650mm seat height.
· Chrome-plated halogen headlight.
· Simple, easy-to-read instrumentation.
· Helmet lock and tool kit.
· Soft, comfortable handgrips.
· Solid aluminum footpegs with wide rubber trim bands project a custom-made look.
· Standard fork lock.
· 12-volt maintenance-free battery.
583cc liquid-cooled, 52-degree V-twin, single pin crank
Bore and Stroke
75mm x 66mm
SOHC; three valves per cylinder
Single 34mm diaphragm-type CV
39mm fork; 145mm travel
Single shock with seven-position preload adjustability; 90 travel
Single 296mm disc with twin-piston caliper
1600mm (63.0 in.)
650mm (25.6 in.)
205kg (452 lbs.)
11 L (2.4 Imp.gal)
Specifications are subject to change without notice, in accordance with national
regulation and legislations.