46 Years of Models
+ 2017 Motorcycles
+ 2016 Motorcycles
+ 2015 Motorcycles
+ 2014 Motorcycles
+ 2013 Motorcycles
+ 2012 Motorcycles
+ 2011 Motorcycles
+ 2010 Motorcycles
+ 2000 - 2009 Models
+ 1990 - 1999 Models
+ 1980 - 1989 Models
+ 1970 - 1979 Models
+ ATV Guides
+ Concept Bikes
Guides & Resources
+ Beginner's Guide
+ Biker's Dictionary
+ Buyer's Guide
+ Compare Bike/ATVs
+ MPG Guide
+ Maintenance Guide
+ Mfg Compendium
+ Model History Guide
+ Cool Wall
+ Performance Guide
+ Restoration Tips
+ Specs Handbook
+ Tire/Tyre Guide
+ TMW History
+ Travel Guide
+ Shopping Guide
+ Unit Converters
+ Moto Guzzi
+ MV Agusta
+ Royal Enfield
+ Photo Gallery
+ Google Plus
+ Old Photo Gallery
+ TMW Merchandise
Advertising & Media
+ Contact Us
+ Site Map
All content on Total Motorcycle is copyright protected and actively monitored by DMCA Protection Services.
Motorcycle is family owned and operated
By Riders, For Riders, 250 Million readers for over 16 years.
Back to 2006 Honda Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
2006 Honda Interceptor
The enduring Interceptor boasts a host of changes for 2006, including a revamped VTEC system and a plethora of styling upgrades.
Features & Benefits
New for 2006
- New ECU mapping engages VTEC at 6400 rpm to better match the four-valve power curve, producing a smoother power transition.
- New clear turn signal lenses front and rear provide a high-tech look.
- New gradient on windshield for cleaner, sharper styling.
- Styling on tachometer face makes numbers easier to read.
- Satin finish treatment on muffler covers and exhaust heat shield for distinctive styling.
- New silver finish on clutch and brake master cylinders.
- Front cowling center piece color matched to body for integrated styling.
- New colors are Pearl White and Pearl Black.
- Revolutionary VTEC combines the power characteristics of both two-valve and four-valve cylinder head designs. The engine runs on two-valves-per-cylinder below 6400 rpm and then switches to four-valves-per-cylinder, delivering significantly stronger low-end and mid-range torque, while maintaining the Interceptor's impressive high-rpm power delivery.
- The 2006 Interceptor® meets the California Air Resources Board (CARB) 2008 emissions standards.
- Silent-type cam-chain drive eliminates mechanical gear noise. The system features a set of dual tensioners that maintain optimal pressure and lubrication for the camshaft chains, ensuring quiet operation and long life.
- Programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) uses four laser-drilled 12-hole injectors, for finer fuel atomization, improved combustion efficiency, reduced emissions and increased power.
- Iridium-tip spark plugs are ignited by compact high-energy coil-on-plug spark plug caps that produce a strong, high-voltage spark.
- Unique NR-style center-up exhaust system incorporates two stainless steel mufflers tucked snugly under the Interceptor's tail section.
- Clutch features an offset outside friction plate for quiet operation when starting from a stop.
- Three-phase coil-spring damper in the transmission provides for smooth upshifts.
- Large-diameter, 43mm Honda Multi-Action System (HMAS) cartridge front fork provides enhanced handling under all riding conditions.
- Four brilliant multi-reflector headlights employ two centrally positioned H4 low/high beams positioned under two widely spaced H7 high beams for brilliant nighttime illumination.
- 5.8-gallon fuel capacity.
- Compact, 781cc DOHC 90° V-4 with an oversquare bore and stroke of 72mm x 48mm.
- Combustion chambers feature an 11.6:1 compression ratio and are fed by programmed fuel injection through short, straight intake ports.
- Interceptor engine serves as a stressed member of the pivotless frame, which features specially designed engine mounting bolts tuned to work in harmony with the damping characteristics of the frame.
- Aluminum composite cylinder sleeves are high-pressure-formed from sintered aluminum powder impregnated with ceramic and graphite. The composite sleeves provide better wear resistance and superior heat dissipation compared to conventional sleeves.
- Cast aluminum pistons feature LUB-Coat solid lubricant to minimize friction between piston and cylinder wall.
- Auto-enriching system is integrated into PGM-FI module, optimizing the air/fuel mixture on cold starts and eliminating the need for a manual choke.
- Solenoid-operated dual-air-intake-duct design keeps one duct closed during low-speed operation to ensure optimal control of air intake velocity.
- Dual side-mounted radiators maximize cooling efficiency using low-air-pressure areas created by side cowls to draw cooling air through the radiators. During low-speed operation, a thermostat-controlled left-side fan pulls cooling air across the radiator into the fairing, keeping hot air away from the rider.
- Rugged 125mm-diameter eight-plate clutch offers light weight and high load capacity.
- Exceptionally smooth-shifting six-speed transmission.
- Triple-box-section twin-spar aluminum frame features a tuned, pivotless design that isolates the engine-mounted swingarm from the frame and contributes to handling comfort.
- Interceptor's beautiful Pro Arm® single-side cast aluminum swingarm, mounted to the engine, provides an optimal balance of rigidity and tuned flex for superb handling.
- Pro-Link® rear suspension features a 40mm gas-charged HMAS shock with 4.7 inches of travel and adjustable spring preload and rebound damping. (ABS-equipped model has a convenient spring preload adjustment knob.) The Pro-Link arm is anchored directly to a cast aluminum bracket on the rear of the engine case.
- Linked Braking System (LBS) uses a second master cylinder and a proportional control valve (PCV) to couple the three-piston calipers of the dual-front and single-rear brake discs for even better braking feel, while providing the peace of mind of an LBS system. Using the front brake lever activates the outer two pistons of the left-side front caliper, all three pistons of the right-side caliper and the center piston of the rear caliper. Rear pedal engagement activates the two outer pistons of the rear caliper and the center piston in the left-front caliper.
- The Interceptor's 296mm floating front brake discs feature a lightweight seven-spoke inner rotor design.
- U-section cast aluminum wheels are light and reduce unsprung weight.
- The six-spoke, 3.5-inch-wide front wheel carries a 120/70ZR-17 radial tire. The five-spoke, 5.5-inch rear wheel sports a wide, low-profile 180/55ZR-17 radial tire.
- The Interceptor's sleek, aerodynamic bodywork is functional as well as beautiful.
- Air flowing through a central air vent under the front windshield provides cool air to the rider at low speeds and increases rider comfort at higher speeds.
- A second model is available with Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) for even better braking control.
- High-tech instrument display includes electronic tachometer, LCD readouts for speedometer, air temperature, coolant temperature, odometer, two tripmeters, and clock.
- ACG output of 497 watts.
- Detachable seat offers access to space to carry U-lock and other necessities. (Lock not included.)
- Removable passenger seat cowl.
- Adjustable brake and clutch levers.
- Injection-molded nylon passenger grabrails are comfortable to the touch in cold or hot weather.
- Folding aerodynamic mirrors.
- Handlebar switches and controls use internationally approved ISO graphic symbols.
- Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Ownership includes one-year complimentary membership for an individual in the Honda Rider's Club of America (HRCA®). Benefits include: discounts, travel benefits, roadside assistance, one year of Honda Red Rider magazine, access to HRCA Clubhouse Web site (www.hrca.honda.com) and access online to Honda Common Service Manual. For HRCA details, call 1-800-847-HRCA. For dealers only, please call (310) 783-3958.
- Touring Accessories: Color-matched Hard Saddlebags, Sport Touring Trunk, Saddlebag Liner Set, Trunk Liner.
Model: VFR800FI / VFR800FI ABS
Engine Type: 781cc liquid-cooled 90° V-4
Bore and Stroke: 72mm x 48mm
Compression Ratio: 11.6:1
Valve Train: VTEC DOHC; four valves per cylinder
Carburetion: PGM-FI with automatic enricher circuit
Ignition: Computer-controlled digital with three-dimensional mapping and electronic advance
Transmission: Close-ratio six-speed
Final Drive: #530 O-ring-sealed chain
Front: 43mm HMAS cartridge fork with spring preload adjustability; 4.3 inches travel
Rear: Pro Arm single-side swingarm with Pro-Link single HMAS gas-charged shock with seven-position spring preload and rebound damping adjustability; 4.7 inches travel
Front: Dual full-floating 296mm discs with LBS three-piston calipers
Rear: Single 256mm disc with LBS three-piston caliper
VFR800FI ABS: Optional ABS
Front: 120/70 ZR-17 radial
Rear: 180/55ZR-17 radial
Wheelbase: 57.4 inches
Rake (Caster Angle): 25.3°
Trail: 100mm (3.9 inches)
Seat Height: 31.7 inches
Dry Weight: 470 pounds (VFR800FI) / 481 pounds (VFR800FI ABS)
Fuel Capacity: 5.8 gallons, including 0.8-gallon reserve
Meets 2008 CARB emissions standards.