46 Years of Models
+ 2017 Motorcycles
+ 2016 Motorcycles
+ 2015 Motorcycles
+ 2014 Motorcycles
+ 2013 Motorcycles
+ 2012 Motorcycles
+ 2011 Motorcycles
+ 2010 Motorcycles
+ 2000 - 2009 Models
+ 1990 - 1999 Models
+ 1980 - 1989 Models
+ 1970 - 1979 Models
+ ATV Guides
+ Concept Bikes
Guides & Resources
+ Beginner's Guide
+ Biker's Dictionary
+ Buyer's Guide
+ Compare Bike/ATVs
+ MPG Guide
+ Maintenance Guide
+ Mfg Compendium
+ Model History Guide
+ Cool Wall
+ Performance Guide
+ Restoration Tips
+ Specs Handbook
+ Tire/Tyre Guide
+ TMW History
+ Travel Guide
+ Shopping Guide
+ Unit Converters
+ Moto Guzzi
+ MV Agusta
+ Royal Enfield
+ Photo Gallery
+ Google Plus
+ Old Photo Gallery
+ TMW Merchandise
Advertising & Media
+ Contact Us
+ Site Map
All content on Total Motorcycle is copyright protected and actively monitored by DMCA Protection Services.
Motorcycle is family owned and operated
By Riders, For Riders, 250 Million readers for over 16 years.
Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Drifter
Back to 2006 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Drifter
The Vulcan® 800 Drifter® cruiser evokes images of the 1940s, when stylists endowed the motorcycles and cars of the day with flowing curves and deep luxuriant colors to create works of art.
Modern-day motorcyclists will appreciate riding the 800 Drifter as much as theyll love its style. With the power of an 805cc V-twin engine, it features a single overhead cam and a single-pin crankshaft for that classic V-twin rumble, while a gear driven balancer helps to reduce vibration. Finned cylinders and four-valve heads are liquid-cooled for optimum thermal control. Concealed automatic cam chain tensioners preserve the engine's clean lines and maintain precise cam timing, while a spin-on oil filter helps make maintenance a quick and easy job.
The Drifter's 36mm carburetor features the Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control (K-TRIC) throttle position sensor, which is connected to the digitally mapped ignition system. K-TRIC monitors throttle position and engine rpm, and controls ignition advance for the best power, fuel economy and detonation resistance.
At the rear of the single backbone, double-cradle frame is a sleek, triangulated steel swingarm and Kawasaki UNI-TRAK® linkage rear suspension system, which provide a smooth ride while maintaining the retro look of a hard tail cruiser. Front and rear disc brakes provide plenty of stopping power.
For comfort, the Drifter's specially contoured solo saddle is nice and low, allowing the rider to comfortably plant both feet on the ground at stops. Wide floorboards allow for a relaxed sitting position, a heel-toe shifter makes changing gears in the five-speed transmission a snap, and self-canceling turn signals add to rider convenience.
Finally, the generous use of chrome on the engine covers, bullet-shaped headlight shell, fork and shock covers, handlebar and clamp, rear fender rail, and license-plate bracket enhance the custom look.
V-Twin 805cc Engine with Gear-Driven Balancer
- Torque from idle to redline
- Smooth and reliable
- Balancer allows use of single-pin crankshaft without the heavy vibration
Four Valves Per Cylinder
- Better breathing for more power and low-end torque
- Single overhead cam design is simple, lightweight and practical
Liquid and Air Cooling
- Finned cylinders and heads combine with liquid cooling to provide exceptional thermal control
- Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use
- Automatic fan keeps things cool even in traffic
- Ratios designed for great acceleration and relaxed highway cruising
- Exclusive Positive Neutral Finder
36mm CVK Side Draft Carburetor With K-TRIC Throttle Position Sensor
- A throttle-position sensor monitors engine load, allowing its micro-computer to determine the best ignition timing for more power and better fuel economy
- Right down-tube unbolts for easy engine access
- High-tensile steel for strength and light weight
Tank-Mounted Speedometer with Turn Signal Indicators and Caution Lamps
- Compact design complements the bike's clean look
- Clean-design locking gas cap
- Modern instrument cluster with nostalgic style
Transistor Controlled Breakerless Ignition with Digital Timing Advance (TCBI)
- A hot spark at all engine speeds for easy starting, smooth running and good fuel economy
- Virtually maintenance-free
41mm Front Fork
- Excellent rigidity and 5.9 inches of travel
- Wide fork pitch for classic look
- Front and rear disc brakes provide sure stops
48-Spoke Custom Wheels
- Chromed steel rims and spokes with "spool-style" polished aluminum front hub
UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
- Single shock absorber with seven-way cam-type preload adjuster
Sleek Swingarm Design
- Triangulated, steel swingarm looks like a "hard tail"
- Engineered for rigidity and provides precise handling
Engine: Four-stroke, SOHC, V-twin, 8 valves
Bore x stroke: 88 x 66.2mm
Compression ratio: 9.5:1
Carburetion: Keihin CVK36
Ignition: Digital with Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control
Final drive: Chain
Frame: High-tensile steel, double cradle
Rake / trail: 31.5 degrees / 6.2 in
Front suspension / wheel travel: 41mm hydraulic telescopic fork / 5.9 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAK® single shock system with seven-way preload adjustment / 4.1 in.
Front tire: 130/90x16 tubeless
Rear tire: 140/90x16 tubeless
Front brake / rear brake: Hydraulic disc / Disc
Overall length: 98.0 in.
Overall width: 39.6 in.
Overall height: 44.3 in.
Ground clearance: 6.3 in.
Seat height: 29.9 in.
Dry weight: 542 lbs.
Wheelbase: 63.6 in.
Colors: Ebony / Galaxy Silver
*Specifications are subject to change.