46 Years of Models
+ 2017 Motorcycles
+ 2016 Motorcycles
+ 2015 Motorcycles
+ 2014 Motorcycles
+ 2013 Motorcycles
+ 2012 Motorcycles
+ 2011 Motorcycles
+ 2010 Motorcycles
+ 2000 - 2009 Models
+ 1990 - 1999 Models
+ 1980 - 1989 Models
+ 1970 - 1979 Models
+ ATV Guides
+ Concept Bikes
Guides & Resources
+ Beginner's Guide
+ Biker's Dictionary
+ Buyer's Guide
+ Compare Bike/ATVs
+ MPG Guide
+ Maintenance Guide
+ Mfg Compendium
+ Model History Guide
+ Cool Wall
+ Performance Guide
+ Restoration Tips
+ Specs Handbook
+ Tire/Tyre Guide
+ TMW History
+ Travel Guide
+ Shopping Guide
+ Unit Converters
+ Moto Guzzi
+ MV Agusta
+ Royal Enfield
+ Photo Gallery
+ Google Plus
+ Old Photo Gallery
+ TMW Merchandise
Advertising & Media
+ Contact Us
+ Site Map
All content on Total Motorcycle is copyright protected and actively monitored by DMCA Protection Services.
Motorcycle is family owned and operated
By Riders, For Riders, 250 Million readers for over 16 years.
Back to 2006 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
POWER, PERFORMANCE AND LEADING-EDGE DESIGN PUT THE KAWASAKI Z1000 AT THE FRONT OF THE PACK
Whether you refer to them as naked bikes or standard bikes, the look says it all for these motorcycles that emphasize power, backroad agility, and a certain type of rider individuality. Kawasakis Z1000 is no exception to this rule, and rightfully takes its place among the most desired of this breed of nakedness.
The Z1000 backs this aggressive, super naked style with an in-line four-cylinder,
DOHC 16-valve engine, which produces tractable power for hard acceleration
in any rpm range. The lightweight, all-aluminum cylinder block, with chrome
composite plated lining for wear resistance and superior heat dispersion are
features borrowed from the Kawasaki NINJA® sportbike line.
Digital fuel injection utilizing 38mm throttle bodies and sub-throttle valves promote smooth, responsive engine operation with less fuel consumption. The high-speed 32-bit digital ignition provides precise engine management and enhances the fuel injection system.
Keeping the entire engine cool is a large-area radiator with an electric fan that maintains operating temperatures at the optimum level. Simultaneously, a liquid-cooled oil cooler helps keep the six-speed transmission operating at maximum performance. Part of the Z1000s allure lies in the four stainless steel mufflers that are heat-treated to an attractive golden color. Enhancing its appeal is the Kawasaki Low Exhaust Emissions (KLEEN®) catalyzer system that helps keep exhaust emissions that flow through the quad mufflers environmentally friendly. In select markets, an additional honeycomb catalyzer system reduces emissions even further.
The Z1000s engine is mounted in a rigid, yet lightweight diamond frame with thin-walled tubes, which contributes to responsive handling performance. The engine itself is mounted as a stressed member of the frame, adding an unflappable feel to the chassis. Plus, a detachable right front-top engine mount eases maintenance.
At the front of the frame, an inverted fork with 41mm tubes delivers exceptional stability and steering performance. To meet the requirements of different riding conditions, the fork is rebound adjustable. In addition, the fork offset is designed to improve handling and provide a fluid ride.
On the rear, an extruded-aluminum swingarm features a hexagonal structure with ribbing for reduced weight and exceptional rigidity. Attached to the swingarm is Kawasakis bottom link UNI-TRAK® system that produces progressive force to the nitrogen gas-charged shock as the suspension is compressed. The shock is equipped with a piggyback reservoir and a rebound damping adjustment.
Contributing to the Z1000s superb handling characteristics are 17-inch rims and radial tires. The tires offer excellent traction, while the rims look great with a polished finish that contrasts nicely with painted hubs and spokes. Front brakes are dual semi-floating 300mm discs gripped by lightweight four-piston calipers, while the rear brake caliper holder is also designed for low weight and mounts directly to the swingarm.
The seat cowl with LED taillight, swingarm-mounted inner fender and front fender are all designed to give the Z1000 an aggressive, sporty image. The galvanized steel fuel tank is slender and helps create a seating position that is comfortable while allowing the rider to mold to the machine naturally. The bikini cowl with dual, multi-reflector headlights helps to accentuate the bikes provocative lines.
The bikini-type cowl covers and protects a lightweight, compact instrument cluster featuring a bar-type LCD tachometer and digital LCD speedometer. In addition to a digital temperature gauge, clock, tripmeter and fuel gauge is a comprehensive range of indicator lamps.
953cc, DOHC, 16-valve, In-line, Four-cylinder Four-stroke Engine
- Tuned for high torque output in medium rpm ranges
- Compact and lightweight
- Stunning appearance to enhance naked design
- Horizontal intake ports improve engine appearance
- Fins cast into head improve external appearance
- Aluminum die casting cylinder head cover is thin-walled and lightweight yet strong
- Designed with large squish area that promotes turbulence to increase flame propagation for superior combustion efficiency
- All-aluminum, closed-deck cylinder block with chrome composite plated cylinders is light, long-wearing and offers excellent heat dispersion
- Quad mufflers of polished stainless steel are heat-treated to an attractive golden color
- Kawasaki Low Exhaust Emissions (KLEEN®) catalyzer system helps keep the Z1000 environmentally friendly
- Honeycomb catalyzer system reduces emissions
- Profiles designed for more low- and mid-range power
- Lightweight hollow inlet and exhaust cams each ride on five ball bearings to reduce friction loss
- Front cam-chain guide is light, easy to mount and gives more accurate valve timing
- Crowning added to gears improves durability
Digital Fuel Injection
- Provides excellent engine response and power with less fuel consumption
- Compact electronic control unit processes information faster for better engine response
- In-tank, electric fuel pump delivers a constant supply of fuel in all riding conditions
- 38mm throttle bodies with sub throttle valves promote smooth engine operation
- Plug-mounted ignition coils are fitted to suit the new injection system
- Compact 32-bit ignition CPU delivers highly accurate information for the Digital Fuel Injection (DFI®) system
- Large-area radiator with electric fan maintains operating temperatures at the proper level
- Liquid-cooled oil cooler keeps oil temperatures under control
- Rigid yet lightweight diamond frame of large-diameter thin-walled tubes contributes to responsive handling performance
- Engine is mounted as a stressed member for high chassis rigidity
- Detachable right front-top engine mount eases maintenance
- Steering head uses caged ball bearings for light steering qualities
41mm, Fully Adjustable, Inverted Fork
- Inverted fork with 41mm tubes delivers awesome steering performance
- Fork is rebound damping adjustable
Rebound Adjustable Rear Shock
- Rear shock settings match the rigid chassis
- UNI-TRAK® bottom link rear suspensions features a nitrogen gas-charged shock
- Shock equipped with piggyback reservoir, spring preload and rebound damping adjustments
Lightweight Disc Brakes
- Dual front, semi-floating 300mm discs are gripped by lightweight 4-piston calipers providing impressive braking performance
- Rear brake caliper holder designed for low weight and mounts directly to swingarm
Wheels and Tires
- Polished rims contrast nicely with painted hubs and spokes
- 17-inch radial tires deliver excellent traction
- Large diameter front and rear axles are hollow, for high rigidity and low weight
Defining Bodywork and Ergonomics
- Seat cowl with LED taillight and swingarm-mounted inner fender give an aggressive, sporty image
- Bikini cowl accentuates the bikes provocative lines
- Sleek fuel tank constructed of galvanized steel to resist corrosion
- Seating position is very comfortable and allows the rider to mold to the machine
- Multi-deflector headlight enhances front-end appearance
High-tech Instrument Panel
- Lightweight, compact instrument cluster features a bar-type LCD tachometer and digital LCD speedometer
- Cluster includes digital temp gauge, clock, tripmeter, fuel gauge and a comprehensive range of indicator lamps
- Tamper-resistant ignition switch
- Rubber mounted aluminum handlebar dampens engine vibration
- Forged side stand is strong and tucks nicely out of the way for ample cornering clearance
- Seat utilizes special low-slip surface material for high comfort
- Aerodynamic passenger seat cover comes standard
Engine Type: 4-Stroke, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, 4 Valve Cylinder Head, Transverse In-Line 4-Cylinder
Displacement: 953 cc
Bore & Stroke: 77.20 x 50.9 mm
Maximum Torque: 70.5 lb-ft @ 8,000 rpm
Compression Ratio: 11.2:1
Fuel Injection: DFI with Keihin 38mm Throttle Bodies (4)
Ignition: TCBI with Digital Advance
Final Drive: O-Ring Chain
Rake/Trail: 24°/4.0 in.
Front Wheel Travel: 4.7 in.
Rear Wheel Travel: 5.4 in.
Front Tire Size: 120/70 ZR17
Rear Tire Size: 190/50 ZR17
Wheelbase: 55.9 in.
Front Suspension: 41mm Inverted Cartridge Fork with Stepless Adjustable Rebound Damping
Rear Suspension: Uni-Trak with Stepless Adjustable Rebound and Damping
Front Brake Type: Dual 300mm Floating Discs with Opposed 4-Piston Calipers
Rear Brake Type: Single 220mm Disc
Fuel Tank Capacity: 4.8 gal.
Seat Height: 32.3 in.
Dry Weight: 437 lb.
Color: Candy Flat Raw Plasma Blue
Warranty: 12 months
Good Times Protection Plan: 24, 36 or 48 months
* Price and specifications subject to change