46 Years of Models
+ 2017 Motorcycles
+ 2016 Motorcycles
+ 2015 Motorcycles
+ 2014 Motorcycles
+ 2013 Motorcycles
+ 2012 Motorcycles
+ 2011 Motorcycles
+ 2010 Motorcycles
+ 2000 - 2009 Models
+ 1990 - 1999 Models
+ 1980 - 1989 Models
+ 1970 - 1979 Models
+ ATV Guides
+ Concept Bikes
Guides & Resources
+ Beginner's Guide
+ Biker's Dictionary
+ Buyer's Guide
+ Compare Bike/ATVs
+ MPG Guide
+ Maintenance Guide
+ Mfg Compendium
+ Model History Guide
+ Cool Wall
+ Performance Guide
+ Restoration Tips
+ Specs Handbook
+ Tire/Tyre Guide
+ TMW History
+ Travel Guide
+ Shopping Guide
+ Unit Converters
+ Moto Guzzi
+ MV Agusta
+ Royal Enfield
+ Photo Gallery
+ Google Plus
+ Old Photo Gallery
+ TMW Merchandise
Advertising & Media
+ Contact Us
+ Site Map
All content on Total Motorcycle is copyright protected and actively monitored by DMCA Protection Services.
Motorcycle is family owned and operated
By Riders, For Riders, 250 Million readers for over 16 years.
Back to 2009 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
- 2009 Kawasaki KLX140
2009 Kawasaki KLX140
Defying the small-bike rulebook with big-bike capabilities
Off-road riders and mini moto enthusiasts dont have to settle for simple
one-size machines with limited performance and cramped ergonomics. Kawasakis
KLX140 dirtbike with its 17 front / 14 rear wheels has opened
the door for a wider variety of riders in the small displacement off-road
arena. More advanced or longer-limbed riders can turn to its sibling, the
larger 19 front / 16 rear wheeled KLX140L. Both 140s are designed
to be beginner and novice friendly, yet offer a roomy layout and enough performance
to suit more-advanced riders.
Starting is an easy affair; just press the power switch and thumb the KLX140s start button for the fun to begin. Nobody likes a dead battery, so the power switch contains an internal LED which illuminates any time the power is on, this means theres never a doubt when the ignition is active. The KLXs accelerative performance can be attributed to the abundant power flowing from its air-cooled SOHC 144cc engine through the five-speed, close-ratio transmission.
Its manual clutch offers young riders the chance to master full control over shifting. To promote an easy learning curve, the clutch features a spring damper that provides a progressive, two-stage engagement and facilitates half-clutch use while riding at extremely slow or idling speeds. Additional benefits of this system are a more direct lever feel and increased clutch durability.
The high-revving, yet quiet, engine is wrapped in a high-tensile steel perimeter frame that is covered by KX-like shrouds, a two-tone seat cover and sharp, aggressive body work. The 140s controls, from the grips to the narrow footpeg/frame relationship combined with large footpegs that make it easier for the rider to move around with a minimum of effort complete the KX-inspired design theme.
Suspension duties are handled a 33mm front fork with spring rate and damping settings specific to the KLX140, and the UNI-TRAK® linkage equipped rear shock features 5-way preload adjustability. To provide more options for growing riders, the more-advanced shock from the KLX140L fits the standard KLX140.
RK EXCEL aluminum rims and high-grade die-cast hubs are another sign this
is a serious off-road bike. A large 220mm front disc and 27mm twin-piston
caliper at the front and 186mm rear disc provide serious stopping power. Both
utilize petal shaped rotors, which help clean the brakes and reduce unsprung
weight for better performance.
Not catering to existing playbike rules, the KLX140 delivers an ideal blend of small stature and big potential that simply equals fun for kid to adult riders.
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
144 cc air-cooled, single-cylinder engine
- Reliable and easy to use lightweight engine is both simple to operate and to maintain
- Bore and stroke of 58.0 x 54.4mm
- Engine revs easily and allows riders to use the full rpm range of the engine up to the rev limiter at 10,500 rpm
- Exhaust pipe is curved to achieve optimum length for good power character yet remain unobtrusive
- Quiet muffler is equipped with a USFS approved spark arrester, meaning the KLX140 can access designated public off-road riding areas
- Oil-moistened air-filter is washable, reusable, easily accessed and highly effective in dusty situations
- Keyless electric starting via handlebar-mounted button
- Orange LED light activates when the power button is depressed, indicating that power is ON and helping to prevent accidental battery drain
- Digital CDI ignition helps ensure quick, reliable starting
- Oval piston-valve Keihin PB20 carburetor features several Kawasaki-original modifications to provide stable fuel delivery under rough off-road conditions
- Partitions in the float chamber keep the fuel from sloshing excessively and an umbrella around the main jet traps fuel when jumping
- Dual air vents help provide a stable fuel supply and eliminate hesitation, even when the bike is at extreme lean angles
- Needle valve is suspended on a spring which acts like a shock absorber
- Float is rubber instead of plastic
- Close gear ratios help the acceleration performance of the KLX
- Shift lever features a ball bearing like the KX models, to ease shifting and has a folding tip for less damage in a crash
Progressive manual clutch
- Manual clutch offers young riders the chance to master clutch engagement and gear shifting
- Spring damper in the clutch provides a 2-stage engagement that permits half-clutch use when riding at extremely low rpm or idling speeds and helps provide direct clutch feel and better durability
Box-section perimeter frame
- Ready for the off-road abuse, the highly rigid, KX-inspired high-tensile steel perimeter frame also uses the same upper tubes as the KLX250S
- Aluminum swingarm offers light weight, strength and a hairline finish like on the KX machines
- KX-style chain adjusters allow precise adjustment of the chain
- 33mm telescopic front fork has spring rates and damping settings specific to each model
- KLX140 rear shock features 5-way preload adjustability
- More advanced KLX140L rear shock and reservoir can be mounted on the KLX140 for faster riders
- Strong, high-grade die-cast hubs that offer the same durability as those found on the KX
- Durable, lightweight RK EXCEL aluminum rims on the 17/14-inch front/rear wheels
Petal disc brakes front & rear
- Front 220mm petal disc and large-bore 27mm twin-piston caliper (same size as those on the KX450F/250F) for strong and easy-to-control braking
- Rear brake uses a 186mm petal disc gripped by a 27mm single-piston caliper
- Rear brake master cylinder features a large-volume, unitized reservoir that contributes to stable braking and helps ensure sufficient fluid pressure is maintained - even when the brake pad wears down
- In addition to helping reduce unsprung weight, the wave shapes of the petal discs help clean the brake pads for more efficient braking performance
- Combination of the flat surface of the frames box-section, long footpegs mounted close to the bikes centerline and no kick-start lever add up to good grip and a high level of machine control available to the rider
- Footpeg/frame relationship is modeled after the KX for maximum leg grip
- Handlebar is rubber-mounted for reduced vibration transferred to the riders hands
- Two-piece upper triple clamp and handle clamp fosters easy aftermarket handlebar installation
- Raised pattern on half of the surface of the grips just like the top-class MX racers
- Two-tone seat cover has a slip-resistant top surface for good grip when seated and smooth sides for excellent rider mobility when standing
Sharp, aggressive bodywork styling
- Box-section perimeter frame, with advanced styling similar to that found on the KX racers
- Two-piece shrouds with ventilation holes inspired by the top-of-the-line KX race machines
- Fuel tank cover provides a flush transition from tank to shroud, and contributes to the high level fit and finish
- Eye-catching box muffler design protrudes as little as possible from behind the side cover, and features a plastic muffler end-cap that offers a surface cooler to the touch than steel
2009 Kawasaki KLX140 - USA Specifications
Engine: Four-stroke, SOHC, two-valve single
Bore x stroke: 58.0 x 54.4mm
Carburetion: Keihin PB20
Compression ratio: 9.5:1
Transmission: Five-speed with wet multi-disc manual clutch
Final drive: Chain
Frame: High-Tensile steel, box-section perimeter
Rake / trail: 27 degrees / 3.3 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 33mm telescopic fork / 7.1 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAK® linkage system and single shock with 5-way preload adjustability / 7.1 in.
Front tire: 70/100-17
Rear tire: 90/100-14
Front brake: Single 220mm petal disc with a dual-piston caliper
Rear brake: Single 186mm petal disc with single-piston caliper
Overall length: 71.7 in.
Overall width: 31.1 in.
Overall height: 41.3 in.
Wheelbase: 49.6 in.
Ground clearance: 9.3 in.
Seat height: 30.7 in.
Curb weight: 205.0 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 1.5 gal.
Color: Lime Green
Wholesale distributor: Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
9950 Jeronimo Road
Irvine, California 92618
2009 Kawasaki KLX140 - Canada Specifications
Type 4-stroke, Single
Displacement 144 cc
Bore and Stroke 58.0 x 54.4 mm
Compression Ratio 9.5:1
Valve System SOHC, 2 valves, screw type adjusters
Carburetion Keihin PB20
Ignition Digital DC-CD
Lubrication Forced lubrication, wet sump
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual, cable operation
Transmission 5-speed, return
Primary drive Gear
Final drive Chain
Primary reduction rati 2.880 (72/25)
Gear ratios: 1st 2.666 (40/15)
2nd 1.894 (36/19)
3rd 1.473 (28/19)
4th 1.181 (26/22)
5th 1.000 (24/24)
Final reduction ratio 3.571 (50/14)
Type Perimeter, box section, high-tensile steel
Wheel Travel: Front 180 mm
Wheel Travel: Rear 180 mm
Tires: Front 70/100-17
Tires: Rear 90/100-14
Caster (Rake) 27°
Trail 85 mm
Front 33 mm conventional fork
Rear Uni-Trak with 5-way adjustable spring preload
Rear: Type 186 mm petal disc
Front: Type 220 mm petal disc
Overall Width 790 mm
Overall Height 1049 mm
Wheelbase 1260 mm
Seat Height 780 mm
Dry Weight 88 kg
Fuel Capacity 5.8 L
Overall Length 1821 mm
Ground Clearance 235 mm
Good Times Protection Plan 24 or 36 months (Kawasaki GTPP coverage begins after standard limited warranty expires)
Warranty 6 months
Colour Lime Green
*Prices and specifications subject to change without notice. The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice. Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market.