Guides & Resources
Advertising & Media
Back to 2009 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
- 2009 Kawasaki KLX250S
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S
THE ULTIMATE LIGHTWEIGHT DUAL PURPOSE MOUNT, THE KAWASAKI KLX250S
A leaner, meaner and greener lightweight dual-sport machine
The fun doesnt have to stop at pavement boundaries when riding Kawasakis street legal KLX250S. This lightweight dual-purpose motorcycle is equally at home on the pavement or off-road and always ready for your next adventure. Now, thanks to significant updates that saw refinements made everywhere from its improved braking prowess to its aggressively styled bodywork, the KLX250S is more fun than ever.
Its compact, liquid-cooled, four-stroke, single-cylinder 249cc engine displaces and employs convenient electric-starting. The KLX250S engine is mounted beneath a lightweight, high-tensile steel perimeter frame to deliver a low center of gravity and enhanced maneuvering on tight trails.
A gear-driven engine balancer means reduced engine vibration for greater comfort and less fatigue on longer rides. The 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor boosts throttle response and contributes to improved power. It also helps to provide increased fuel economy. The addition of a new evaporative emissions system allows it to meet strict CARB regulations, making the KLX250S eligible for sale in all 50 states.
Further refinements appear in the transmission. Closer ratios between 5th and 6th gear enhance the KLX250S high-speed off-road capabilities, while a reshaped shift cam offers a more positive shift feel and promotes firmer gear engagement.
The rigors of off-road motorcycling dictate additional protection for the exposed underside of most machines. The KLX250S comes standard with aluminum engine guards to protect its crankcase during off road adventures. Negotiating tight terrain also highlights another off-road reality heat. The incorporation of dual lightweight, high-capacity Denso radiators and a shallow-footprint cooling fan is an ample solution to potential heat issues.
Its straight-line stability is enhanced by the rigid square-section frame, yet thanks to its short wheelbase the 250S still has outstanding turning aptitude. Complementing the chassis is a new lightweight aluminum swingarm employs a highly-rigid D-shaped cross section and features new KX racing-type chain adjusters for precise chain adjustment.
The new KLX250S also received revised damping settings and reduced wheel travel at both ends, plus an all-new rear suspension linkage. These modifications help to increase straight-line stability, give a more planted feel in corners and make it easier for riders to reach the ground. The 43mm inverted cartridge-style front fork features 16-way adjustable compression damping and 10.0-inches of travel while the revised Uni-Trak® rear suspension has 16-way adjustable compression and rebound damping and offers 9.1-inches of travel.
New wheels feature 0.5mm thicker spokes for increased wheel rigidity and enhanced off-road durability. The KLX250S also offers upgraded stopping power from a twin-piston caliper and a 250mm semi-floating petal disc up front and a larger 240mm petal disc at the rear.
Finishing off this reworked package is a completely new set of aggressively styled bodywork, a re-shaped seat with firmer urethane, and a handlebar with a straighter profile.
Riders seeking enduro handling and modern engine performance in a dual-purpose motorcycle designed for effortless street riding will find it at their local Kawasaki dealership. The KLX250S offers serious capabilities in a fun, easy-to-ride package, regardless of where the adventure takes it.
Single-cylinder 249cc DOHC Engine
- Compact engine design is lightweight and high revving, with a broad torque curve
- Good mass centralization for superior handling
- Flat-top piston and pentroof combustion chamber deliver an 11:1 compression ratio
- Lightweight piston, piston pin and connecting rod enable higher revs for maximum power
- Aluminum cylinder features electrofusion coating, which allows a tight piston-cylinder clearance for greater horsepower and offers increased engine life thanks to superior heat transfer and lubrication retention properties
- A gear-driven engine balancer provides smooth power delivery from idle to redline
- Dual high-capacity, vertical-flow Denso radiators provide reliable and efficient engine cooling
- Radiators feature tightly packed cores and a fin design for excellent heat dispersion
- More consistent engine temperatures allow tighter engine clearances for quieter running and sustained power, while promoting longer engine life
- Cooling fan is powered by a shallow-footprint electric motor
Four Valve Cylinder Head
- Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow to boost low end torque while providing improved high-rpm breathing efficiency for more power
Revised carburetor settings
- 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor delivers the optimum amount of fuel at all rpm, contributing to improved response and power, as well as good fuel economy
- Now available in California, thanks to new evaporative emissions system that meets strict CARB regulations
- Quick and easy push-button starting
- Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release (KACR) automatically lifts one of the exhaust valves at cranking rpm, for reduced starting effort
- Secondary air system helps provide clean emissions
- USFS-approved spark arrester allows the KLX250S to access designated off-road public riding areas
Updated Six-speed Transmission
- Allows engines full potential to be used
- Provides excellent acceleration as well as relaxed highway cruising
- Gear ratios amended to set 6th gear closer to 5th for improved performance
- Revised shift cam offers better feeling and allows gears to click into place with more precision
Improved Inverted Front Forks
- 43mm inverted cartridge fork offers excellent rigidity and consistent damping performance
- Reduced travel to 10.0 in. for increased straight-line stability, improved handling in corners and a lower seat height
- 16-Way compression damping adjustment allows tuning for differences in rider weight or various terrain profiles
UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
- All new linkage and revised damping settings reduce front-rear pitching motions
- Rear wheel travel reduced to 9.1 in, for increased straight-line stability, improved handling in corners and a lower seat height
- Progressive linkage rate provides a smooth ride and excellent bottoming resistance
- The gas-charged shock features 16-way adjustable compression and rebound damping and remote reservoir
- Lightweight, high-tensile steel for amazing rigidity
- No down tubes for lower engine placement and lower center of gravity
- Still has ample ground clearance
- New lightweight, aluminum D-section swingarm is highly rigid and reduces unsprung weight
- New KX racing-type chain adjusters allow precise adjustment to minimize drivetrain power losses
- Revised handlebar is straighter and offers a more relaxed position and effortless control
- Footpegs are positioned close to the bikes centerline
- New seat shape and stiffer urethane makes it easier to change seating position
- Aggressive new look courtesy of a new headlight and front fender design
- Two-piece radiator shrouds styled like the KX motocrossers
- Rear fender is a two-piece unit featuring a sharp tail light design that offers increased visibility and further contributes to the KLXs aggressive styling
Narrow Fuel Tank
- Narrow tank design gives riders maximum comfort and control
- All-digital instrument console gives at-a-glance information that includes a digital bar-graph tachometer, digital speedometer, clock, and dual trip meters
Petal disc brakes
- Front and rear disc brakes offer impressive stopping performance
- Twin-piston caliper grips a 250 mm petal disc up front
- Increased rear brake control provided by a revised lever ratio, new pad material and different caliper
- 240mm rear petal disc is 20mm larger than the old model
- New 4.0mm spokes offer increased wheel rigidity for greater off-road durability
- Tires feature smaller blocks for longer tire life and increased grip on asphalt
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S - USA Specifications
Engine: Four-stroke, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, four-valve single
Bore x stroke: 72.0 x 61.2mm
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Carburetion: Keihin CVK34
Ignition: Digital CDI
Final drive: Chain
Frame: Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel
Rake / trail: 26.5 degrees / 4.1 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 43mm Inverted Cartridge Fork with 16-Way Compression Damping Adjustment / 10.0 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Uni-Trak® with Adjustable Preload, 16-Way Compression and Rebound Damping Adjustment / 9.1 in.
Front tire: 80/100x21
Rear tire: 100/100x18
Front brake: 250mm semi-floating petal disc with two-piston hydraulic caliper
Rear brake: 240mm petal disc with single-piston hydraulic caliper
Overall length: 86.6 in.
Overall width: 32.3 in.
Overall height: 47.4 in.
Ground clearance: 11.2 in.
Seat height: 35.0 in.
Dry weight: 277.8 lbs (280 lbs CA model)
Fuel capacity: 2.0 gal.
Wheelbase: 56.3 in.
Color choices: Lime Green, Sunbeam Red
Warranty: 12 months
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S - Canada Specifications
MSRP $5,799 CDN
Type 4-stroke, Single
Displacement 249 cc
Bore & Stroke 72.0 x 61.2 mm
Compression Ratio 11.0:1
Valve system DOHC, 4 valves, shim under bucket actuation
Carburetor Keihin CVK34
Ignition Digital DC-CDI
Cooling Liquid, twin radiators
Lubrication Forced lubrication, Semi-dry sump
Final drive Chain
Transmission 6-speed, return
Primary drive Gear
Primary reduction ratio 2.800 (84/30)
Gear ratios: 1st 3.000 (30/10)
2nd 2.000 (30/15)
3rd 1.500 (27/18)
4th 1.250 (25/20)
5th 1.050 (21/20)
6th 0.952 (20/21)
Final reduction ratio 3.000 (42/14)
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual, cable operation
Wheel travel: Rear 230 mm
Type Perimeter High-tensile steel
Wheel travel: Front 260 mm
Tires: Front 3.00-21 (51P)
Tires: Rear 4.60-18 (63P)
Caster (rake) 27.5°
Trail 110 mm
Steering angle (L/R) 41° / 41°
Suspension, front 43 mm upside-down, cartridge-type, 16-click compression and 16-click rebound damping
Suspension, rear Uni-Trak with fully adjustable spring preload, 16-click compression damping, 16-click rebound damping
Reat: Type 240 mm petal disc
Front: Type 250 mm semi-floating petal disc
Front: Caliper Dual-piston
Rear: Caliper Single-piston
Overall length 2,222 mm
Overall width 815 mm
Overall height 1,195 mm
Wheelbase 1,440 mm
Ground Clearance 280 mm
Seat height 885 mm
Dry weight 119 kg
Fuel capacity 7 litres
Warranty 12 months
GTPP available 24 or 36 months (Kawasaki GTPP coverage begins after the standard limited warranty expires)
The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice. Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market.
Thank for supporting