46 Years of Models
+ 2017 Motorcycles
+ 2016 Motorcycles
+ 2015 Motorcycles
+ 2014 Motorcycles
+ 2013 Motorcycles
+ 2012 Motorcycles
+ 2011 Motorcycles
+ 2010 Motorcycles
+ 2000 - 2009 Models
+ 1990 - 1999 Models
+ 1980 - 1989 Models
+ 1970 - 1979 Models
+ ATV Guides
+ Concept Bikes
Guides & Resources
+ Beginner's Guide
+ Biker's Dictionary
+ Buyer's Guide
+ Compare Bike/ATVs
+ MPG Guide
+ Maintenance Guide
+ Mfg Compendium
+ Model History Guide
+ Cool Wall
+ Performance Guide
+ Restoration Tips
+ Specs Handbook
+ Tire/Tyre Guide
+ TMW History
+ Travel Guide
+ Shopping Guide
+ Unit Converters
+ Moto Guzzi
+ MV Agusta
+ Royal Enfield
+ Photo Gallery
+ Google Plus
+ Old Photo Gallery
+ TMW Merchandise
Advertising & Media
+ Contact Us
+ Site Map
All content on Total Motorcycle is copyright protected and actively monitored by DMCA Protection Services.
Motorcycle is family owned and operated
By Riders, For Riders, 250 Million readers for over 16 years.
Back to 2009 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
- 2009 Kawasaki KLX450R
2009 Kawasaki KLX450R
Off-road warrior is nimble, quiet, fast and easy-to-ride
Kawasakis 2009 KLX450R may have inherited the lightweight engine and chassis from the multiple championship winning KX450F motocrosser, but it is much more than a high-strung racer with a headlight and 18-inch rear wheel. Designed for the rigors of the off-road world, the KLX450R delivers a wide spread of power with high-traction torque and superior throttle control, combined with the enhanced durability, comfort, and long range thats required in unforgiving off-road environments.
A simple push of the starter button is all thats required to light off the 449cc four-stroke engine. In addition to push-button electric starting, the KLX rider also has the option of using the kick-starter. However, a high-capacity starter motor and compact, high-output battery helps ensure quick and reliable starts under just about any condition a rider might face.
A long lasting, trouble-free engine is the heart of any successful off-road
racing platform. These extra durability traits were engineered into the KLX450Rs
engine via steel exhaust valves and a reservoir tank equipped radiator to
provide efficient cooling during long rides.
The KLX450Rs cam lift and timing, and beefy flywheel are designed to produce good low and mid-range performance. Harnessed to this engine is a wide-ratio five-speed transmission with gears specifically for the demands of off-road competition. The overall result is a gutsy response, ideal for hill climbing, mud holes, or other poor-traction challenge.
Avoiding rider fatigue, whether during a race, or a long weekend of back country exploration, was another top-priority for Kawasakis engineers. To minimize bothersome rider-taxing effects, the KLX450Rs nimble chassis utilizes top-of-the-line suspension components. Up front its Kayaba AOS inverted fork provides superb damping and more precise steering with tuning specifically optimized for light, easy handling characteristics. Oil and air are kept in separate chambers for sustained and stable damping performance during long events and low-friction seals for smooth fork action. Matching the fork is an equally capable Uni-Trak® rear suspension system. Its shock features both high-speed and low-speed compression damping with the suspension arm mounts below the swingarm for a longer rear suspension stroke.
Further enhancing rider comfort is a wider seat with slip-resistant top surface and smooth sides for enhanced mobility. The KLX450Rs 18-inch rear wheel is well suited to absorbing sharp-edged impacts and allows the rider to choose from a wide selection of off-road tires. Among the other off-road features are a two-piece, left-side cover that allows easy access to the air cleaner; engine guards for both sides of the engine; and a works-style aluminum skid plate.
A lightweight digital instrument cluster includes speedometer, dual tripmeter, odometer, and clock. The plastic fuel tank, which meets all environmental regulations, has a 2.1 gallon capacity and a reserve-enabled petcock. Lightweight illumination equipment includes a compact 35-watt headlight with a plastic lens to show the way to the podium and an ultra-compact and energy efficient LED taillight to highlight the part of the KLX450R that competitors are most-likely to see.
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
Ultra-powerful 449cc Liquid-cooled, Four-stroke Single
- 449cc liquid-cooled, four-stroke single with four valves
- Features superb low and mid-range power delivery
- Linear power curve offers plenty of over-rev, for maximum flexibility in choosing shift points
- Cam lift and timing boost low- and mid-range torque
- Camshaft lobes and tappets feature a soft-nitride surface treatment for long wear and high-rpm reliability
- Hand-finished surfaces of the polished intake ports improve intake efficiency at all rpm
- Lightweight 36mm titanium intake valves and aluminum valve retainers reduce reciprocating weight for reliable valve control at high rpm
- 30mm steel exhaust valves for improved durability
- Double valve springs help ensure stable valve operation
- Screw-type automatic cam chain tensioner with oil pressure spring
- Low-friction coating on piston skirt
- Extra flywheel mass provides ultra-smooth engine power delivery
- Crankshaft and connecting rod are sintered for additional rigidity
- Crankshaft, rotor mass centralization, oil circulation, and ignition timing designed for ideal engine braking characteristics
- Large 41mm titanium exhaust header for maximum power
- Tapered exhaust pipe joint helps increase ultra-low rpm power.
- Titanium exhaust pipe heat shield
- Silencer uses long-fiber packing for lower maintenance
- High-capacity Denso radiators deliver superior cooling efficiency
- A reservoir tank is fitted to the radiator, for efficient cooling during long enduros
- Slim radiators feature tightly packed cores and fins designed to enhanced heat dispersion
- The radiator shroud design is optimised for a seated position
- High-capacity starter motor is compact, yet offers high-output to help ensure quick and reliable starts under all conditions
- Lightweight battery is located under the seat and behind the airbox for optimum mass centralization
- Having both electric and kick starters means the KLX450R can be quickly restarted if the engine stalls during an event
- Features highly reliable auto-decompression system; the dual-weight centrifugal decompression system fitted to the exhaust cam eases starting, and its simple construction helps to ensure reliability
Wide-Ratio Five-Speed Transmission
- Features ratios selected="true"="true"="true" specially for off-road racing
- The transmissions gears are designed for high durability
- Ball bearing shift lever for smoother shifting
- Ratchet-type shift mechanism for smoother shifting and a more positive feel
- Lightweight all-aluminum perimeter frame is a composite structure comprising forged, extruded and cast components
- Slim frame profile, two-piece radiator shrouds, and careful bodywork design make the KLX450R feel light and narrow beneath the rider
- Aluminum skid plate
- Fork tuning is optimized for light, easy handling characteristics
- Kayaba AOS (Air-Oil-Separate) fork keeps oil and air in separate chambers for stable damping performance during long rides
- Large front fork damper cartridges offer a more progressive and plush action
- Low-friction fork seals help reduce stiction
- Uni-Trak® rear suspension system mounts the suspension arm below the swingarm, allowing a longer rear suspension stroke.
- Rear shock features dual compression adjustability, allowing high-speed and low-speed damping to be tuned separately
- Alloy swingarm uses cast front section, tapered hydroformed spars and forged chain pullers; the tapered spars are shaped to match the balance of flex and rigidity required of the aluminum frame
- Sprocket style chain roller reduces drive lash
- Petal brake discs front and rear, help reduce unsprung weight and clean the brake pads for more efficient braking performance
18 Rear Wheel
- Durable 18 rear wheel allows fitment of a wide selection of off-road tires
From the Cockpit
- Renthal aluminum handlebars are standard
- Lightweight short-length grips feature a special pattern to reduce vibration transmitted from the bars to the rider
- Seat is wider than the KX450Fs for additional comfort during long enduros
- Seat uses a slip-resistant top surface for good grip when seated and smooth sides for excellent rider mobility
Off-road racing equipment
- Lightweight digital instrumentation includes a speedometer, twin tripmeter, odometer and clock
- Lightweight 2.1 gallon fuel tank is constructed to meet strict U.S. environmental regulations
- Gas tank petcock is fitted with a reserve pickup
- Compact lighting package includes a 35 W headlight with lightweight plastic lens
- Ultra-compact and energy efficient LED tail light
- Two-piece construction of the left-side cover with a special door for easy access to the air filter
- Engine guards protect both sides of the engine
- Includes an aluminum skid plate for added protection from rocks and ledges
- Sealed chain and a side stand are fitted as standard equipment
- California models feature a secondary air system to enable them to meet strict emissions regulations
2009 Kawasaki KLX450R - USA Specifications
Engine: Four-stroke, DOHC, four-valve single
Bore x stroke: 96.0 x 62.1mm
Compression ratio: 12.0:1
Carburetion: Keihin FCR40
Ignition: Digital AC-CDI
Starting: Electric, with primary kick backup
Transmission: Wide-ratio five-speed
Final drive: Sealed chain
Frame: Aluminum, perimeter design
Rake / trail: 27.1 degrees / 4.6 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 48mm inverted AOS-type cartridge fork with 22-way compression damping and 20-way rebound damping / 11.2 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAK® single shock system with 22-way low-speed, two-turn variable high-speed compression damping and 22-way rebound damping / 11.0 in.
Front tire: 80/100-21
Rear tire: 110/100-18
Front brake / rear brake: 250mm petal rotor with hydraulic dual-piston caliper
/ 240mm petal disc with hydraulic single-piston caliper
Overall length: 85.8 in.
Overall width: 32.3 in.
Overall height: 49.4 in.
Seat height: 37.0 in.
Wheelbase: 58.3 in.
Ground clearance: 12.6 in.
Fuel capacity: 2.1 gal.
Curb weight: 277.7 lbs.
Color: Lime Green
Wholesale distributor: Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
9950 Jeronimo Road
Irvine, Calif. 92618
2009 Kawasaki KLX450R - Canada Specifications
Type 4-stroke, Single
Displacement 449 cc
Bore and Stroke 96.0 x 62.1 mm
Compression Ratio 12.0:1
Valve System DOHC, 4 valves, shim under bucket actuation
Carburetor Keihin FCR 40
Ignition Digital AC-CDI
Cooling Liquid, twin radiators
Lubrication Forced lubrication, Semi-dry sump
Transmission 5-speed, return
Primary Drive Gear
Final Drive Chain
Primary Reduction Ratio 2.727 (60/22)
Gear Ratios: 1st 2.167 (26/12)
2nd 1.533 (23/15)
3rd 1.188 (19/16)
4th 0.950 (19/20)
5th 0.810 (17/21)
Final Reduction Ratio 3.846 (50/13)
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual, cable operation
Type Aluminum perimeter main frame, bolt-on aluminum rear section
Wheel Travel: Front 305 mm
Wheel Travel: Rear 315 mm
Tires: Front 80/100-21 (51M)
Tires: Rear 110/100-18 (64M)
Caster (Rake) 27.7°
Trail 122 mm
Steering Angle (Left/Right) 42° / 42°
Suspension: Front Kayaba 48 mm upside-down, cartridge-type, AOS telescopic fork
Suspension: Rear Kayaba Uni-Trak with fully adjustable spring preload, 22-click low speed compression damping, 2-turns or more high speed compression damping, 22-click rebound damping
Front Type 250 mm semi-floating petal disc
Rear Type 240 mm petal disc
Overall Length 2180 mm
Overall Width 820 mm
Overall Height 1255 mm
Wheelbase 1480 mm
Ground Clearance 320 mm
Seat Height 940 mm
Dry Weight 115 kg
Fuel Capacity 8.0 litres
Colour Lime Green
Warranty 6 months
Good Times Protection Plan 24 or 36 months (Kawasaki GTPP begins after the standard limited warranty expires)
*Prices and specifications subject to change without notice. The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice. Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market.