46 Years of Models
+ 2017 Motorcycles
+ 2016 Motorcycles
+ 2015 Motorcycles
+ 2014 Motorcycles
+ 2013 Motorcycles
+ 2012 Motorcycles
+ 2011 Motorcycles
+ 2010 Motorcycles
+ 2000 - 2009 Models
+ 1990 - 1999 Models
+ 1980 - 1989 Models
+ 1970 - 1979 Models
+ ATV Guides
+ Concept Bikes
Guides & Resources
+ Beginner's Guide
+ Biker's Dictionary
+ Buyer's Guide
+ Compare Bike/ATVs
+ MPG Guide
+ Maintenance Guide
+ Mfg Compendium
+ Model History Guide
+ Cool Wall
+ Performance Guide
+ Restoration Tips
+ Specs Handbook
+ Tire/Tyre Guide
+ TMW History
+ Travel Guide
+ Shopping Guide
+ Unit Converters
+ Moto Guzzi
+ MV Agusta
+ Royal Enfield
+ Photo Gallery
+ Google Plus
+ Old Photo Gallery
+ TMW Merchandise
Advertising & Media
+ Contact Us
+ Site Map
All content on Total Motorcycle is copyright protected and actively monitored by DMCA Protection Services.
Motorcycle is family owned and operated
By Riders, For Riders, 250 Million readers for over 16 years.
Kawasaki KX250F Monster Energy
Back to 2009 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
- 2009 Kawasaki KX250F Monster Energy
2009 Kawasaki KX250F Monster Energy
Pure motocross adrenaline in a sinister black wrapper
The 2009 Kawasaki KX250F is a great looking motorcycle. However, the KX250F Monster Energy® ratchets the visual excitement even higher with its stunning black bodywork and wheels, green hubs and silver frame; highlighted by an aggressive Monster Energy graphics set. For the racer who doesnt just want to beat the competition, but completely demoralize them, the sinister looking KX250F Monster Energy is the weapon of choice.
Underneath its ultra-cool exterior appearance, this new KX250F is a hard-hitting contender for the 250 four-stroke crown. Every racer lining up on the starting line wants a machine that can deliver wins yet remain highly reliable. Kawasaki engineers met the challenge and answered these desires with the world-beating racer returning for 2009 completely reinvented with a new slimmer look, lighter handling, better ergonomics and a host of changes to crank up the engine performance and durability another notch.
The 2009 KX250F features a cylinder head with a new intake port design thats smoother, freer flowing, better sealed and utilizes new stronger titanium valves with a longer service life. New factory-level crankshaft balance and a tapered titanium exhaust pipe add up to smoother and more impressive power delivery from the 249cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke engine.
A revised crank web significantly increases the crankshaft balance factor to a level on par with Kawasakis factory racers. The end result is reduced engine vibration, smoother power delivery and a noticeable improvement in low rpm throttle response. From the first crack of the throttle, to wide-open at the rev limiter; this new engine generates controllable, class-leading performance.
The KX250Fs engine cooling capacity was increased via a new water jacket routing for more effective flow and larger radiators with new louvers for enhanced thermal efficiency. Increased from three to four blades, the new louvers are smaller with a shallower angle to flow more air.
Engine oil volume was lowered to 1.3L to reduce weight and mechanical loss while a new KX450F type crankcase scavenge pump oil filter was added for easier maintenance. The transmission durability was boosted with a bigger interval between the gear shafts that allows the use of stronger gears, and there are new, stronger clutch and generator covers.
By switching to a new ratchet drive shift mechanism and integrating the clutch cable holder into the crankcase; Kawasakis engineers were able to deliver improved shifting and clutch lever feel from the new transmission. The lever ratios, spring rates and shaft locations were also revised.
Part of the KX250Fs slimmer feel is its new aluminum perimeter frame and sub-frame. A blend of forged, extruded and cast parts, the new frame uses fewer parts and gussets, is 2.2 lbs lighter than the 2008 model and is designed to provide enhanced stability with a better rigidity balance and improved drive from the rear tire. The main frame spars were reshaped and provide a 6mm narrower overall profile at the riders knees. A new manufacturing process and down tube design shed weight, and work in harmony with relocated engine mounts to improve rigidity balance.
Working in conjunction with the frame revisions is a new aluminum swingarm now pivoting from a higher position on the frame. It is now a lighter, more tapered design with a D profile and a new cross bracket. A longer rear suspension stroke, and thus more precise rear suspension tuning, was achieved by mounting the suspension arm of the Uni-Trak® rear suspension system below the swingarm.
A new rear Showa shock with a large 50mm piston diameter has a revised layout and damping characteristics that offer better response, improved bottoming performance and ride feel. Also featuring a Kashima Coat on the shock internals, the rear shock settings should please riders of all levels.
With the chassis balance and suspension settings tuned to suit experienced racers, the KX250F offers a host of new features for better cornering and handling. Included in the Showa fork upgrades is a Lites-class first; titanium coated inner tubes. This dark navy blue coating not only decreases stiction, but also provides a super-hard surface to help prevent scratches and damage to the tubes. Further contributing to smooth suspension action; the inner surface of the outer fork tubes has a friction-reducing Kashima Coat treatment.
Optimized rigidity balance was achieved by reshaping and stiffening the upper triple clamp, as well as reshaping and decreasing the rigidity of the outer fork tubes. A 1mm reduction in fork off-set, revised suspension settings and enlarged, wrap around tube guards round out the fork enhancements.
Durability improvements werent limited to internal components on the new KX250F. Its larger, resin skid plate and narrower, longer lasting chain guide both offering greater protection without higher weight are examples of the race-oriented durability improvements that abound on the new KX250F.
In addition to giving the 09 KX250F Monster Energy a stunning look, the completely revised bodywork was designed with rider comfort and ergonomics in mind. Part of the sleek bodywork styling, the one-piece plastic shrouds and side number plates offer the rider an even slimmer interface with natural positioning makes it even easier for racers to go fast. Part of the enhanced ergonomics is the improved feel from the wider 50mm foot pegs.
Included in the new design is a slimmer seat design with firmer urethane foam, a non-slip top surface and smooth sides provides good seated grip and excellent rider mobility. The rest of the KX250F is equally impressive, finished with a Renthal aluminum handlebar standard equipment and black plastic covers, triple clamps, number plates, engine covers and wheels, and green hubs
2009 KX450F Product Features
All-new Engine higher performing and more durable
- 249cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke, four-valve, DOHC engine delivers hard-hitting power from mid- to high-rpm
- Engine oil capacity decreased from 1.5L on previous model to 1.3L, reducing overall weight and mechanical losses
New Top End
- New cylinder head has revised intake ports for improved performance at all rpm, especially in the high-rpm range
- Special coating applied to the intake port cores during the casting process gives the intake ports extremely smooth surfaces and increased intake efficiency across the rev range
- Head gasket now silicon coated for improved sealing
- New cam chain tensioner spring reduces mechanical loss by approximately 30 percent
New Intake and Exhaust Valves
- Formed from a new, highly rigid, titanium material, the lightweight 31mm intake and 25mm exhaust valves reduce reciprocating weight and offer greater high-rpm reliability
- Ultra-strong valves have extremely thin valve stems on par with those found in supersport machines with the intake valves featuring 0.25mm thicker heads for increased strength
New Titanium Exhaust Pipe
- Tapered, expanding from approximately 35 to 45mm for better throttle response and performance at all rpm
- New silencer body shape to meet 99dB AMA noise regulations
New Crankshaft Balance
- A revised crank web significantly increases the crankshaft balance efficiency; its now on par with the factory racers
- Results in reduced engine vibration, smoother power delivery and increased performance in the mid-high rpm range
- New 6.4mm wider radiators have a 6 percent larger capacity than previous model
- Very slim, high-capacity Denso radiators feature tightly packed cores and a fin design deliver superior cooling efficiency for excellent heat dispersion
- Radiator louvers increased from three to four and decreased in size and angle for less overlap and higher air flow
- Revised cylinder head water jacket routes coolant via the front of the cylinder head for a more even cooling performance
- Ratchet drive shift mechanism replaces the previous models gear driven system for improved shift feel and durability
- Improved feel at the clutch lever by integrating the clutch cable holder with the crankcase
- Increasing the interval between gear shafts 1 mm further allows stronger gears to be used
- KX450F type crankcase oil filter added
- Relocated scavenge oil filter screen (with new shape) can be accessed without splitting the crankcases, facilitating easier maintenance
- New clutch and generator covers for increased rigidity and better crash survivability
New Aluminum Perimeter Frame
- Frame has a new 6 mm slimmer overall width main spars shape - narrowing near the bend below the seat for a riding position, then widening at the ankles to offer better grip
- Newly designed main, lower and gusset pieces around the fuel tank with revised cross sections
- Rigidity increased by moving upper engine mounts to sides of the head cover
- New design is 2.2 lbs lighter than previous model
- Weight savings and rigidity balance aided by down tube with a smaller cast bracket thats now formed via a swaging (squeezing and hammering) process
- Swingarm pivot is located higher in the frame for improved rear wheel traction
- Sub-frame is 1.3 pounds lighter via larger diameter tubing with thinner walls, yet still provides a secure mounting for the new silencer
New Aluminum Swingarm
- New tapered D shaped cross section design is 5mm taller at the front (up from 74 to 79mm) and 2 mm shorter at the rear (down from 60 to 58mm)
- Features a new cross bracket design
- Provides a 0.9 lbs weight savings over the previous model
- Alloy swingarm uses a cast front section, tapered hydroformed spars and forged chain adjusters
- Uni-Trak® rear suspension system mounts the suspension arm below the swingarm, allowing a longer rear suspension stroke and more precise tuning
- Design improves stability, rigidity and rear wheel traction
New Front Fork
- Showa twin-chamber fork keeps oil and air in separate chambers for stable damping performance during long motos
- Super-hard titanium coating on the outer surface of the inner fork tubes reduces stiction and improves suspension action. The increased surface hardness of the dark navy blue coating also helps prevent scratches and damage to the tubes
- Friction-reducing Kashima Coat on the inside of the outer fork tubes contributes to smoother suspension action, especially during the initial part of the stroke
- Ideal rigidity balance via increased rigidity in the reshaped upper triple clamp and decreased rigidity of the outer fork tubes
- Offset decreased from 24.5mm to 23.5mm, which combined with the frames revised rigidity balance and revised suspension settings, helps produce lighter handling
- Enlarged, wrap around black fork tube guards provide greater protection for the inner tubes
- Revised race-oriented suspension settings offer all-around performance improvement
New Rear Shock
- New Showa rear shock features a revised layout and revised damping characteristics for improved performance
- Better response and improved feeling, even when fully-bottomed
- Features Kashima Coat on the tank cylinder for reduced friction and smoother suspension action
- Rear shock features dual compression adjustability, allowing high-speed and low-speed damping to be tuned separately
- Easier accessibility for tuning
New Skid Plate
- Resin material offers greater protection without a weight increase
New Chain Guide
- More slim and compact, down from 42.7 to 34mm wide, with 2mm thicker wear pad
- Reduced weight and longer wear
Improved Rider Interface and Styling
- Foot peg width (front to rear) increased from 46mm on previous model to 50mm for improved feel
- All-new body work and graphics
- Right side panel has an added passageway to aid in cooling the silencer
- Black plastic covers, triple clamps, number plates, and engine covers
- Rims are coated in black alumite just like the factory racers
- New seat design thats slimmer with firmer urethane for improved ergonomics and feel
- Seat has a slip-resistant top surface for good grip when seated and smooth sides for excellent rider mobility
Monster Energy Edition
- Special Monster Energy graphics
- All-new special black plastic bodywork and green hubs compliment Monster Energy graphics
- Larger front brake lever boot offers increased protection against dust
- Clutch cable boot features a large quick adjuster, for easy clutch cable play adjustment on the fly
- Throttle grip has a one-piece collar that provides additional stability during throttle operation
- Lightweight short-length grips feature a pattern designed to provide excellent grip
- Rear caliper guard protects the caliper from damage
- Ribless rear hub and butted spokes reduced unsprung weight
2009 Kawasaki KX250F Monster Energy - USA Specifications
Engine: Four-stroke single with DOHC and four valves
Bore x stroke: 77.0 x 53.6mm
Carburetion: Keihin FCR37 and hot start circuit
Compression ratio: 13.2:1
Ignition: Digital CDI with K-TRIC throttle position sensor
Transmission: Five-speed with wet multi-disc manual clutch
Final drive: Chain
Frame: Aluminum perimeter
Rake / trail: 27.7 degrees / 4.8 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 47mm inverted Showa twin-chamber telescopic fork with 16-way compression and rebound damping / 12.4 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAK® linkage system and Showa shock with 13-way low-speed and stepless high-speed compression damping, 17-way rebound damping and fully adjustable spring preload / 12.2 in.
Front tire: 80/100-21
Rear tire: 100/90-19
Front brake: Single semi-floating 250mm petal disc with dual piston caliper
Rear brake: Single 240mm petal disc with single-piston caliper
Overall length: 85.4 in.
Overall width: 32.3 in.
Overall height: 50.0 in.
Wheelbase: 57.9 in.
Ground clearance: 13.4 in.
Seat height: 37.6 in.
Curb weight: 229.9 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 2.1 gal.
Wholesale distributor: Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
9950 Jeronimo Road
Irvine, California 92618
2009 Kawasaki KX250F Monster Energy - Canada Specifications
Type Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke single
Bore and Stroke 77.0 x 53.6mm
Compression Ratio 13.2:1
Valve System DOHC, 4 valves
Fuel System Carburettor: Keihin FCR37
Ignition Digital AC-CDI
Starting Primary Kick
Lubrication Forced lubrication, semi-dry sump
Transmission 5-speed, return
Final Drive Chain
Primary Reduction Ratio 3.350 (67/20)
Gear Ratios: 1st 2.142 (30/14)
2nd 1.769 (23/13)
3rd 1.444 (26/18)
4th 1.200 (24/20)
5th 1.045 (23/22)
Final Reduction Ratio 3.692 (48/13)
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual
Type Perimeter, aluminium
Wheel Travel, Front/Rear 315mm, 310mm
Tires, Front/Rear 80/100-21 51M, 100/90-19 57M
Caster (Rake) 27.7°
Trail 122.3 mm
Steering Angle, Left/Right 42°/42°
Type 47 mm upside-down twin-chamber telescopic fork
Compression damping 16-way
Rebound damping 16-way
Type New Uni-Trak
Compression damping 13-way (low-speed), 2-turns or more (high-speed)
Rebound damping 17-way
Spring preload Fully adjustable
Front Dual-piston caliper, single 250 mm semi-floating petal disc
Rear Single-piston caliper, single 240 mm petal disc
Overall Length 2,170 mm
Overall Width 820 mm
Overall Height 1,270 mm
Wheelbase 1,470 mm
Ground Clearance 340 mm
Seat Height 955 mm
Dry Weight 104.3 kg
Fuel Capacity 8 litres
Colour Lime Green
*Prices and specifications subject to change without notice.