46 Years of Models
+ 2017 Motorcycles
+ 2016 Motorcycles
+ 2015 Motorcycles
+ 2014 Motorcycles
+ 2013 Motorcycles
+ 2012 Motorcycles
+ 2011 Motorcycles
+ 2010 Motorcycles
+ 2000 - 2009 Models
+ 1990 - 1999 Models
+ 1980 - 1989 Models
+ 1970 - 1979 Models
+ ATV Guides
+ Concept Bikes
Guides & Resources
+ Beginner's Guide
+ Biker's Dictionary
+ Buyer's Guide
+ Compare Bike/ATVs
+ MPG Guide
+ Maintenance Guide
+ Mfg Compendium
+ Model History Guide
+ Cool Wall
+ Performance Guide
+ Restoration Tips
+ Specs Handbook
+ Tire/Tyre Guide
+ TMW History
+ Travel Guide
+ Shopping Guide
+ Unit Converters
+ Moto Guzzi
+ MV Agusta
+ Royal Enfield
+ Photo Gallery
+ Google Plus
+ Old Photo Gallery
+ TMW Merchandise
Advertising & Media
+ Contact Us
+ Site Map
All content on Total Motorcycle is copyright protected and actively monitored by DMCA Protection Services.
Motorcycle is family owned and operated
By Riders, For Riders, 250 Million readers for over 16 years.
Kawasaki KX85 Monster Energy
Back to 2009 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
- 2009 Kawasaki KX85 Monster Energy
2009 Kawasaki KX85 Monster Energy
Monster Energy graphics give instant credibility to aspiring champions
Under the black plastic, frame and wheels, green hubs and Monster Energy® graphicsjust like the big KXsthe Kawasaki KX85 Monster Energy allows budding racers to look like their Kawasaki racing heroes while following in their developmental footsteps. With this in mind, the KX85 Monster Energy is a perfect choice for young racers to continue building upon their skills and venture into the next level of motocross completion.
The KX85 is powered by a liquid-cooled, two-stroke, single-cylinder 84cc engine that churns out race-winning power, and is packed with high-tech features, such as an Electrofusion-coated cylinder with a narrow squish band and large volume combustion chamber to enhance top-end power.
Fuel delivery for is provided by a 28mm Keihin carburetor that features a crescent-slide to position the needle closer to the intake ports. The Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System (KIPS®) and tuned exhaust pipe contribute to the KX85s tractable power delivery, which translates into better drive off the corners and more control for young riders of varying skill levels.
Hard chrome-finished shift fork ends, a thick base on the clutch basket housing and an additional bushing on the input shaft for extra durability are all features that make the KX85s smooth-shifting six-speed transmission really shine.
The KX85 utilizes a high-tensile steel perimeter frame, with a specially designed gas tank that sits inside the frame, lowering the fuel load and center of gravity for improved handling yet another beneficial feature borrowed from KX85s larger siblings.
Long-travel suspension at both ends helps to smooth out the roughest course for riders of every size and skill level. The 36mm inverted cartridge front fork has the capability of 18-way compression damping adjustment. Out back, the spring preload, compression and rebound damping are all adjustable on the proven UNI-TRAK® rear suspension system.
Those who race their KX85 Monster Energy edition at designated events are eligible to receive support from Team Green, Kawasakis amateur racing support program. Each year, Team Green provides regional support vehicles and highly trained technicians at more than 100 events, offering technical information and assistance to those who race Kawasaki products. Kawasaki also offers a comprehensive contingency program for amateur and professional riders who place well at designated events
Monster Energy Edition
- Special Monster Energy graphics package
- Black bodywork, frame and wheels
- Green hubs highlight the special Monster Energy logos
Liquid-cooled, two-stroke, single-cylinder 84cc Engine
- Lightweight Electrofusion-coated cylinder improves heat transfer while resisting abrasion and seizure
- Bridges between intake and exhaust ports are machine finished for less wear and improved reliability
- Liquid-cooling means even-running temperatures and consistent power output
- Rotor comes with rare-earth magnets the unitized piece is small, light and more efficient with low inertial moment improves low-rpm response
- Connecting rod big-end bearing has more rigid cage for improved durability
- Intake port shape and cylinder skirt allow cooling air into the crankcase chamber
- Primary gear is secured using a lock-nut to help reduce mechanical noise
- Metafoam gaskets for the generator and water pump covers improve sealing
Kawasaki Integrated Power Valve System (KIPS®)
- KIPS system varies exhaust-port height for increased horsepower and torque at all rpm
- Produces a broad powerband with more low-end torque and mid-range, while retaining excellent top-end power
- Breather in KIPS cover improves high-rpm and overrun performance
- Thick base clutch hub rides on needle bearings for smooth action
- Large clutch plates are 119mm in diameter for durability and control
- Clutch-release lever ratio is designed for light clutch lever action
- Clutch plate service cover simplifies maintenance and utilizes a metal-carbon composite gasket
28mm Keihin PWK carburetor
- Large crescent slide carburetor positions the needle closer to intake ports for excellent throttle response and improves power
- Adjustable for various conditions
- Large right-side cutout improves airflow for increased power
- Reusable foam air filter
- Features large-diameter O-ring and groove on exhaust pipe for improved durability and easy installation
- Aluminum silencer is re-packable like larger KX models
- Positive shifting action and rugged durability
- Fifth and sixth gears on the input shaft ride on bushings for added reliability
- Shift forks are hard chrome finished to resist wear and seizing
- Convenient oil level window
- Bushings on the second, third and fourth gears on the output shaft increase durability
High-tensile Steel Perimeter Frame
- Wide footpegs for better control, made of cast steel for strength
- Thick footpeg mounting brackets withstand todays rigorous tracks
- Engine and chassis bolts have rust-resistant coating
- Gas tank design lowers center of gravity for improved handling
UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
- The swingarm uses large cross-section beams for improved rigidity and control
- Cast-aluminum drive chain adjuster sections for easy chain adjustments
- Shock is fully adjustable for compression and rebound damping and spring preload
36mm Inverted Cartridge Fork
- Inverted forks are rigid, providing better steering response and control
- Compression damping is 18-way adjustable
- Aluminum upper fork tubes measure 49.5mm in diameter for flex-free performance
Front and Rear Disc Brakes
- Front brake lever shape offers better feel
- Forged-aluminum rear brake pedal is strong, lightweight and features two seals at the pivot for smooth operation and increased durability
- Strong braking power is achieved with minimal effort
Front and Rear Wheels
- Rear hub features two wheel bearings on the drive side of the hub for durability
- Rear-axle diameter is large for more rigidity
- Aggressive Kawasaki Lime Green and Black graphics just like larger KX models
2009 Kawasaki KX85 Monster Energy - USA Specifications
Engine: Two-stroke single with KIPS®
Bore x stroke: 48.5 x 45.8mm
Carburetion: Keihin PWK28
Induction: Crankcase reed valve
Compression ratio: 10.0:1 (low speed) 9.2:1 (high speed)
Ignition: Digital CDI
Final drive: Chain
Frame: High-tensile steel perimeter design with subframe member
Rake / trail: 27 degrees / 3.5 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 36mm inverted telescopic cartridge fork with 18-way compression damping / 10.8 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAK® single-shock system with 4-way compression and 16-way rebound damping, plus adjustable spring preload / 10.8 in.
Front tire: 70/100x17
Rear tire: 90/100x14
Front brake / rear brake: Hydraulic disc / Disc
Overall length: 71.7 in.
Overall width: 28.9 in.
Overall height: 41.5 in.
Ground clearance: 13.4 in.
Seat height: 33.1 in.
Curb weight: 152.1 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 1.5 gal.
Wheelbase: 49.4 in.
Wholesale distributor: Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
9950 Jeronimo Road
Irvine, California 92618
2009 Kawasaki KX85 Monster Energy - Canada Specifications
Type 2-stroke Single with KIPS
Displacement 85 cc
Bore and Stroke 48.5 x 45.8 mm
Compression Ratio 10.0:1 (low speed); 9.2:1 (high speed)
Carburetor Keihin PWK28
Induction 2-petal carbon-fibre piston reed valve
Ignition Digital CDI
Lubrication Liquid, twin radiators
Cooling Pre-mix (32:1), 2-stroke racing oil
Transmission 6-speed, return
Primary Drive Gear
Final Drive Chain
Primary Reduction Ratio 3.400 (68/20)
Gear Ratios: 1st 2.538 (33/13)
2nd 1.875 (30/16)
3rd 1.500 (27/18)
4th 1.250 (25/20)
5th 1.090 (24/22)
6th 0.956 (22/23)
Final Reduction Ratio 3.571 (50/14)
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual
Type High-tensile steel perimeter with bolt-on steel rear section
Suspension: Front 36 mm upside-down telescopic fork, 18-click compression
Suspension: Rear Uni-Trak with fully adjustable preload, 4-click compression and 16-click rebound damping
Wheel Travel, Front/Rear 275 mm, 275 mm
Tires, Front/Rear 70/100-17 40M, 90/100-14 49M
Caster (Rake) 27°
Trail 89 mm
Front Single-piston caliper, 220 mm disc
Rear Single-piston caliper, 184 mm disc
Overall Length 1,820 mm
Overall Width 735 mm
Overall Height 1,055 mm
Wheelbase 1,255 mm
Ground Clearance 340 mm
Seat Height 840 mm
Dry Weight 65 kg
Fuel Capacity 5.5 litres
Colour Lime Green
*Prices and specifications subject to change without notice.